Looking for street numbering source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for street numbering source

I have seen on various posts the numbering scheme for some streets (Dorset St, etc.) Does anyone know of a source for the other streets in Whitechapel? I have found a source for Brick Lane and Whitechapel High Street, but no luck with the rest.

Do you mean what the address #s were?
    Maybe this will help:

On those pages you will find elevation drawings showing the buildings and the #s assigned to them.

Comment

You can't beat a good trade directory, post office directory, Polling Book, Burgess Roll for street numbering.
      They are in no way complete but what one omitts another includes.

There are also maps available either online or at Local Studies.
      Regards Mike

Comment

Looking for street numbering source

Yes, I am trying to get the sequence of house numbering for each street. For example, Brick Lane from Osborn St to Osborn Place, east side, south to north, #1 through #39, etc. etc. I am trying to create a map showing the pubs with name and street address. I have found alot of pub names and addresses, but do not know where that particular address falls on a particular street. I know some streets were renumbered in the 1880s but apparently not all of them, so a modern map does not help me. I have the ordnance survey maps for 1873 and 1894 but they do not show numbering. I cannot find a map f;or the 1880s that shows numbers. I have seen parts of them on other posts, but cannot find it myself. I do not know how to get a copy of the post office directory. Any help will be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X