A Break in Serial Killing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Break in Serial Killing

So, I heard an astonishing claim that there were no serial killers in the 30s in the US. That it went from Albert Fish (1932) to William Heirens (1945)with nothing in between. I can't off the top of my head disprove this statement. But if it's true, then why is it true?
    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

NOT TRUE AT ALL

Sorry Errata, my hands seized and I couldn't let off the caps
    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Ok. I couldn't imagine it was true, but then when I tried to think of someone who came between those two.... nothing. I can't even think of some uncaught serial killer in that time frame. I mean, statistically I know there had to be some. The Depression would have masked a lot of deaths. But if you know of someone, please share. This is bothering me.

Comment

Perhaps the biggest of all time - The Cleveland Torso Slayer - for one

Also Robert Nixon and Joe Ball
        Last edited by sdreid; 04-13-2011, 06:02 AM.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post

AHA! I should have known that one. My grandmother used to tell me a story that as a little girl she was convinced that a local dressmaker was the Torso murderer because it was the first time she had seen a dress form, and her mom couldn't drag her in that shop because she thought there was a dead body under the dress in the window.

Which is probably why if you run a feeding station for hobos you shouldn't insist that your nine year old daughter help out as a necessary part of christian education. My Grandmother spent her formative years listening to gruesome tales of dismembered poor people and what precisely and in excruciating detail happens to a guy who rolls out of a boxcar in his sleep and falls under the wheels of the train. And I was going to ask her what DOES happen to that guy, but my Grandfather was making retching noises, so I never did.

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post

As well as Chester Comer and Anna Hahn

Perhaps in the 30s some serial killers were able to satisfy their urges and also get paid for it by becoming hit men for the mob.
            This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

A one man crime wave called Carl Panzram was executed in 1930.
              This does not really count, but Carls murderous tendencies were so well developed that i thought his case deserved a mention.
              SCORPIO

Comment

Working...
              X