RIP Peter Wyngarde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Peter.

I was just listening to him last night on the BBC iPlayer.
    He narrated How To Be Sherlock Holmes.

Good memories for those of a certain age. Top Gear did an affectionate tribute to those 70's shows, like Department S and The Persuaders.
    I've only watched the start but I think Mindhorn may have been influenced by the same, maybe more 80's.

The best of those raffish, e-type driving, probably massively un PC nowadays 70's types. Shame he wasn't on screen more often.

Comment

RIP Peter Wyndarde.

Loved Jason King when I was a kid.

He was also a brilliant Langdale Pike in the Grenada series The Master Blackmailer.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

By all accounts a thoroughly nice man, and a better actor than he was given credit for.

Known in the business by the wonderful moniker "Petunia Winegum".

Comment

Oops!

I forgot to include this link to a track from his legendary album "When Sex Leers its Inquisitive Head".

Enjoy!

Peter Wyngardes wonderful wonderful version The Attacks "Neville Thumbcatch" of the 1970 album "When Sex Leers Its Inquisitive Head".http://cosmiclurker.word...

Comment

Cheers for posting that Barn. I’d never heard it before but I had heard that he was a well liked man.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
              Cheers for posting that Barn. I’d never heard it before but I had heard that he was a well liked man.
              No problem Herlock.

The whole album is available to listen to on Youtube.

It is an enjoyably strange experience.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                No problem Herlock.

The whole album is available to listen to on Youtube.

It is an enjoyably strange experience.
                Most of my record collection would be considered ‘strange’ by most
                I’ll give it a listen. I wonder if it beats the William Shatner album
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

RIP Peter Wyndarde.

Loved Jason King when I was a kid.

He was also a brilliant Langdale Pike in the Grenada series The Master Blackmailer.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wy...grtWWyUMknojM:
                  As a Holmes fan I’m embarrassed to admit that I put the wrong episode. Can’t think how I got it wrong but I did. It was ‘The Three Gables.’
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Most of my record collection would be considered ‘strange’ by most
                    I’ll give it a listen. I wonder if it beats the William Shatner album
                    Don't know about the Bill Shatner album, Herlock, but I've heard Leonard Nimoy on LP, and it's a trip!

Afraid I know little about Mr. Wyngarde, but I've seen "Department S" discussed on a board for fans of espionage fiction and drama. It was apparently well-known in its day, though the still posted above is a bit alarming. Will need to check the "Doctor Who" wiki to see which episodes Wyngarde appeared in.
                    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                    ---------------
                    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                    ---------------

Comment

I believe that John Gielgud tipped Peter as a major talent back in the early days.

Dept S and Jason King were the end product of his early roles in similar shows, except that in the earlier appearances he played baddies - but charismatic baddies. He was in the Avengers twice including, I think, the 'infamous' Touch of Brimstone (in which Emma Peel appeared as the Queen of Sin). He was also in the Saint, and made a good Number Two in an episode of the Prisoner.

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                        Don't know about the Bill Shatner album, Herlock, but I've heard Leonard Nimoy on LP, and it's a trip!

Afraid I know little about Mr. Wyngarde, but I've seen "Department S" discussed on a board for fans of espionage fiction and drama. It was apparently well-known in its day, though the still posted above is a bit alarming. Will need to check the "Doctor Who" wiki to see which episodes Wyngarde appeared in.
                        Hi Pat,

Shatner has done more than one album I believe. I know that he did one in 2011. There’s at least one on YouTube. Here’s a song from his 2011 album. I call it a ‘song’ but Shatner never actually sings.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                          He made a good Number Two in an episode of the Prisoner.
                          On camera? Couldn't he have waited for a comfort break?
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                          X