Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Elamarna 27 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Elamarna 39 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by David Orsam 45 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Debra A 58 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Debra A 60 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Elamarna 1 hour and 12 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (73 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (27 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (9 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: The Golden State Serial Killer - (7 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Was Whitechapel really any worse than other areas of London? - (3 posts)
Witnesses: Pearly Poll's Husband - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries > A6 Murders

Old 04-12-2018, 06:50 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Crocker phoned the police after the cartridges were found in Room 24, suggesting that they might have something to do with the man, 'Frederick Durrant', who had stayed there and whose alibi for the evening in question had been confirmed to the police by Juliana Galves. However, as Durrant a.k.a. Alphon had stayed that night in Room 6, how come Crocker thought there might be a connection between him and the cartridges? Or am I missing something here?

Graham
Old 04-12-2018, 09:53 AM
Detective

Default Suitcase?

[quote=Graham;444763]Crocker phoned the police after the cartridges were found in Room 24, suggesting that they might have something to do with the man, 'Frederick Durrant', who had stayed there and whose alibi for the evening in question had been confirmed to the police by Juliana Galves. However, as Durrant a.k.a. Alphon had stayed that night in Room 6, how come Crocker thought there might be a connection between him and the cartridges? Or am I missing something here?

Also , if as we are told Alphon was shown room 24 ,but was only in there a few minutes before leaving and saying ‘I would much prefer a single room’ prompting the manager to make the suggestion of switching if there was a cancellation ,and then the business of a note being left for Pete for when he returned. Where was his suitcase all this time ? In room 24 one would assume.
Who moved it ? Did the note also say ‘by the way your case is still in 24 ,but the door is not locked’ or did Nudds presume to leave his case by the night stand where the key to number six was left ( both , not very agreeable situations) or did Pete lug the suitcase around with him all night? Or am I missing something also?

Last edited by moste : 04-12-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:52 AM
Detective

Default Suitcase

Ok . I now see from Foot, that Pete left the suitcase in room 24 and had the key with him ,so whenever he got back in the early hours ,he had to retrieve his case from 24 then switch keys at reception ,I also see that Foot believes because of the hotel register, that Mr. Bell had signed into room 9.and therefore the room 6 cancellation was false.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:47 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by moste View Post
Ok . I now see from Foot, that Pete left the suitcase in room 24 and had the key with him ,so whenever he got back in the early hours ,he had to retrieve his case from 24 then switch keys at reception ,I also see that Foot believes because of the hotel register, that Mr. Bell had signed into room 9.and therefore the room 6 cancellation was false.
Hi folks - the way that staff and guests were in and out of rooms at the Vienna seems almost like something out of an old Brian Rix farce. Certainly confusing and probably indicating that you didn't have to stay in a particular room overnight to gain access to it or leave something there.

Did Sherrard milk this enough at trial? It's a genuine question as I don't know but wonder if it was (another) opportunity missed by the defence and, per Alfie, a continuation of Hanratty's bad luck.

Best regards,

OneRound
Old 04-12-2018, 04:55 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Hi OR,

yes, a Brian Rix farce indeed. And i think the script-writer/producer was none other that - da-daaah! - good ole Basil Acott. As soon as he heard of the discovery of the cartridge cases and the name Durrant, he thought he had his man, being, as he almost certainly was, aware of the Nastiness at The Alexandra Court. If one or two aspects of his absolute certainty that Durrant/Alphon was his man didn't quite hold together, then doubtless a couple of sessions with Nudds/Glickberg, call him what you will, with that sad person's criminal record on the table between them, soon put matters right, and all it needed now was for Acott to collar Durrant/Alphon. Which he never actually did, in fact, as Alphon surrendered himself. Everything was fine and dandy, Acott was already all glassy-eyed over his certain promotion to Acott Of The Yard, when out of the blue Valerie Storie failed to pick out Alphon at the ID parade. Drat.

OR quite rightly highlights that the Vienna Hotel was an early version of Fawlty Towers, seemingly managed, if that is the right word, by a bloke who wouldn't know The Truth if it smacked him in the face. And then there was Ryan.......

Graham

(Sorry if this is a bit flippant, but I've not long got in from a great musical night out, and the Famous Grouse is going down a treat).
Old 04-12-2018, 05:29 PM
Detective

Thanks, Graham.

I'm recently back home from an an evening out myself. Mind you that was with the boys (ok, miserable old gits like me!). I've had only four pints and so suspect I'm some way behind your goodself.

Anyway, your post is illuminating and entertaining as ever. However, my main question was whether Sherrard sufficiently highlighted the Fawlty Towers type sitcom setting to the jury. Back to you although understand if you want to leave it until late morning.

Sleep well,

OneRound
Old 04-13-2018, 12:47 AM
Sergeant

In view of the undoubted criminality of some of the staff at the Vienna, would it not have been beyond the bounds of possibility that not all the paying guests at the Vienna were put through the books?
Old 04-13-2018, 05:15 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
In view of the undoubted criminality of some of the staff at the Vienna, would it not have been beyond the bounds of possibility that not all the paying guests at the Vienna were put through the books?
A bit like Mrs Jones, as some might suggest? I would think that you're quite correct about The Vienna, Spitfire. During my business travels I do recall staying in more than one small hotel/large pub, in which the visitors' book (which I always signed) didn't always reflect the number of guests I saw at breakfast. Unlike France where it's a legal requirement to sign the book. I wonder if The Vienna's owner was as fearful of hotel inspectors as Basil Fawlty was?

One strange thing about The Vienna - and I've mentioned this before - is that although described as a 'doss house', it was apparently sufficiently up-market to be featured on the large-scale street-map of London in my treasured 1972 edition of the Lucas Road Atlas of Great Britain. Only what one assumes were 'quality' hotels appear on this map. JH did complain about The Vienna's charge for a room, so I'd guess it wasn't such a low dive as portrayed by some. I would also hazard a guess that owner Mr Pichler was practising economy by not employing experienced hotel staff at The Vienna, and possibly didn't bother too much about criminal records, either. Oh, and Mrs Galves was apparently an illegal immigrant, or so I've read.

OR, Mrs Jones certainly went through the mill at the Trial, but I don't recall if any of The Vienna's staff were similarly treated by either Sherrard or Swanwick. Maybe someone with access to the transcript can help here?

Graham

Bit sore in the bonce department today, I am.......
Old 04-13-2018, 09:24 AM
Detective

Default Michael Clarke

Don't know if it's been raised before, but given the fact that the elusive Mr Clarke, the man Valerie mis-identified, was an airman, wouldn't his physical particulars (height, weight, distinguishing marks etc; perhaps even a photograph) have been held on a file somewhere? Considering how crucial his appearance could have been to the defence's efforts to discredit Valerie's testimony, I wonder if Sherrard followed up this lead. If he didn't it was a trick missed (unless, of course, he was afraid Clarke would look more like Hanratty than Alphon).

Last edited by Alfie : 04-13-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:46 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Hi Alfie,

Woffinden says he tried very hard to locate Clarke, and failed. He did discover that he had left the country in 1965, apparently never to return. He also located Clarke's elderly aunt, who lived in Wales, and who said that her nephew's hair was a 'mousey colour'. Whether anyone else since then has made efforts to find Clarke, I wouldn't know, but I should doubt it.

I don't think the Government would be too keep to throw open their military-personnel records to an independent researcher, even though the person being sought must have left the RAF at least 50 years ago.

Graham