Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
    Hi Jon
    Frost was the constable summonsed for Assault. The start of the accounts is below:

Chris, I know you are far too polite to have corrected me, it was, of course Sgt Kuerht (spelling ?) that did the translating, P.C. Froest was the P.C. who inquired after John Sanders.

Comment

• Reflecting on the most common Cyrillic spelling which I found last year - namely, "ДЫМШИЦ" - it struck me that perhaps the name might have originally referred to an occupation. Turns out that "ДЫМ" ("Dym") means "smoke" in Russian, and whilst I could find no direct translation for the particle "ШИЦ" ("$hits"), it's pretty close to "ЩИТ" ("$hit"), which means "to shield, protect or guard" (cognate, oddly enough, with the German "Schutz"). Perhaps, as "smoke-protectors", Louis' ancestors might have been chimney sweeps

Based on the wildcard idea that he might have anglicised his name after settling in the West, I've tried looking for families of "Smokeprotectors" in the census, to no avail.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• You mean to say Diemschutz smoked the good sh*t? I knew those boys were nothing but a bunch of proto-hippies!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
          You mean to say Diemschutz smoked the good sh*t? I knew those boys were nothing but a bunch of proto-hippies!
          I did read that the joint was packed on a Saturday night.

Comment

• Now we know why the windows were cracked.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• A sweep on dope? Was his nickname "Chimney pot"?

Like, uh....supercalafragilistic, man....

Comment

• What does "Dymshitz" mean?

I found this at a site called "toldot.ru". Interesting stuff:

Что значит фамилия ДЫМШЫЦ?

Фамилия Дымшиц (также Домшиц, Дымашиц, Домашицкий, и другие похожие фамилии) произошла от названия деревни Домашицы в Пинской области. Чаще всего, эта фамилия встречается у выходцев из Пинска.

Eвреям Российской империи начали давать фамилии в конце 18-го века, после присоединения к Российской империи западных oбластей Белоруссии, Украины и Прибалтики - после раздела Польши. Тогда Екатерина II получила вместе с западными областями огромное количество евреев, у которых исторически не было фамилий, а только имя и отчество, например "Шлойме сын Хаимке".

Чтобы "посчитать" свих граждан, а также организовать их призыв в армию были введены примерно раз в 10 лет переписи населения. Это и были "ревизские сказки", т.е. перепись населения, во время которой всем евреям были даны фамилии, как правило, либо по месту проживания (например, Вилейкин), либо по имени одного из родителей (например, Шифрин), а также по другим признакам, например, по профессиональному (Шойхет, Резник).
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• With the help of "Google Translate", the above comes out like:

What does the name DYMSHYTS mean?

The surname Dymshits (also Domshits, Dymashits, Domashitsky, and other similar names) came from the name of the village Domashitsy in the Pinsk region. Most often, the name was common in immigrants from Pinsk.

The Russia Empire began [to use] surnames from the late 18th century, after the accession of Russia to the Western Empire [in the areas of] Belarus, Ukraine and the Baltic states - after the partition of Poland. Then Catherine II got together with [a] large number of Jews [in the West] who historically had no surnames, but used only the name and patronymic, e.g. "son of Shloime Haimke".

In order to "calculate" [citizen data], as well as organize [military] conscription, a population census was held every 10 years [...] during which all Jews were given [sur]names, usually either at the place of residence (eg, Vileykin), or [after] one of the parents (eg, Shifrin), [or] on other grounds, such as profession (Shokhet, Resnick).
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• it's been said that many members of the IWAC were Russian-speaking with little comprehension of English. We know Israel Schwartz required an interpreter to give statements to police/press. Does anyone know if Diemschutz could speak English?
                    Last edited by JTRSickert; 01-09-2010, 07:26 PM.
                    I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

• Originally posted by JTRSickert View Post
                      it's been said that many members of the IWAC were Russian-speaking with little comprehension of English. We know Israel Schwartz required an interpreter to give statements to police/press. Does anyone if Diemschutz could speak English?
                      No mention of a translator is made at the time, whether in press interviews or at the inquest, nor at his later hearing for disorderly behaviour in March 1889 - not that the press would have necessarily reported the presence of a translator. It's possible that, like his co-defendant (Friedmann?) in that case, he may have spoken broken English, but enough to be understood.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                        It's possible that he may have spoken broken English, but enough to be understood.
                        I'll be ever grateful, Sam.
                        And I mine hit.

Amitiés,
                        David

Comment

The surname Dymshits (also Domshits, Dymashits, Domashitsky, and other similar names) came from the name of the village Domashitsy in the Pinsk region. Most often, the name was common in immigrants from Pinsk... a population census was held every 10 years [...] during which all Jews were given [sur]names, usually either at the place of residence (eg, Vileykin), or [after] one of the parents (eg, Shifrin), [or] on other grounds, such as profession (Shokhet, Resnick).
                          Incidentally, I posted this in the hope that it might help our census-sleuths out there to track down the elusive Dymshytz (or whatever). Not only from the possible place of origin - Pinsk, Byelorussia, Russia etc - but also because the above suggests to me that he might have adopted a meaningful new surname, such as "Pinski", "Thomas" (after the village, Domashitsy), "Kaufmann" (merchant) or "Kellner" (steward).

There are precedents for this, even within the narrow confines of Ripperology and related cases. We know, for example, that Winchevsky and Lipsky were names assumed by fellow-immigrants with connections to the Berner Street/Batty Street area.
                          Last edited by Sam Flynn; 01-10-2010, 12:14 AM.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

We know ... that Winchevsky and Lipsky were names assumed by fellow-immigrants with connections to the Berner Street/Batty Street area.
                            Hi Gareth,

We also know that Philip Kranz, the editor of the Arbeiter Fraint, was actually called Jacob Rombro. He changed his name on advice from Winchevski in an effort to confuse the ever vigilant Okrana,

Cheers
                            Eduardo
                            Asante Mungu leo ni Ijumaa.
                            Old Swahili Proverb

Comment

• Evening News, Oct. 1st, 1888

I hope this answers your question:

'Diemschitz is a Russian Jew, but he speaks English perfectly. He is a man with more intelligence than is usually to be found amongst men of his class, and in every way is a credit to the neighbourhood in which he resides. This may not seem to be a compliment; but we mean it as such, for our informant is, so far as we are able to judge, an honest, truth-speaking man, on whose evidence we feel that we are able to rely.'

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                              X