Which newspaper published it first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which newspaper published it first?

I am not familiar with the London newspaper of the time. So, I'd like to know, which newspaper would have published the Nichols' murder first on August 31st?

From the this fine website I gathered 4 of them published something in London on the 31st:

The Echo
    The Pall Mall Gazette
    The Evening News
    The Star (4th edition)

For a timeline in a fiction purpose, I'd like to know which of this newspaper was available first during that day.

Thank you.
    Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
    - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

I think that those are all evening papers and so would have hit the streets between 4 and 4:30 in the afternoon on the 31st. Which one actually landed first would be down to a handful of minutes and probably varied every day.

I wait to be corrected as I'm not an expert.

Edit- The 4th edition of The Star would have been later in the evening (after a second and third edition) than the first edition of any of the other evening newspapers.

JM
    Last edited by jmenges; 10-31-2015, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
      I think that those are all evening papers and so would have hit the streets between 4 and 4:30 in the afternoon on the 31st.
      JM
      Thanks. So the Star, 4th edition wouldn't be the first.

I need to know which article to borrow from for a fiction.
      Last edited by SirJohnFalstaff; 10-31-2015, 06:16 PM.
      - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Don't know if this helps but the second edition of the Globe of 31 August 1888 was timed at 12.30pm (but would have been on the streets a bit later than this) and carried the following Central News report:

"SECOND EDITION
        GLOBE OFFICE, 367, Strand, 12.30 p.m.
        ANOTHER WHITECHAPEL MYSTERY
        BRUTAL MURDER OF A WOMAN
        The Central News says: - Scarcely have the horror and sensation caused by the discovery of the murdered woman in Whitechapel some short time ago had time to abate, when another discovery is made, which for the brutality exercised on the victim, is even more glaringly outrageous and horrible. The affair up to the present is enveloped in mystery, and the police have as yet no evidence to trace the perpetrators of the outrage. The facts are that as constable John Neil was walking down Bucks-row, Thomas-street, Whitechapel, about a quarter to four o’clock this morning he discovered a woman between 35 and 40 years of age lying at the side of the street with her throat cut from ear to ear. The wound was about two inches wide, and the woman was lying in a pool of blood. She was conveyed to the Whitechapel Mortuary, when it was found that besides the wound in the throat, the lower part of her body was shockingly mutilated, the injuries, which were of a sickening nature, having apparently been effected with a large knife. As the body lies in the mortuary it presents a ghastly sight. The victim is a woman 5ft. 2in. in height. The hands are bruised and bear evidence of having engaged in a severe struggle. There is the impression of a ring having been worn on one of the deceased’s fingers, but there is nothing to show that it had been wrenched from her in a struggle. Some of the front teeth have been knocked out, and the face is bruised on both cheeks, and very much discoloured. The deceased wore a rough brown ulster, with large buttons in front. Her clothes are torn and cut up in several places, bearing evidence of the ferocity with which the murder was committed. The only way by which the police can prosecute an inquiry at present is by finding some one who can identify the deceased and then, if possible, trace those in whose company she was last seen. In Buck’s-row the greatest excitement prevails, and several persons in the neighbourhood state that an affray occurred shortly after midnight, but no screams were heard, nor was anything noticed beyond what might have been considered evidence of an ordinary brawl."

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
          Don't know if this helps but the second edition of the Globe of 31 August 1888 was timed at 12.30pm (but would have been on the streets a bit later than this) and carried the following Central News report:

Oh. Thanks a bunch! I was following the list under the victim section of the site. The Globe wasn't there.

Thank you very much.
          - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Working...
          X