Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 6 part Jack the Ripper documentary History Channel.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DJA View Post
    First two series were excellent.
    Series three was quite good.
    Waiting for the ski boat,ramp and shark after the fourth.
    Really enjoyed the series,scripts,characters and production has been fantastic,however it's run has finished.

RIP Ripper Street.
    Yeh that pretty much sums it up!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
      First two series were excellent.
      Series three was quite good.
      Waiting for the ski boat,ramp and shark after the fourth.
      Really enjoyed the series,scripts,characters and production has been fantastic,however it's run has finished.

RIP Ripper Street.
      Yep, jumped the shark.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Re H. H. Holmes: Good grief, another descendant out to make money! Conned somebody at History Channel, I guess.

Re "Ripper Street": I don't think the most recent episodes (I've only seen up thru the fourth season, I think) are as awful as some here have been saying, but I do admit some have been a bit like a LVP soap opera, with people keeping secrets from other people all the time.

Still-- I will happily watch anything featuring the gorgeous Matthew MacFadyen, of the wonderful eyes!
        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
          Re H. H. Holmes: Good grief, another descendant out to make money! Conned somebody at History Channel, I guess.

Re "Ripper Street": I don't think the most recent episodes (I've only seen up thru the fourth season, I think) are as awful as some here have been saying, but I do admit some have been a bit like a LVP soap opera, with people keeping secrets from other people all the time.

Still-- I will happily watch anything featuring the gorgeous Matthew MacFadyen, of the wonderful eyes!
          Funny I belong to some ancestors sites, and someone posted today that they had just found that Holmes was some sort of distant cousin.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
            Funny I belong to some ancestors sites, and someone posted today that they had just found that Holmes was some sort of distant cousin.
            Ugh! Of course, Holmes was really a Mudgett, I think. Not a great name to turn up in one's family tree..

I saw "Who Do You Think You Are?" with actress Courtney Cox-- her mother's family turned out to be descendants of English royalty!
            So you just never know...
            ---------------
            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
            ---------------

Comment

I saw "Who Do You Think You Are?" with actress Courtney Cox-- her mother's family turned out to be descendants of English royalty!
              That's nothing....Matthew Pinsent, the Olympic rower, turned out to be related to God.

Comment

With regard to H.H. Holmes, I highly recommend "The Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson. Two great stories combined -- how the Chicago Worlds Fair came about and of course the extremely bizarre Holmes.

c.d.

Comment

Ugh! Of course, Holmes was really a Mudgett, I think. Not a great name to turn up in one's family tree..

Yep Mudgett.

I'm probably descended from the Royal family too. Also a Convict or two.
                  G U T

Comment

Yep Mudgett.

I'm probably descended from the Royal family too. Also a Convict or two.
                    I'm descended from Charlemagne. Also a lot of ordinary farmers.
                    ---------------
                    ---------------

Comment

Commercials for the History Channel documentary called "American Ripper" have begun airing over here. They feature a descendant of "H. H. Holmes" claiming he has worked out the truth about his great-uncle (I think it was, as I don't think Holmes had offspring) being Jack the Ripper.

I'm willing to give it a watch, having read and enjoyed "The Devil in the White City", but I think Holmes is a much better candidate for the Torso Killer than Jack. (More fame in the latter, I guess.)

Check your local schedule; I think the ads say it starts in June.
                      ---------------
                      ---------------

Comment

I'm descended from Charlemagne. Also a lot of ordinary farmers.
                        Yeah and some clergy and an absolute butt load of coal miners. A sailor or three. A Tin miner or two, some brewers. And on I could go.
                        G U T

Comment

Yeah and some clergy and an absolute butt load of coal miners. A sailor or three. A Tin miner or two, some brewers. And on I could go.
                          Genealogy is fascinating, but time-consuming. I've been helping my friend out on her family tree searches on Ancestry, and we recently traced one line to the person who left from Kent, thanks to a free trial access at Findmypast. I need to join up with them again, to check out English and Irish records, I think.
                          ---------------
                          ---------------

Comment

Documentary

Commercials for the History Channel documentary called "American Ripper" have begun airing over here. They feature a descendant of "H. H. Holmes" claiming he has worked out the truth about his great-uncle (I think it was, as I don't think Holmes had offspring) being Jack the Ripper.

I'm willing to give it a watch, having read and enjoyed "The Devil in the White City", but I think Holmes is a much better candidate for the Torso Killer than Jack. (More fame in the latter, I guess.)

Check your local schedule; I think the ads say it starts in June.
                            Thanks for the heads up, Pcdunn! I haven't seen the ads yet, but I will definitely check out the documentary.
                            Bond. Greg Bond

Comment

Genealogy is fascinating, but time-consuming. I've been helping my friend out on her family tree searches on Ancestry, and we recently traced one line to the person who left from Kent, thanks to a free trial access at Findmypast. I need to join up with them again, to check out English and Irish records, I think.
                              Not wrong there.
                              G U T

Comment

Holmes another really interesting non-Jack. And another right Royal ......
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X