No announcement yet.

The Ripper's "Charm"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Ben.Interesting and a pity we dont know anything further about why etc.I must confess I had missed that piece of news.
    My biggest question over the evidence of Schwartz is whether there were two "rippers" operating that night,because if Stride was murdered by BS man,what role was 5ft 11 in "pipe man" playing? Maybe we need to call on Tom for answers
    OK Monty----not on this thread.........

Comment

Ben,
      Only as an "addendum" to above post:it would appear that Hutchinson"s statement to the press ,following his statement to the police, caused the CID at the time to see it as blighting their efforts to trace the suspect by alerting him to the hunt for him and even possibly causing him to change his appearance as a result.So it looks like it wasnt so much that Hutchinson"s statement was "discredited" per se, but that once the press had hold of it ,it interfered with the police search for him.Unfortunately we dont have an explanation from the police themselves at the time as files relating to this matter have been lost.The description Hutchinson gave had been circulated to "police stations" only-not the general public or press.The last important dispute between police and press apparently occurred because of this press description which by the 13th November was in the columns of all the morning and evening papers.
      Ben, which thread do you wish to continue this on...that is if you want to discuss it further ?
      Best
      Norma
      Last edited by Natalie Severn; 10-13-2009, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Hi Norma,

So it looks like it wasnt so much that Hutchinson"s statement was "discredited" per se, but that once the press had hold of it ,it interfered with the police search for him.
        No. It's clear from the Daily Echo that the apparent discrediting of Hutchinson's description was the result of doubt's surrounding Hutchinson's credibility and motivation, and not because the press had got wind of the story. The vast majority of eyewitness descriptions were released to the press, but we know they were kept in circulation without being discarded shortly after their first appearance. Joseph Lawende was apparently used in subsequent identification attempts despite his description making the papers.

Best regards,
        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
          Thanks Ben.Interesting and a pity we dont know anything further about why etc.I must confess I had missed that piece of news.
          My biggest question over the evidence of Schwartz is whether there were two "rippers" operating that night,because if Stride was murdered by BS man,what role was 5ft 11 in "pipe man" playing? Maybe we need to call on Tom for answers
          OK Monty----not on this thread.........
          Does that height and the general description of Pipeman remind you of anyone Nats? Maybe someone rooming on Batty Street?

On the thread matter though....I think charm can be negated when fear enters, and a charming stranger would send off more alarms than ease their fears after a few murders that Fall. Martha, not even assumed to be a Ripper victim, scared the hell out of people. Check the accounts of how active the streets were the immediate weeks following the Double Event.

Caution was all over the place....charm meets caution,....and the effects that charm has are negated.

Best regards

Comment

Was thinking this exact same thing -- about the gifts, just today.

Polly Nichols was very proud of her "jolly bonnet" -- was it new?
            Annie Chapman had new rings, which were stolen.
            Liz Stride had the flower AND left a large piece of green velvet with Cathering Lane
            Catherine Eddowes ??
            Mary Jane Kelly -- the red kerchief
            Could all these have been gifts from JTR? I think most classes of men know certain little facts about wooing -- which might have served to make the women feel safer.

Comment

Curious, that was my opinion as well. others may disagree but we have to remember that at the very least by the time of the Chapman killing, there was this atmosphere of terror generated by the press and the public alike. So, in order for JTR to make his victims trust him more, I think he may have charmed them with the gifts you have mentioned. That is just my opinion, however.
              I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
                Was thinking this exact same thing -- about the gifts, just today.

Polly Nichols was very proud of her "jolly bonnet" -- was it new?
                Annie Chapman had new rings, which were stolen.
                Liz Stride had the flower AND left a large piece of green velvet with Cathering Lane
                Catherine Eddowes ??
                Mary Jane Kelly -- the red kerchief
                Could all these have been gifts from JTR? I think most classes of men know certain little facts about wooing -- which might have served to make the women feel safer.
                Kate Eddowes was wearing a black jacket that she bought while hopping, either just before or while returning, so no "gift" there.

On the other points, Pollys bonnet was new...we dont know where it came from, Annies rings werent new but they were taken even though cheap imitation gold (brass), Liz Stride had no flower on her breast when she left the lodging house but she should have had the 6d she was paid for cleaning the rooms that afternoon until almost 6pm...that flower and the cashous seem like new acquisitions but she did have some dosh....and the police believed as of November 16th that George Hutchinson had made a false statement and his story was then "disbelieved"....so the red hanky or kerchief is still only an element in the Mitre Square murder... on the suspect seen with Kate....without astrakan.

Best regards

Comment

hi, Michael,

Like you, I'd considered Liz Stride's earned money that day as the source for the velvet fabric and the flower.

As such a newbie, I'm not sure what's "fact" and what isn't, but on the information about Annie Chapman, I read: Had three recently acquired brass rings on her middle finger (missing after the murder)

so, I'd wondered about the "recently acquired" part.

Also, I'd wondered about the red silk neckerchief worn by Catherine Eddowes -- it seems "finer" than the rest of her stuff, although she had more listed than any of the others.

I need to search through the threads and become much more familiar with everything, though, before developing any theories myself.

Comment

Working...
                  X