Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - by Michael W Richards 14 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - by c.d. 17 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - by Robert St Devil 23 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - by Michael W Richards 23 minutes ago.
Audio -- Visual: Mention of JtR in recent episode of "The Flash" - by GUT 27 minutes ago.
Audio -- Visual: Mention of JtR in recent episode of "The Flash" - by Pcdunn 29 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (40 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - (13 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (11 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (7 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - (7 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (5 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > General Suspect Discussion

Old 10-30-2017, 08:11 AM
Casebook Supporter

I've considered the killer being eliminated by some local Godfather for some time........
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:14 PM
Detective

I think it by no means improbable. As a result of the Ripper's activities, the East End was swarming with policemen, and the young toffs with money, the ones who'd normally patronize the prize fights and gambling dens, were being treated with suspicion by the locals, and in some cases chased and roughed up. This was bad for business.

Add to that the fact that John McCarthy, Mary Kelly's landlord, is believed by many to have been a major figure in the underworld. Whether or not Kelly was his prostitute, butchering her on McCarthy's own premises would not have best pleased him.

Consider as well how rapidly the excitement died down after the Kelly murder. The Ripper had gone as much as a month previously between killings, but now within a few weeks after the Kelly murder the extra policemen had returned to their regular duties, and much of the East End seemed to just accept that the Ripper scare was over.

I would not be at all surprised to learn that McCarthy and his associates decided that things had gone too far, called in their favours, found out who Jack was (if they didn't already know), and arranged for him to meet a bad end. I doubt if the police would have looked too closely into the matter, even if they knew exactly what had happened.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:48 PM
Detective

Interesting idea. Certainly possible.

Only problem is the underworld has a hard time keeping secrets like this. One of them gets drunk and boasts how he and his boys killed Jack the Ripper, gossip spread etc etc. I think we would hear some form of rumours from this.

But yeah, Jack suddenly stopping is one of the biggest mysteries in this case. Because many criminal profilers admit, a person who commits these type of crimes rarely just stop.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:48 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garza View Post
Interesting idea. Certainly possible.

Only problem is the underworld has a hard time keeping secrets like this. One of them gets drunk and boasts how he and his boys killed Jack the Ripper, gossip spread etc etc. I think we would hear some form of rumours from this.

But yeah, Jack suddenly stopping is one of the biggest mysteries in this case. Because many criminal profilers admit, a person who commits these type of crimes rarely just stop.
I agree. This would not have remained a secret, in fact in time it would have been something to brag about.." I heard that my Da and some of his mates did old Jackie in themselves. Rid the East End of the monster."
Old 11-03-2017, 08:16 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I've considered the killer being eliminated by some local Godfather for some time........
The first time I read about Jack was in a "mystery book" from Reader's Digest.
They claimed his body was found in the Thames, and was killed by vengeful prostitutes.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:14 AM
Chief Inspector

Yes Jack was caught by the London underworld. The local bad boys caught the blaggard! Then they all had a go at the chappie sticking him with steely steel knives, just as in "Murder on the Orient Express" starring Kenneth Branagh as Dr. Tumblety.

For info about RipperCon, in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/

Last edited by ChrisGeorge : 11-04-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:03 AM
Detective

have to agree that although a plausible theory, just cannot see how it would have been kept a secret
Old 11-06-2017, 09:51 AM
Detective

It's an interesting idea, but making it into a workable theory would be tricky, not least because if members of any kind of underworld were responsible, they would, by their nature, be making an effort to cover their tracks and hide the evidence of their murder.

This crops up regardless of if you think the Jewish community hid suspect X, the Masons hid Gull, or criminals made an unknown soul vanish.

If we hear about it, it will be through folk tradition. We will hear rumours that somebody tracked down the Ripper, and whispers that they were done away with. I would worry though, that such stories only choose to remember some aspects of events. For a starter, the story would be that the guy who was taken are of was Jack the Ripper. Whatever evidence there may, or may not, have been, then by golly, that was the guy. If there was any way of checking that, we would be exceptionally fortunate, but more likely, we would only ever be able to say "they got rid of somebody they believed to be the Ripper".

After all, the kind of people who tend to share stories, are the ones who are going to want to believe that version. Take, for example, how some people talk about certain gangsters from more recent times, as honourable men who kept law and order, and were only ever violent against other criminals who definitely deserved it. It may be part of the picture, and part of how they saw themselves, but from slightly different points of view, the picture is a lot less flattering.

That is not to say the idea is impossible, just... that even the best detective work will likely, unless blessed with exceptional luck of other evidence, fall a long way short of certainty (which, to be fair, is true of all suspects, given the nature of the limitations of evidence available so long after the fact).