British 19th-Century Newspapers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British 19th-Century Newspapers

The British Library now has a digital archive of more than 2 million pages from 49 national and regional newspapers published between 1800 and 1900. It can be seen here: http://newspapers.bl.uk/blcs/start.do

There appears to be a modest fee involved for most of us, but it also says: "The digitised nineteenth century British Library newspapers are freely available for people in UK higher and further education, in some UK public libraries, and in some institutions in other countries."

Worth checking out, I'd say.

Thanks for sharing this! Archaic

Comment

I invested in the £9.99 package and came away with over 60 new news reports on the Stephenson and Dawber families, so great result. The only downside is, they don't show you how much you have left on your credit. It just runs out leaving you thinking "Eh?"
      Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
        I invested in the £9.99 package and came away with over 60 new news reports on the Stephenson and Dawber families, so great result. The only downside is, they don't show you how much you have left on your credit.
        If you click on the "My Usage" icon (looks like a battery running down!) it pops up a window that shows you your remaining balance. I've looked at 30 pages, and have 180 credits remaining.

Many thanks to Maurice for drawing this to our attention!
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi, do any of you know if this site allows one to view the news illustrations as well, or is it only the text?

If the latter, and anyone knows where I can view news illustrations online, that info would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
            Hi, do any of you know if this site allows one to view the news illustrations as well, or is it only the text?
            When I have used it at the British Library, it has included a scan of the whole page of the newspaper.

Comment

The pages are actual scans of the newspapers and you can zoom in, print, or save. Some of the newspapers I viewed had a couple of illustrations but I wasn't looking for anything in any of the London newspapers, so I am not sure how they are covered.
              Regards Mike

Comment

Does anyone know if you get reprints of the newspapers on newsprint?

Jer

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post

If the latter, and anyone knows where I can view news illustrations online, that info would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Archaic
                  Hi Archaic

I think it's also true to say that there were for most of the 19th century few illustrations except in publications such as the Illustrated Police News or the Penny Illustrated. Most newspapers would just be straight text.

All the best

Chris
                  Christopher T. George
                  Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                  just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                  For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                  RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                    Hi Archaic

I think it's also true to say that there were for most of the 19th century few illustrations except in publications such as the Illustrated Police News or the Penny Illustrated. Most newspapers would just be straight text.

All the best

Chris
                    Well not quite. There was:

The Pictorial News
                    The Pictorial World
                    The Weekly Dispatch
                    The People
                    The Star
                    The New York Herald
                    Lloyds Weekly News
                    Reynolds Newspaper

To name a few and there were other provincial papers as well.

Rob

Comment

Here's a site I hadn't seen before - Welsh Newspapers Online, provided by the National Library of Wales:

Comment

Thanks for that, Chris.

Comment

Interesting article here on the Chapman murder. A mixture of accurate and inaccurate information - nothing new there - but the description of the building and yard is more detailed than most and includes reference to the rusty padlock on the shed door being broken (Richardson?) and a supposed sighting of "the murdered woman" with a man presumed to be her killer in "The Bells on Brick Lane". Does anyone know if there was such a place?

Thanks from me, Chris, also (especially as it's free!).
                          Last edited by Bridewell; 03-13-2014, 04:44 PM. Reason: Add link and last line.
                          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

G'day Chris

Thanks for the link.
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Welsh Newspapers and Mary Jane Kelly

Thanks for the Welsh Newspapers link !

re the following:

Mary Jane Kellys death...
                              If you look at the bottom of the first column and the top of the second, it states she lived with a Joseph Kelly of Bethnal Green before? Does anybody know about this? Or do you think they meant Joseph Flemming?

Pat....................................

Comment

Working...
                              X