Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Abby Normal 58 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Pearly Poll's Husband - by MrBarnett 2 hours ago.
Witnesses: Pearly Poll's Husband - by MrBarnett 3 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by OneRound 4 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: The Golden State Serial Killer - by Abby Normal 4 hours ago.
Visual Media: HLN's Unmasking a killer-The Golden State killer - by Herlock Sholmes 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (78 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: The Golden State Serial Killer - (12 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (10 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Was Whitechapel really any worse than other areas of London? - (5 posts)
Witnesses: Pearly Poll's Husband - (4 posts)
Maybrick, James: Too Sensible & Competent - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > From Hell (Lusk) Letter

Old 04-23-2009, 12:30 AM
perrymason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
Thanks Christine

but aren't there stories about him being betrayed by a fiance in a way that turned him off to women forever? I don't have a source for the exact quotes.

Thats a story that Sanford Conover a.k.a. Colonel Dunham, relates in regard to FT...but Tumbelty is never quoted saying that himself.

A.P... old bean...being a man who can be engaging with the ladies (see the New York World article that R.J. brought up a couple of years ago with the paen from some dowager) doesn't mean he was intimate in the sense I meant. It still remains to be proven he was intimate with women in a sexual sense.

Thanks for reminding me ...I beckoned ye to the 19th century Nervous Breakdown thread an hour ago.
Hi Howard,

The Colonel that made that statement also claimed Dr T kept uteri in jars. The source alone can therefore be challenged.

Or... was he right about both stories?

Best regards Mr Brown.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:20 AM
Sergeant

Dear Mike:

I think that there are 3 elements of the diatribe provided by Dunham which are usually used or examined the most by us towards "figuring out" Tumbelty...and I'm by no means a Tim Riordan or SPE on Tumbelty's past...but let me give it a shot.

1. The alleged misogyny Dunham claimed Tumbelty expressed towards women..or more importantly, all women or no specific sort of woman. Dunham did not ask why there weren't any prostitutes or women of any particular stripe present in the infamous gathering at Tumbelty's digs...just women,period. From this it could be assumed Tumbelty was misogynistic since he seems to lump them all together. We have,however, seen that he made friends with women during his life, which doesn't prove he didn't harbor some "secret" disdain for the distaff gender...but its evidence that for someone who abhorred women, he nevertheless had social,if not sexual, intercourse. Tumbelty's recitation of the poem written in praise to Tumbelty by the dowager which is within the New York World article ( Jan.?,1889) found by R.J. Palmer seems to be evidence of that.

2. The alleged uteri collection reference by Dunham is another example of one man and one man alone "confirming" this jar full of innards. Could it have existed? Certainly. Yet, in all the reports or stories written by young men who were intimate with him, socially and probably,if not definitely, sexually, there is no mention of these jars at all. One day,maybe one will up,Mike. Until then and since those who lived and traveled with him never mention the jar, I would hazard a guess that its untrue.

3. The third leg of the campaign ( as I see it ) to character- assassinate Tumbelty ( all three legs of the Dunham Diatribe are based on sexual issues,as we see...) was the alleged marriage that Dunham mentions...and no one else. Had Tumbelty been confronted on his alleged misogyny? You bet. The New York World article that Rajah found once again would have been the perfect place to drop that humdinger...that Mr. Pimple Creams had once been a husband. He didn't and I suspect its because like the other tottering legs of the Tumbelty-as-Bad Egg-concept...he never was.

One wonders if there are more examples in 19th century newspaper reports in which Dunham was featured where he did anything similar to someone else to what he did with Tumbelty and that we could research and examine that story. Tumbelty has young men coming out of the proverbial woodwork in the newspapers of the day,but not once is there an example of some woman being of interest to him in a sexual way.

Take it easy and see you later,Mike. I told you,I ain't Tim Riordan,but I tried.

HB
Old 04-23-2009, 02:30 AM
perrymason

That was an A-1 response to my post Howard, thank you.....I enjoyed reading that.

As my post indicated, Im uncommitted at this time.......but sound reasoning used there, Mr B.

My best regards as always Howard.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:40 AM
Cadet

Default Graphology: Pseudoscience

Hey All, Have read the entire thread and wish to return to its original purpose: Graphology.

The following citations of recent research prove that Graphology is bunko! A legitimate Forensic Document Examiner would confine him/herself to the likelihood of two documents being penned by the same hand. All the other psychobabble is in the class with astrology.

CARLA DAZZI, LUIGI PEDRABISSI (2009) GRAPHOLOGY AND PERSONALITY: AN EMPIRICAL STUDY ON VALIDITY OF HANDWRITING ANALYSIS. Psychological Reports: Volume 105, Issue , pp. 1255-1268.
GRAPHOLOGY AND PERSONALITY: AN EMPIRICAL STUDY ON VALIDITY OF HANDWRITING ANALYSIS1
CARLA DAZZI, LUIGI PEDRABISSI
Department of Developmental Psychology and Socialization University of Padua

Summary
The aim of the present work was to examine validity of the graphological method to assess personality traits. The results of two studies are described. In Study 1, the Big Five Questionnaire was administered to a sample of 101 university students who provided a sample of a handwritten text. Two graphologists were asked to detect the same dimensions and facets measured by the Big Five Questionnaire using a 9-point scale. Correlations between the Big Five Questionnaire and graphological evaluations did not confirm the capability of handwriting analysis to measure Big Five personality traits. Also, interrater reliability was very low. Study 2 (N = 102) was carried out using handwritten texts with autobiographical content for the graphological analysis. Two different graphologists and two laypersons were involved. No evidence was found to validate the graphological method as a measure of personality.
http://www.amsciepub.com/doi/abs/10....5.3F.1255-1268

On the basis of meta-analytic findings, this article examines
and summarizes what 85 years of research in personnel psychology
has revealed about the validity of measures of 19 different
selection methods that can be used in making decisions about
hiring, training, and developmental assignments. In this sense,
this article is an expansion and updating of Hunter and Hunter
(1984). In addition, this article examines how well certain combinations
of these methods work. These 19 procedures do not
all work equally well; the research evidence indicates that some
work very well and some work very poorly. Measures of GMA
work very well, for example, and graphology does not work at
all. The cumulative findings show that the research knowledge
now available makes it possible for employers today to substantially
increase the productivity, output, and learning ability of
their workforces by using procedures that work well and by
avoiding those that do not. Finally, we look at the implications
of these research findings for the development of theories of job
performance.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=...N&hl=en&tab=ws

Should We Write Off Graphology?
1. Russell W. Driver2,
2. M. Ronald Buckley2,
3. Dwight D. Frink1
Article first published online: 3 APR 2007
DOI: 10.1111/j.1468-2389.1996.tb00062.x
International Journal of Selection and Assessment
Volume 4, Issue 2, pages 7886, April 1996
Abstract
The scientific study of graphology (handwriting analysis) has had a long history. Many practitioners believe that graphology is a valuable selection aid and use this technique in a selection context, and in some European countries it is quite well thought of. While a few articles have proposed that graphology is a valid and useful selection technique, the overwhelming results of well-controlled empirical studies have been that the technique has not demonstrated acceptable validity. A review of relevant literature regarding both theory and research indicates that, while the procedure may have an intuitive appeal, graphology should not be used in a selection context.

Personality and Individual Differences
Volume 8, Issue 3, 1987, Pages 433-435

Notes and shorter communications
Graphology and personality: Another failure to validate graphological analysis

Adrian Furnham and Barrie Gunter
Department of Psychology, University College London, London WC1H 0AP, England
Received 24 February 1986.
Available online 28 May 2002.

Abstract
A group of 64 adults completed the EPQ and copied out a set text in their own handwriting. Independent coders (reliability 0.89) rated each sample of handwriting on 13 specific features which were correlated with the EPQ. Results showed few significant differences, once again questioning the validity of handwriting analysis.

My apologies for the length of this post, but I felt it is necessary to put graphology in its rightful place!

All the best to all, Mike

P.S. I'm on the fence regarding the "From Hell" letter, but lean towards it being a hoax.

"Twinkle, twinkle little bat."
Old 05-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Cadet

If it was Tumblety, holy crap that "doctor" couldn't write a prescription to save his life. Even a fake doctor should spell better than that.

(goes to peruse her doctors handwriting now)