Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Shades of Whitechapel: The Golden State Serial Killer - by Purkis 34 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by harry 1 hour and 14 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 4 hours ago.
General Letters or Communications: Two authentic comms from the Ripper? - by c.d. 4 hours ago.
General Letters or Communications: Two authentic comms from the Ripper? - by Abby Normal 5 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Herlock Sholmes 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (75 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (24 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (8 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Was Whitechapel really any worse than other areas of London? - (3 posts)
General Letters or Communications: Two authentic comms from the Ripper? - (3 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: The Golden State Serial Killer - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > From Hell (Lusk) Letter

Old 10-08-2010, 03:22 AM
Superintendent

And I'm the dirt under the shoes of Ripperology – at the lowest, lowest spot on the pyramid, as I haven't managed to read Sugden, The ultimate, and Scotland Yard investigates yet. (The latter arrived just yesterday.) And I'm afraid I'm not even sure of how soon I'll be able to read them, due to a situation of intense job/fellowship hunting right now (we're talking 6 different applications with a deadline in early November, so it's safe to say I know too well how Mary Kelly must have felt with the rent, plus I feel like a total whore when asking people for recommandation letters and stuff). As for the new A-Z, I'll wait until the hopefully “redacted“ paperback edition to make a purchase!

Scott Nelson wrote:
Now what's "redact" mean again?

I think in this case (for the British version of Letters from Hell from 1886) “redacted“ means that the translator also changed a few things in the book's content, such as cuts and possibly additions, according to what he expected would interest the British readers vs the German/Danish ones. In the next years I'm supposed to attempt such a “redaction“ of my first book (in German) for its American adaptation, that is, if I manage to optimize the first (German) manuscript for going into print next year, and if I manage to survive the next weeks (which sometimes it feels like it would be better if I didn't, honestly).

Tom Wescott wrote:
I think it means put out there and then pulled back. Like when a woman says 'let's make sexy good times', then when you're fixin' to get jiggy, she says 'you best step off'. What has happened is the woman has redacted her sweet, sweet lovin'.

Tom, bitter, much?
By the way, I haven't managed to re-read your stuff yet (I only read the dissertation on Letters from Hell, and still recovering), but I was curious and looked inside The Old Bailey, but it looks like they don't feature any historical records in there, just current stuff. (?!) Most probably I must have missed something, so I'm gonna look again, when less exhausted.
Things are a bit (Diem-)shitzy right now, but I hope they'll get better soon.
And actually I really meant to thank you, because you (unknowingly) kinda helped me by quoting this “Philip in the Hell's post office“ part from Letters from Hell. Now how I happened to read that article of yours, without knowing you and possibly during my very first visit of casebook, PRECISELY during the time when my boss (named Philip) was “abusing“ me a bit per letter, is a mystery. But it's good to know that a quote from an old and forgotten book can have so much impact today, when quoted in the right situation...
Old 10-09-2010, 03:02 AM
Detective

Default Well said Maria! precisely the theme here.

Well said Maria,
The last line of your last post.(Post! Oh dear!).
Thanks Stewart for posting the chilling cover of your predecesser's book.
And it looks like we all owe TomWescott for breaking the ground for the rest of us.
The title of the book shows just how easy it would be to thread coincidences together and come up with some jim-crack theory about JTR.
Apologies to Stewart for not having read his book Letters From Hell. Doubtless, he will have provided all the answers to my two questions at the head of this stream.
I really enjoyed the coinciding of your earlier experiences Maria.
Marvellous use of well-expressed words from the past to spear recalcitrants from the present!
JOHN RUFFELS.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:40 AM
Superintendent

To Johnr:
I apologize for having posted my trite little story with the coinciding experiences from my (possibly) first visit on casebook, Letters from Hell, and the UofC. Still, it was fascinating to see how the well-expressed words from the Hell post office scene from 1886 instantly "put the fear of God" 123 years later upon my Jewish American boss (despite the both of us being definite atheists).
On another tone, I very much enjoyed your very hilarious post in the A-Z thread!
Pertaining to the OTHER Letters from Hell, by SPE, it just arrived yesterday, and I can't wait to read it, among Sugden, The ultimate, and SC investigates. (Even if I'm afraid it'll take a few weeks until I can indulge in this, after my current terrible workload eases up a bit.)
I'm very impressed too that Tom Wescott discovered Letters from Hell and interpreted the possibilities between the book's title and the infamous Ripper letter already 10 years ago, but I'd almost feel cautious of keep praising him too much for“breaking the ground for the rest of Ripperology“, 'cause, did you see his last 2 posts?! Kinda looks to me like someone's head's about toexplode, Tom? You'd better watch out with that!

Regarding the legend that JTR had suicided after Mary Kelly and the JTR letter sent around the time of the Coles murder and quoting the hymn/Bible passage "He is not dead, but liveth", I'm frankly not too surprised that even hoax letter writers at that time took advantage of these notions.