Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Rippercast: Questions for Michael Hawley - Jack the Ripper Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety - by Sam Flynn 24 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Iconoclast 29 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by GUT 8 hours ago.
Rippercast: One on one with Stephen Senise - by jmenges 9 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Iconoclast 10 hours ago.
Rippercast: Questions for Michael Hawley - Jack the Ripper Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety - by Hercule Poirot 10 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (13 posts)
Witnesses: Spratling Vs Enright - (4 posts)
Rippercast: Questions for Michael Hawley - Jack the Ripper Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety - (2 posts)
Rippercast: One on one with Stephen Senise - (1 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Old 03-28-2018, 11:51 PM
Casebook Supporter

"Tabram- small and larger knife, throat and abdomen targeted"

Tabram sustained more (stab) wounds to the upper body, and even her abdominal wounds (again, stabs) were primarily to the upper abdomen.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:14 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorty View Post
First of all, as I haven't made a post here before, hello everyone! I've been lurking these boards since around 2013.

The point I will make here is not elaborate, and has probably been made before, but perhaps some good discussion can come of it nonetheless. If we posit that JtR was the killer of (or lead to the death of, if we're being pedantic) Emma Smith, and also the killer of Martha Tabram, might it be possible that the thirty-nine stab wounds on Tabram were not the result of an explosive fit of rage or passion, but simply an OTT way of making sure that the victim was in fact dead, with JtR having become aware of Smith's (at least immediate) survival. Again, I apologise that this isn't exactly a brilliant first post; I will endeavour to make my future threads more substantial.

Thanks,
Jmorty
Good points, mirroring to some extent, my own thoughts. I feel that Tabram was likely a Ripper victim. The killer, having struggled to killer, keep her quiet, etc., evolved in future murders to cutting the throat, thus avoiding the struggle and accompanying noise. I'm less convinced with Smith but the possibility exists, provided she wasn't honest about her attacker(s). However, proximity and timing may point to one man having done for Smith, Tabram, Nichols, Chapman, et al.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:24 AM
Detective

Even ignoring the reported gang with Smith, the nature of her attack rules her out as being a Ripper victim for me. The (limited) reporting of the injuries states blunt force trauma to the perineum resulting in a ruptured peritoneum and hence large (but not massive) blood loss and resultant death from peritonitis. In addition she had blunt force trauma to the face. This goes against the canonical five where there was minimal bruising in keeping with hand pressure. That she was a victim of a serious sexual assault resulting in her death is without question, but she just doesn't fit with the Ripper being the culprit.

Paul