Mort à Claybury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mort à Claybury

As I'm lazy and partial, a poor, short and suspect-biased quatrain...

N'ayez plus peur
    De Cutbush et Bury
    Jack l'Eventreur
    Est mort à Claybury...

celui qui me foutre les jetons
    c'est plutot Hutchinson
    http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Et moi donc....
      He's indeed the one I mean...somehow.

Comment

Hello David,

Good to see you back.

Wish I could read this though.
        Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Originally posted by corey123 View Post
          Hello David,

Good to see you back.

Wish I could read this though.
          I'm sure you can !

Thanks mate
          David

Comment

Why do you think that Flemming and Hutch are one and the same ?

Comment

Originally posted by Rubyretro View Post
              Why do you think that Flemming and Hutch are one and the same ?
              Because I don't think there were two diffenrent guys dossing in the VH who would both have known Mary for 3 years and used to give her money at times.

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                Because I don't think there were two diffenrent guys dossing in the VH who would both have known Mary for 3 years and used to give her money at times.
                But surely Hutch would never have come forward as a witness with a bunch of lies if he had once lived with Mary ? He would have at least told the Police about that -because they would be bound to find it out. I would imagine that Joe Barnett knew who Flemming was, at least by sight, as would other men at the Victoria Home.

I think that it IS possible that 'George Hutchinson' was an 'alias' though -but that's for another reason. I got carried away thinking that Hutch might have been in the army at one point, because the silent killing MO linked with the 'ex-groom' bit and 'military appearence' might fit with someone having done a term in the Army. I thought that I would try and 'find' Hutch -but the first bit of preliminary research made me realise that it was very common, and accepted, to enlist under a false name. So Hutch could easily have adopted an 'alias' that way -but some years before 1888.

It would be fascinating to know if Hutch knew Flemming though (and/or Barnett's brother) , and had gotten some info on her that way..maybe that's how he knew that Barnett had moved out ?

Comment

Hi Ruby,

Fleming had only moved into the parish of Whitechapel (and presumably the Victoria Home) in September 1888, and was therefore unlikely to have been very well known there. If he was using an alias at this stage (as he would do later), it is even less likely that either the name or persona of Joseph Fleming was connected with the Victoria Home in the minds of the Miller's Court bunch, none of whom appeared to have known him by sight.

All the best,
                  Ben

Comment

Fascinating, Ben ..I know nearly nothing about Fleming, except that he was a plasterer whom Mary had lived with, that he continued to see her and she was said to be 'fond of him'.

So what do YOU think ? COULD they be the same person in your opinion ?

Comment

'George Hutchinson' as an alias? I'm pretty sure that the existence of George Hutchinson has been well established and I believe a picture of him (as an older man) has even been posted on this site.

Comment

Thanks Ben, you're right (and your English is excellent) !

Comment

Originally posted by Pontius2000 View Post
                          'George Hutchinson' as an alias? I'm pretty sure that the existence of George Hutchinson has been well established and I believe a picture of him (as an older man) has even been posted on this site.
                          Oh yes.
                          For sure, Toppy's pic is a perfect illustration of Reg's tale.

Amitiés
                          David

Comment

'Fraid not, Pontius.

Opinion is divided as to whether or not the old man in the picture was the real George Hutchinson (at least by those who frequent Hutchinson discussions on internet message boards), but it's only a significant minority of commentators who believe that the identity has been "well established". I don't believe the man in the picture had anything to do with the events of 1888.

Hi Ruby,

It's an intriguing possibility at the very least. The only potential fly in the ointment concerns the issue of height. The medical examiners from Stone Asylum listed his height at 6"7', which would tend to rule him out for the "not tall" man in the wideawake.

All the best,
                            Ben

Comment

Kind of you to say so, David.

Good to see you back here.

Comment

Working...
                              X