Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those who say the Ripper case can never be solved are wrong.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those who say the Ripper case can never be solved are wrong.

I often read comments that say, that after so many years, the Jack the Ripper Murders will never be solved and that the killer can never be found. How can anybody know for sure what will happen tomorrow, or in ten years, a hundred or a thousand? Nobody can foretell the unforeseen technological advances of science hundreds and even thousands of years from now: The prospect of mind –blowing artificial intelligences, the work that might be achieved in quantum mechanics that seem to defy the theory of relativity and linear time. Then there is the ability to perhaps explore genetic memory. We also have our continual progress in understanding human psychology. What about the rendering of virtual realities with greater and more detailed resolution? There are always the leaps in forensic sciences. Even our basic understanding of the human condition is progressing. Added to this is the heaping upon knowledge in criminology. All these things, as well as the still classified files that may one day see the light of day, make it hard for me to think the case will not be solved. I think also of the hundreds of thousands of unopened chests, boxes, drawers, rooms, and envelopes holding keys to the past. Everyday somewhere somehow a mystery is solved. Is it strange to think, that of the trillions of souls waiting to be born, they are likely to do better than us? I believe that evolution is true and progress is inevitable. To all those people of the future I suppose I am a caveman. I remember that to say that the case will never be solved is similar to someone in 1888 declaring man can never fly. I am hopeful that our descendants, who will one day conquer the stars, will not want to understand simply to reaffirm what they already believe. I wish that they would be the kind of people with the ability to entertain a new idea. I wish that they so sure of their character that a new idea is a curiosity to their minds. When the Ripper case is solved, as I am sure it will be, it is because of the researchers of today and tomorrow who never said never.
    Author of

"Jack the Ripper, The Works of Francis Thompson"

http://www.francisjthompson.com/

Ooh...

You seem very certain in your belief, but I have yet to read anything that makes me believe in 'case closed'.
    Amanda

Comment

To what standard of proof do you say it can be solved.

Dead certainty

Beyond Reasonable Doubt

Historically consistent

That'll do me as an answer?

They're all different.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

But....

Hi Gut,

You forgot to mention the 'I can prove it with DNA' certainty.

Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda View Post
          Hi Gut,

You forgot to mention the 'I can prove it with DNA' certainty.

Amanda

G'day Amanda

Or even "You can't prove I'm wrong"
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Build time machine. Go back to Whitechapel 1888, November 9th, 1am. Hide under Mary Kelly's bed.

Don't get me started on time dilation.

Comment

Originally posted by J6123 View Post
              Build time machine. Go back to Whitechapel 1888, November 9th, 1am. Hide under Mary Kelly's bed.

Don't get me started on time dilation.
              How does that solve those who say Jack didn't kill her?
              G U T

Comment

Solved !!!!I hope not we would all have to find something else to do with our spare time and all those disappointed people who have convinced themselves they knew the answer will be very upset (me included) last thing we need is this case solved .
                Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

That's a good point GUT, even though it was almost certainly the Ripper. You'd have to go back to the other time points and see if it was the same guy. No, that's wrong. just go and hide in George Yard on the relevant date at the relevant time and arrest the guy who starts strangling Martha Tabrams. then wait a while and if no more prostitutes get butchered, you've got the Ripper. Obviously nobody ever does this otherwise this forum wouldn't exist. Paradox...

As for the case getting solved, well, if Anderson was right then the case actually is solved. Seems a long shot, but....just what if? Something seems to have made him pretty certain. Interestingly, Kosminski and Cohen both appear to have been paranoid schizophrenics. And a guy who slits his victims open in public streets and takes away their uterus....well, he just might have been a paranoid schizophrenic.
                  Last edited by J6123; 03-05-2015, 02:46 PM.

Comment

That's a good point GUT, even though it was almost certainly the Ripper. As for the case getting solved, well, if Anderson was right then the case actually is solved. Seems a long shot, but....just what if? Something seems to have made him pretty certain. Interestingly, Kosminski and Cohen both appear to have been paranoid schizophrenics. And a guy who slits his victims open in public streets and takes away their uterus....well.
                    G'day J6123

And if Macnaghten was right it was already solved, just they had different solutions.
                    G U T

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                      Solved !!!!I hope not we would all have to find something else to do with our spare time and all those disappointed people who have convinced themselves they knew the answer will be very upset (me included) last thing we need is this case solved .
                      We could take up competition Yo-Yoing and crocheting table runners
                      G U T

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                        We could take up competition Yo-Yoing and crocheting table runners
                        No what I will do when this is solved is open a Jack the ripper souvenir shop and sell things like lip balm and yoyos.
                        Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                          G'day J6123

And if Macnaghten was right it was already solved, just they had different solutions.
                          Sorry GUT, I edited my post. Yes maybe, maybe somebody at Scotland Yard was actually right.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                            No what I will do when this is solved is open a Jack the ripper souvenir shop and sell things like lip balm and yoyos.
                            And black Jelly Beans, please Black Jelly Beans for me and Steady.
                            G U T

Comment

Sorry GUT, I edited my post. Yes maybe, maybe somebody at Scotland Yard was actually right.
                              No wuckers, happens all the time, that's one good reason to quote what you are replying to.

Personally I think they should limit the time you can edit, but hey I saw a clever use of editing a quote the other day on a thread that has been deleted that had me [yep moi] making some rather interesting quotes.

I suspect now that there are only about three people who got to see it, but I think the former member was very clever, with what he did.

I think he thought he was insulting me and got even angrier when he discovered that way better people than him and tried that and failed.
                              G U T

Comment

Working...
                              X