Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Robert St Devil 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Robert St Devil 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Sam Flynn 4 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Abby Normal 4 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Abby Normal 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (38 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Kidney, Michael

Old 09-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Sergeant

Just how common is the last name Kidney?

For those with long memories and tenure on the boards, there was the hoaxer Arfa Kidney and his photograph of Aberline.

Don.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Chief Inspector

Hi Tom -I just read your article/dissertation and thought it one of the best written, and best supported, bits of writing that I've had the pleasure to read in Ripper Land.

Two bits leapt out at me though -you claim that that one example of Liz lying, was her claim to having a deformed palate. Garry Wroe cleaned up the photo of Liz dead in the morgue, and she clearly had a deformed lip. This coralated with Neal Sheldon's statement that Liz was known as 'Old Mother Gum' because she had a deformed lip. Liz was clearly born with this deformity (and it couldn't have been caused by anyone putting their foot in her mouth as she escaped from The Princess Alice), but there was clearly 'some' truth in her assertion.....ok a 'palate' isn't a 'lip' -but she did have a deformed mouth.

The second bit of interest to me was :

Quote:
Coroner: Did you see her during that three months?
Tanner: Yes, frequently; sometimes once a week, and at other times almost every
other day.
Coroner: Did you understand what she was doing?
Tanner: She told me that she was at work among the Jews, and was living with a
man in Fashion Street
This exchange is very revealing, and is also quite important as it is coming from a woman who had known Stride for six or more years and had recently been spending much time with her
I have always thought that that the reason that Liz and Kate were targetted
was that they were soliciting for clients attending Jewish Clubs, the night of their deaths. The Statement about 'at work among the Jews ' (which I take as prostituting herself for jewish clients), and the mention of Fashion Street by both Liz and Kate...where there was a Synagogue....certainly gives food for thought.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Sergeant

RubyRetro,

I have always thought that that the reason that Liz and Kate were targetted was that they were soliciting for clients attending Jewish Clubs

In Liz'a case the "work among the Jews" reference almost assuredly refers to her doing odd-job cleaning work for Jewish families, even as she did in Sweden. Hence her supposed ability to speak Yiddish that was learned on the job in Stockholm.

Don.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Sergeant

This is probably not relevant at all but I have read of Jewish families employing gentiles to perform certain tasks for them on the Sabbath since there were many things they were forbidden to do. Apparently, the young Elvis had such a Saturday job with a Jewish family in Memphis.

Best wishes,
Steve.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:14 PM
Sergeant

Steven,

Yes, the so-called shabbos-goy who would do all sorts of tasks on the Sabbath denied observing Jews, like starting fires and the like.

Don.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:19 PM
Commisioner

As an add on, and something that's always intrigued me, Eddowes was initially identified as 'Pheobe the Jewess' in some early news editions.

A possible connection?

Monty

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622
Old 09-14-2011, 11:24 PM
Sergeant

Thanks for confirming that, Don. Didn't know he/she was called the shabbos-goy. Who says religion is crazy?

Best wishes,
Steve.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:50 PM
Chief Inspector

I've read many of Tom's articles and I think this is one of his best.

This has been discussed before, but it has been awhile, so perhaps some of the members who think Kidney may have been Stride's killer would like to comment upon Tom's take on this.

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888
Old 09-15-2011, 12:05 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supe View Post
RubyRetro,

I have always thought that that the reason that Liz and Kate were targetted was that they were soliciting for clients attending Jewish Clubs

In Liz'a case the "work among the Jews" reference almost assuredly refers to her doing odd-job cleaning work for Jewish families, even as she did in Sweden. Hence her supposed ability to speak Yiddish that was learned on the job in Stockholm.

Don.
How is it possible that you can definitely assert that "at work among the Jews" can only mean that did housework for them ? She was a Prostitute
(and I think that Tom's article makes that clear), and she did do cleaning.

I will grant you that I might well be making a false assumption over that quotation : it could mean either, infact.

"at work among the Jews" might mean either 'housework' or 'prostitution' -we can't know for sure.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:11 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
As an add on, and something that's always intrigued me, Eddowes was initially identified as 'Pheobe the Jewess' in some early news editions.

A possible connection?

Monty
Fascinating ! ...I don't know anything about this very strange (given that Eddowes was such a chirpy english sparrow) story...what is the reference ?