Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSG j or d

Hello all ,

I have an idea I would like to run up that proverb able flagpole regarding the actual letters contained within the most controversial word in the GSG ( juwes ). Here is my thinking . A non capitol d written in chalk ( in a round schoolboy hand ) and not quite connecting to the vertical halfway point of the letter, could be quite easily misread as a non capitol j ( as Warren himself had it copied down ) . I know there are many different spellings of the wording , but none of them question the first letter at the head of the word . With the uneasy feelings around the East End at the time regarding the Jews , was this just the most obvious conclusion for the men in that dark stairwell to come up with ? To assume the key word in an otherwise well spelt sentence was a misspelt word somehow pertaining to the Jews ?

Is it possible that the letters following the first letter in the word reinforced in the minds of the men on the scene as to what the actual word was or who it was pertaining to ?

I have tried writing the letter d in the same 3 quarter inch size with chalk , and the result is very similar to a lower case j ( as Warren himself had it copied down ) .

My main point is that the questionable word ( juwes ) could have actually been referring to the German/polish surname ( duwe ) ie ( duwes ) ..

It could be totally unconnected to the murders or it may have some relevance ! but for my mind it makes a lot more sense as an unrelated message from a persecuted member of the duwes family , Maybe directed at someone living in the building.

Maybe the killer noticed it on the way to Mitre sq ( stopping off to take a leak) and thought " i'll give you something to feel persecuted about" .

just thinking out loud ..

moonbegger .

It could be totally unconnected to the murders or it may have some relevance ! either way it is not beyond the realms of possibility that it could have been misread by all present ..

moonbegger

Comment

Can you please spell out how you think it should have been read?

I believe that there has been a discussion on Casebook of whether the word Juwes (or Duwes I suppose) might have been a surname or family name.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Phil H View Post
        Can you please spell out how you think it should have been read?

I believe that there has been a discussion on Casebook of whether the word Juwes (or Duwes I suppose) might have been a surname or family name.

Phil
        Hello Phil ,

thanks for stepping up to the plate

It is just the word ( juwes ) that draws my curiosity . i think there may be a little wiggle room to debate weather or not, the lower case (j) was in fact a lower case slightly imperfect d ( turning juwes into duwes )

I thought the idea at least , would be worth checking out , and maybe even pinning down a family with the name Duwes ( its a German or Polish surname) living in or around the Goulston street area at the time .

I know there are many on these boards that will feel disgusted at the mere suggestion that someone wobbling the wheels on there age old Ripper cart , and may even make a petty attempt to derail this thread .. but at the end of the day its all about making steps forward , not backwards .

I apologize if this has already been discussed casebook , I did check but i was unable to find anything .

cheers,

moonbegger

[The tree is in my garden , if apples do fall and hit me on the head they will not hurt me , go pick apples off your own tree ]

Comment

Sorry .. Family name Duwe !

Comment

The duwes are the men that will not be blamed for nothing ..

Comment

Of course, you've heard of the Hatfields and the McCoys. Well this was Whitechapel, 60 yrs ago we had the Krays, but 60 years before them the Duwes ran the place.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Very good Jon .. although i fear you missed out on a whole bunch more equally unsavory folk in between ..

moonbegger

Comment

Originally posted by moonbegger View Post
                  Hello all ,

I have an idea I would like to run up that proverb able flagpole regarding the actual letters contained within the most controversial word in the GSG ( juwes ). Here is my thinking . A non capitol d written in chalk ( in a round schoolboy hand ) and not quite connecting to the vertical halfway point of the letter, could be quite easily misread as a non capitol j ( as Warren himself had it copied down ) . I know there are many different spellings of the wording , but none of them question the first letter at the head of the word . With the uneasy feelings around the East End at the time regarding the Jews , was this just the most obvious conclusion for the men in that dark stairwell to come up with ? To assume the key word in an otherwise well spelt sentence was a misspelt word somehow pertaining to the Jews ?

Is it possible that the letters following the first letter in the word reinforced in the minds of the men on the scene as to what the actual word was or who it was pertaining to ?

I have tried writing the letter d in the same 3 quarter inch size with chalk , and the result is very similar to a lower case j ( as Warren himself had it copied down ) .

My main point is that the questionable word ( juwes ) could have actually been referring to the German/polish surname ( duwe ) ie ( duwes ) ..

It could be totally unconnected to the murders or it may have some relevance ! but for my mind it makes a lot more sense as an unrelated message from a persecuted member of the duwes family , Maybe directed at someone living in the building.

Maybe the killer noticed it on the way to Mitre sq ( stopping off to take a leak) and thought " i'll give you something to feel persecuted about" .

just thinking out loud ..

moonbegger .
                  Is there any evidence of someone named Duwe living in the building where the GSG was written?

Comment

Hello Beowulf ,

Is there any evidence of someone named Duwe living in the building where the GSG was written?
                    Not to my knowledge Beowulf , although it does not have to be someone living in the building with the family name Duwe .. for my mind it is more likely to be the recipient of the message who lived in the building , the target audience to which the message was aimed at , whoever they may have been . It may well have just been a trivial disagreement between two local family's ( Not Mafia Jon

If anyone has that Ancestry.com malarkey , it might well be worth a search ..

cheers

moonbegger .

Comment

you know it makes sense Rodney

moonbegger .

Comment

A non capitol d written in chalk ( in a round schoolboy hand ) and not quite connecting to the vertical halfway point of the letter, could be quite easily misread as a non capitol j ( as Warren himself had it copied down )

Further more i would suggest you try it for yourself .. duwes

moonbegger

Comment

Not to my knowledge Beowulf , although it does not have to be someone living in the building with the family name Duwe .. for my mind it is more likely to be the recipient of the message who lived in the building , the target audience to which the message was aimed at , whoever they may have been . It may well have just been a trivial disagreement between two local family's ( Not Mafia Jon

cheers

moonbegger .

Comment

Originally posted by moonbegger View Post

cheers

moonbegger .
                            I'm really quite impressed with this theory. I'm not as well versed with all the Ripperology as many here are, seem to know it like their own present day events even, but it seems to be quite a sound theory to me.

I wonder if the police of the day (1888 day) considered it, or thought of it, or what they would think of it.

And when I get a chance to look for 'duwe's' I am I did a bit, not much found. However that doesn't mean much, as what we research now is only what is written down from then. May be no one had cause to record the name.

However, do you mean 'Duwe' to be the ripper's name?

Comment

Hello Beowulf ,

However, do you mean 'Duwe' to be the ripper's name?
                              Now wouldn't that be something !!! Right under our nose all this time ,, I am still of the opinion , that ( IF the graffito did contain the word duwe ) it may well have been the result of a trivial disagreement between two local family's and unconnected to the Ripper , but who knows ? I have also been delving into various search methods and even made a few calls , and it seems there may well have been a couple of family's with the surname Duwe living in and around the area at the time .. one infact may have been a family of market traders . But as of now, I have got nothing concrete . But will continue digging all the same .

cheers ,

moonbegger .

Comment

Working...
                              X