Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mary Ann Connelly as witness being targetted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Ann Connelly as witness being targetted?

Mary Ann Connelly was believed to have seen the men who accompanied Martha Tabram before her death. Connelly was taken before line-ups.

Mary Ann Connelly, who was known as "Pearly Poll" was the witness being sent around to ID them.

Mary Ann Nichols was the next killed. She was also known as Polly Ann.

Notice how similar names could confuse the killer.

Annie Chapman was next.

Stride/Eddowes I can't account for this way...

Mary
    Kelly we can.

Using the words "Mary" and "Ann" we can account for 3/5 out of the canonical ripper victims being prostitutes JtR was looking for.

Stride/Eddowes I can account for if JtR is going around asking for names. He stops Stride to ask her questions. She becomes alarmed by him. He attacks. Schwartz sees him. He makes a Jewish slur. Runs off after killing Stride. Could the same again have happened with Eddowes? This part doesn't make sense. The other 3 do.

If two men killed Martha Tabram then that may explain two of them out looking for the witnesses (explaining Schwartz's witness testimony of a 2nd man).

Does trying to snuff out Mary Ann Connelly have explanatory power for the JtR murders?

I think it may well do.
    Bona fide canonical and then some.

From what I understand with respect to the history of these types of crimes is that if you can find the first instance in a series then this usually provides researchers with more clues than the others and also maybe more personal than the others.

I am inclined to look at Tabram as the first JtR victim as Nichols seems like a blitz attack. Tabram on the other hand was actively with clients near the time of her murder.

JtR is considered a singular murderer by the press. However several witness accounts sometimes describe two people. Tabram is one of those accounts.

Aug 6th - Martha Tabram murdered
    Aug 15th - Mary Ann Connolly goes to line ups
    Aug 23rd - Mary Ann Connolly gives evidence at inquest
    Aug 31st - Mary Ann Nichols murdered

Comment

Stride was also known as Long Liz. There are seven letters in that name EXACTLY the same number of letters in Mary Ann. I think we have nailed it.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
        Stride was also known as Long Liz. There are seven letters in that name EXACTLY the same number of letters in Mary Ann. I think we have nailed it.

c.d.
        I would be very surprised if I was the 1st person to point this out. I can buy the odd coincidences here and there but I can't buy piles of them to make way for some pop suspect.

It would be better to show how the hypothesis can be falsified and then falsify it. Right now I only find Stride and Eddowes being odd but the closeness of their names can't be just random chance.

In short I don't believe the Whitechapel murders are whirlwinds randomly generating complexity we call just coincidental.

I would go as far as to say that coincidences in serial murders are rare or unheard of. Maybe in daily life, sure, aplenty, but not in a series of crimes that have MO and signatures.

Comment

In fact this explains "motive" other than sexual lust killer. It explains the timeline of events and why.

I think this explanation has more going for it than any Polish Jew, boyfriend, suicide doctor, hypothesis.

I think I may have heard a similar theme in the royal hypothesis but that hypothesis while noticing similarities connects it all up with the prince.

I just connect it to a witness who says she can identify the killer of Martha Tabram... and from then on its all downhill for prostitutes with names or who look like that witness.

Gosh, that's soo simplistic as to give Occalm chuckles.

Comment

There's a million of them. Emma Smith was killed, Martha Tabram was next and went by 'Emma' at her lodging house. Both were living in neighboring houses when killed. Also dying mysteriously around this time was a woman named Annie Smith. Annie Chapman's maiden name was Smith. Annie Chapman went by the nickname Dark Annie. Liz Stride's alias was Annie Morris aka Dark Annie. Frances Coles went by the name Kelly, Frances also living with Polly Nichols and would have been an early witness in Buck's Row. Catherine Eddowes gave the police the name of Kelly.

These sort of things go on and on. Which ones if any mean anything is anyone's guess.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Meanwhile in the batmobile Robin ask..why did the killer went after the entrails?
              Clearly the first human laws (way older and already established) spawned organized religion's morality - from which it's writers only copied/stole,ex. you cannot kill,rob,steal (forced,it started civil society).
              M. Pacana

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                There's a million of them. Emma Smith was killed, Martha Tabram was next and went by 'Emma' at her lodging house. Both were living in neighboring houses when killed. Also dying mysteriously around this time was a woman named Annie Smith. Annie Chapman's maiden name was Smith. Annie Chapman went by the nickname Dark Annie. Liz Stride's alias was Annie Morris aka Dark Annie. Frances Coles went by the name Kelly, Frances also living with Polly Nichols and would have been an early witness in Buck's Row. Catherine Eddowes gave the police the name of Kelly.

These sort of things go on and on. Which ones if any mean anything is anyone's guess.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                You made some nice connections there. If these names comprise a good number of women in London then fine. If not then I think statistics would say the likelihood of correlation due to random chance would be low... Meaning not coincidental.

As for mutilations... Started that way with Tabram.
                Last edited by Batman; 11-29-2014, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Girl's names like "Mary", "Ann", "Jane", "Sarah", "Emma" were just very popular back then, also in combinations like "Mary Ann", "Sarah Jane", "Mary Jane". You could probably go out into a crowded street in 1888 and shout "Mary Jane!", and have a dozen women turn around and look at you.

Comment

Originally posted by K-453 View Post
                    Girl's names like "Mary", "Ann", "Jane", "Sarah", "Emma" were just very popular back then, also in combinations like "Mary Ann", "Sarah Jane", "Mary Jane". You could probably go out into a crowded street in 1888 and shout "Mary Jane!", and have a dozen women turn around and look at you.
                    The thing is this. I have no trouble rejecting patterns as coincidences, but then I would have to do that for all of them.

For example, finding a Jew who entered an insane aslyum after the Mary Kelly murder is just randomly finding any Jewish mad scapegoat for these crimes, i.e - Kozminski.

Comment

Although of course JTR's victims were adults, I doubt that there was much change in the popularity of these names between 1850 and the 1880's.

Comment

I can't imagine Jack went around asking prostitutes their names, before deciding which one to murder.

''Sarah? Sorry gotta go.

Miss Marple

Comment

Turns out Chapman lived with Connolly for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
                            I can't imagine Jack went around asking prostitutes their names, before deciding which one to murder.

''Sarah? Sorry gotta go.

Miss Marple

"But my friends call me Sarah Jane" ... slice

Comment

Originally posted by Batman View Post
                              Turns out Chapman lived with Connolly for awhile.
                              No foolin'?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                              X