X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hairdressers of East London

From the 1881 census and 1882 trades directory

Edward Hellwig, Master Hairdresser at 115 Leman Street, Whitechapel

The Hellwigs were all born in Germany. Outside of the Irish, Germans were the largest group of immigrants to England and Wales in the 1800's until Jewish emigration from Eastern Euroupe in the latter part of the century.

Along with Mr. Hellwig, age 46 were wife Emily 45, and nephew Bern Holt Hellwig 16, and lodger Gustave Hellwig 23, both apprentice hairdressers.

An additional four lodgers, all born in Whitechapel were Emma Rothschild 36, married, book folder, and three Rothschild children - Joseph Josekf 6, Ellis (female) 3, and Marie 1.

Thank you Rivkah for planting the idea of this thread, Roy
    Sink the Bismark

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hellwig82.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	664861

Another Hellwig in the 1882 trades list. Bruno, hairdresser age 23, sister Marie 18, and Franz Realke, hairdresser 20. All born Germany. In the census he is listed not Bruno but Thruno. I don't know if that's a translation issue or because I use the free census
    Sink the Bismark

Comment

James Sale Master Hairdresser conducted business at 38 Dorset Street, Spitalfields. He and wife Sarah were age 34, four sons age 1 to 12. All born local. This was in 1882, he does not appear there later.
      Sink the Bismark

Comment

Name:	Best84.jpg
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	664862

In 1884 Louis Best had two hairdresser shops. The address on Portobello Road in West London is still a beauty shop today. The other was in East London where Mr. Best, age 24 lived with his wife Goldo (?) 21. Brother Abraham 19 was also a hairdresser and Isaac Ponn 28 a hairdresser assistant. All born Poland. Conrad Young 18 born Whitechapel was apprentice, and Clara Scott 20, servant born south London.

In history, Minoresses convent was one of the ring of religious houses on the border of London with Stepney Manor, later Whitechapel.
        Sink the Bismark

Comment

In history, Minoresses convent was one of the ring of religious houses on the border of London with Stepney Manor, later Whitechapel.

Some older posters may recall that for a long time it was maintained that there was a Druitt connection to the Minories;

and didn't one of the hoax letters refer to "being at work in the Minories tonight"?

Phil

Comment

If Kosminski spoke Yiddish, he probably would have been able to communicate fairly well with Germans off the bat-- better than he would with the English, at any rate.

Is it plausible that when it was said that he was hairdresser, what was meant was that he worked for hairdresser?

Comment

Originally posted by Phil H View Post

Some older posters may recall that for a long time it was maintained that there was a Druitt connection to the Minories;

and didn't one of the hoax letters refer to "being at work in the Minories tonight"?

Phil
              I believe (from memory so always dangerous) it was one of the so-called Liverpool letters.
              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Exactly Rivkah and it was your idea which started me on this thread. Take a look at the Louis Best group, you could almost picture Aaron Kosminski in the apprentice slot, but there is Conrad Young in real life. Also, thanks for the pointer about Yiddish/German.

Roy
                Sink the Bismark

Comment

From the 1884 trades directory - Adolph Silverston Hairdresser, 8 Leman Street Whitechapel and Max Geduld Hairdresser, 4 & 6 Philpot St.

Marks Geduld in the 1881 census is Assistant Hairdresser at Mr. Silverstone's shop on Leman. Mr. Geduld was 21 years old, born Poland. He then opened his own shop on Philpot St, nearby off Commercial Road and still there in 88.

Mr. Silverstone 34 and his wife Rose 28 were born Poland. They had five young children, four born in London, one Germany. Janette Lewis 21 was the servant born Stepney. And three boarders - Gershaw Kettner, Germany, Hanshaw Timgher, Poland, and Symon Syepssolowich, Russia.
                  Sink the Bismark

Comment

"Hellwig" seems to be an unfortunate name for a hairdresser.

But memorable, so maybe it balanced out in the end.

Best regards,
                    Archaic

Comment

I was going to say that the title of this thread would make an awesome band name, but it just got totally trumped by "Hellwig".
                      The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Hellwig, only topped by Cutbush.

Name:	Harford82c.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	664867

Mr. Cutbush was 60 years old, born Spitalfields, wife Catherine 38, born Stepney. No idea if he has any nephews
                        Sink the Bismark

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
                          Hellwig, only topped by Cutbush.

[ATTACH]15183[/ATTACH]

Mr. Cutbush was 60 years old, born Spitalfields, wife Catherine 38, born Stepney. No idea if he has any nephews
                          Cutbush, while hilarious and inappropriate, not a great band name. There has to be a certain juxtaposition, or rhythmic quality, or just oddity to make a truly great band name. Hellwig makes me think of a cross between Judas Priest and Liberace. Cutbush makes me snicker.

You are after all addressing the eponymous member of Captain Zanzibar and his Velvet Panty Stormtroopers. There were costumes. I don't like to talk about it.

Comment

although under Cutbush, Alfred Blows is an AWESOME name

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
                              From the 1884 trades directory - Adolph Silverston Hairdresser, 8 Leman Street Whitechapel and Max Geduld Hairdresser, 4 & 6 Philpot St.

Marks Geduld in the 1881 census is Assistant Hairdresser at Mr. Silverstone's shop on Leman. Mr. Geduld was 21 years old, born Poland. He then opened his own shop on Philpot St, nearby off Commercial Road and still there in 88.

Mr. Silverstone 34 and his wife Rose 28 were born Poland. They had five young children, four born in London, one Germany. Janette Lewis 21 was the servant born Stepney. And three boarders - Gershaw Kettner, Germany, Hanshaw Timgher, Poland, and Symon Syepssolowich, Russia.
                              "Geduld" is totally a Jewish name; it comes from the Hebrew word for "large," and is like having "Gross" or "Biggs" as a last name, or even "Strong," because "gadol" in Hebrew has different forms and connotations.

Of course "Cadosche" is totally a Hebrew word too, so it could be a coincidence. But, I guess that either a Jewish hairdresser isn't as way-out as it sounds at first, or else they were wig makers who branched out to working on real heads when they got to England.

Comment

Working...
                              X