Does anything rule Bury out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
    Hmm... Maybe, but horses aren't that quiet, especially clip-clopping along dark, silent streets where various potential witnesses claim they "didn't see or hear a soul."

I'm of the opinion that the denizens of Whitechapel all lied about never seeing anyone around the neighborhoods of the Ripper crimes.

Either that, or the Ripper was the Invisible Man.
    But there are so many invisible people....

The postman
    The mum walking down the street with their kids
    The policeman
    Even your neighbour

You don't see them, because they are so common you just don't notice them at all.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
      But there are so many invisible people....

The postman
      The mum walking down the street with their kids
      The policeman
      Even your neighbour

You don't see them, because they are so common you just don't notice them at all.
      I get your point, but I just looked out the window and noticed the man walking two dogs past my house. Of course, neither the man nor the dogs looked familiar to me (unlike the woman in a wheelchair who often passes by with her service dog), so that's probably a good observation.
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
        I get your point, but I just looked out the window and noticed the man walking two dogs past my house. Of course, neither the man nor the dogs looked familiar to me (unlike the woman in a wheelchair who often passes by with her service dog), so that's probably a good observation.
        I'm not sure where this ones going lol.

But bury is a piece of work. I would not rule that m out as the ripper. He's a evil bastard any way you cut it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
          I'm not sure where this ones going lol.

But bury is a piece of work. I would not rule that m out as the ripper. He's a evil bastard any way you cut it.
          Plenty of evil bastards mentioned in relation to JtR to choose from though

Deeming
          Tumblety
          Bury
          Kelly
          Holmes

And on and on.

Trouble is I doubt any of those was Jack.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
            Plenty of evil bastards mentioned in relation to JtR to choose from though

Deeming
            Tumblety
            Bury
            Kelly
            Holmes

And on and on.

Trouble is I doubt any of those was Jack.
            Deeming wasn't there
            Tumblety maybe
            Bury. Well that's just redundant.
            Kelly. Of course.
            Holmes. No. unless you mean Larry Holmes. Then maybe.

Comment

• The sister of Burys wife was supposed t have said that her sister worked in a brothel and Bury met her there.
              Is it known where this brothel was?

Pat..

Comment

• Hi all

A couple of thoughts for what they're worth.

When Eddowes and Kelly came back from hop-picking she said that she knew who Jack the Ripper was so:

Firstly, Eddowes the prostitute would have had many clients obviously but maybe she had regulars. One's that she got to know a little better than others. A possible reason for her getting to know someone a little better would be if they had something in common; like their origins. Both Eddowes and Bury were West Midlanders. Eddowes from Wolverhampton; Bury from Stourbridge. If they'd met up in a pub for example they might have recognised each other's accents and got talking. As we know, Bury used prostitutes. Maybe Eddowes saw his darker side? Maybe he let something slip while he was drunk and a bit less guarded with someone he'd got to know pretty well?

Secondly, in her possessions after death there was a card for a Frank Carter of 305 Bethnal Green Road. The points been made before that people often took names to do with their trades (I seem to recall Sievey, a sieve maker) Well, Bury conducted his business from a cart. It's not unlikely that Bury would be the kind of character to use a false name. Might he have had a card made up to give himself the appearance of a legitimate trader? Also, I've just checked, 305 Bethnal Green Road is in the constituency of Bethnal Green and Bow. Bury, I believe, lived in Bow.

Regards
                Herlock
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                  Hi all

A couple of thoughts for what they're worth.

When Eddowes and Kelly came back from hop-picking she said that she knew who Jack the Ripper was so:

Firstly, Eddowes the prostitute would have had many clients obviously but maybe she had regulars. One's that she got to know a little better than others. A possible reason for her getting to know someone a little better would be if they had something in common; like their origins. Both Eddowes and Bury were West Midlanders. Eddowes from Wolverhampton; Bury from Stourbridge. If they'd met up in a pub for example they might have recognised each other's accents and got talking. As we know, Bury used prostitutes. Maybe Eddowes saw his darker side? Maybe he let something slip while he was drunk and a bit less guarded with someone he'd got to know pretty well?

Secondly, in her possessions after death there was a card for a Frank Carter of 305 Bethnal Green Road. The points been made before that people often took names to do with their trades (I seem to recall Sievey, a sieve maker) Well, Bury conducted his business from a cart. It's not unlikely that Bury would be the kind of character to use a false name. Might he have had a card made up to give himself the appearance of a legitimate trader? Also, I've just checked, 305 Bethnal Green Road is in the constituency of Bethnal Green and Bow. Bury, I believe, lived in Bow.

Regards
                  Herlock
                  Hi, Herlock,
                  You've hit upon one of my favorite intriguing possibilities -- Eddowes and Bury knowing each other.

However, it goes much deeper than you've already suspected. It is possible they were related. I forget exactly how it goes, but they both have Evans in their families. I believe her mother and his grandmother -- or vice versa.

Plus, the two families actually lived within a few blocks of each other in, I believe, Wolverhampton. However, by the time William Bury arrived there, Katherine Eddowes had already left with Thomas Conway, but her aunt was living there at the time Bury lived in the neighborhood.

As you see and Bill Beadle, I and many others have also seen there are interesting possibilities.

It's easy to imagine the family knowing something was bad wrong with William Henry Bury as he was growing up. Families often seem to know when they have a bad'un amongst them.

If Eddowes stayed in touch with the aunt, she could easily have known about him or gotten word through other family members. Then, she could have run into him in the East End.

Can't stop myself wondering either. . . just sorry that my memory is not working right now.

curious

Comment

• Originally posted by curious View Post
                    Hi, Herlock,
                    You've hit upon one of my favorite intriguing possibilities -- Eddowes and Bury knowing each other.

However, it goes much deeper than you've already suspected. It is possible they were related. I forget exactly how it goes, but they both have Evans in their families. I believe her mother and his grandmother -- or vice versa.

Plus, the two families actually lived within a few blocks of each other in, I believe, Wolverhampton. However, by the time William Bury arrived there, Katherine Eddowes had already left with Thomas Conway, but her aunt was living there at the time Bury lived in the neighborhood.

As you see and Bill Beadle, I and many others have also seen there are interesting possibilities.

It's easy to imagine the family knowing something was bad wrong with William Henry Bury as he was growing up. Families often seem to know when they have a bad'un amongst them.

If Eddowes stayed in touch with the aunt, she could easily have known about him or gotten word through other family members. Then, she could have run into him in the East End.

Can't stop myself wondering either. . . just sorry that my memory is not working right now.

curious
                    Hi Curious

I can't recall, was the possible link mentioned in Unmasking JTR? I wouldnt like to claim that I arrived at an idea if it was just a case of having read about it and forgetting that I'd read it!
                    I've had the thought for quite a while but I'm a fairly new poster her and I've spent most most of my posting time arguing against Lechmere's candidacy.

I live very near to both Wolverhampton and Stourbridge so I initially wondered, if they were both ever in the same pub, one might have recognised the others accent and gravitated towards them?

The Frank Carter idea is, obviously, just a notion. But if Carter couldn't be found, even after knowing his 'address' maybe he didn't actually exist? Then I thought of 'Carter as a possible hint at an occupation,' obviously Bury used a cart.

Regards
                    Herlock
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• A Frank Carter was listed at 295 Bethnal Green Road on the 1899 electoral register. At least one of the newspapers who reported the card found amongst Catherine Eddowes's possessions gave Carter's address as 405 Bethnal Green Road, and the others said 305.

There was also a family called Carter at 414 Bethnal Green Road in the 1881 census and one who ran the Green Gate public house at 230 Bethnal Green Road until c. 1891.

Comment

Hi Curious

I can't recall, was the possible link mentioned in Unmasking JTR? I wouldnt like to claim that I arrived at an idea if it was just a case of having read about it and forgetting that I'd read it!
                        I've had the thought for quite a while but I'm a fairly new poster her and I've spent most most of my posting time arguing against Lechmere's candidacy.

I live very near to both Wolverhampton and Stourbridge so I initially wondered, if they were both ever in the same pub, one might have recognised the others accent and gravitated towards them?

The Frank Carter idea is, obviously, just a notion. But if Carter couldn't be found, even after knowing his 'address' maybe he didn't actually exist? Then I thought of 'Carter as a possible hint at an occupation,' obviously Bury used a cart.

Regards
                        Herlock
                        I don't recall all the ins and outs of the possibilities with Bury, but he caught my attention at the beginning. Like you and I think a lot of others on here, I tumble things around in my head.

In any case, Bury's certainly an interesting character.

keep thinking.

curious

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulWilliams View Post
                          A Frank Carter was listed at 295 Bethnal Green Road on the 1899 electoral register. At least one of the newspapers who reported the card found amongst Catherine Eddowes's possessions gave Carter's address as 405 Bethnal Green Road, and the others said 305.

There was also a family called Carter at 414 Bethnal Green Road in the 1881 census and one who ran the Green Gate public house at 230 Bethnal Green Road until c. 1891.
                          Thanks for that Paul

Regards
                          Herlock
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Hi Herlock... and everyone else

I myself am a native of the Birmingham and Black Country area and have occasionally entertained the thought that Eddowes and Bury may have "known" each other. How close or lengthy that knowledge was we'll never know, but it still interests me.

John

Comment

Firstly, Eddowes the prostitute would have had many clients obviously but maybe she had regulars.
                              Of the Canonical Five, Eddowes (and Chapman) strikes me as the least likely to have been a regular prostitute. She was in a stable, apparently loving, relationship for one thing, which was more than the other victims could boast. Like many others, she may have resorted to casual prostitution when times got tough, but the idea of her doing so regularly, to the point where she'd have regular clients, somehow doesn't ring true to me.

As for Bury, there was no need for him to seek a regular arrangement with a Spitalfields prostitute, as there were plenty of those closer to home in Bow. There were also plenty of pubs in and around Bow, so the chances of his being in the same pub as Catherine Eddowes at any given time seems pretty slim.
                              Last edited by Sam Flynn; 07-22-2017, 01:07 PM.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by johns View Post
                                Hi Herlock... and everyone else

I myself am a native of the Birmingham and Black Country area and have occasionally entertained the thought that Eddowes and Bury may have "known" each other. How close or lengthy that knowledge was we'll never know, but it still interests me.

John
                                Hi Johns

It's an intriguing possibility but at the moment we don't know and the overwhelming likelihood is that we never will.

Regards
                                Herlock
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X