The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John G View Post
    Neil Bell, in a very persuasive article on this site, argues that the GSG couldn't have been written by Eddowes' killer, because it was written leigibly, in a "good schoolboy hand", which wouldn't have been possible given the location of the graffiti: no light shone on the wall therefore, at that time of night, it would be cloaked in darkness.
    He could have struck a match or 3?

Comment

• Spotted on the UK game show Countdown, circa 2015

Click image for larger version

Name:	Goulston St Countdown.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	667144

Genuine, not "photoshopped".
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
        Spotted on the UK game show Countdown, circa 2015

[ATTACH]18285[/ATTACH]

Genuine, not "photoshopped".
        What a lovely pair of vowels
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Just a thought but if Long took the apron straight to Commercial Street Police Station all that would have been left was a random piece of (possibly anti-Semitic) graffiti that no civilian could have connected to the murders. Surely the reason for erasing it was because of its possible 'connection' to the apron and therefore the murders (i.e. Suggesting that the murderer was Jewish) . As has been reasonably stated on here anti-Jewish graffiti was probably fairly prevalent in the area but I'm sure the police didn't go around rubbing out chalked messages as a matter of duty.
          What's my point? Well I just think that this just adds to the mystery of erasing the graffiti. With the apron gone and the public unaware of its existence the graffiti couldn't be linked to the murders so why erase it (if we accept that anti-Semitic graffiti was fairly common-place)?
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• It would be funny to think that all these years of discord about the graffito and it was really written by some truant schoolboy.

Comment

• Originally posted by StevenOwl View Post
              He could have struck a match or 3?
              Yes, possibly, although I can't imagine Victorian matches burning for very long so it might have had to be a match or 30! And how much illumination would you have got from a Victorian match? And surely he would have just discarded the dead matches by throwing them on the ground, but none were found.

Comment

Yes, possibly, although I can't imagine Victorian matches burning for very long so it might have had to be a match or 30! And how much illumination would you have got from a Victorian match? And surely he would have just discarded the dead matches by throwing them on the ground, but none were found.
                It was possibly not needed. Depending on the phase of the moon, it could have been quite light. Also, the description of the writing is quite ambiguous, it might have been all over the place with individual letters/words in a good schoolboy hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by etenguy View Post
                  It was possibly not needed. Depending on the phase of the moon, it could have been quite light.
                  It wouldn't have been light. The moon was showing a 39% crescent, and there was 100% cloud cover. Even without cloud, the doorway would have been in deep shadow, as the moon was in the process of rising, and was "on the wrong side" of the entrance to Wentworth Model Dwellings, quite low in the sky above the eastern horizon. Here are some charts I generated a while back, showing the moon's position, phase and weather at the time of each of the C5 murders:

Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	667146

The only murder in which the moon's position, phase and cloud cover were reasonably favourable was that of Polly Nichols. Even there, the moon was less than half full, just as the sky was half full of clouds

Edit: I should add, of course, that the moon would have been irrelevant to the Chapman murder, as day was starting to break when she was killed.
                  Last edited by Sam Flynn; 08-29-2017, 02:45 PM.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

What if he had a bullseye lamp?
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                      What a lovely pair of vowels
                      That was my first impression as well, Herlock.

c.d.

Comment

Ah, well if he was a police officer that would put a very different complexion on things!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                          It wouldn't have been light. The moon was showing a 39% crescent, and there was 100% cloud cover. Even without cloud, the doorway would have been in deep shadow, as the moon was in the process of rising, and was "on the wrong side" of the entrance to Wentworth Model Dwellings, quite low in the sky above the eastern horizon. Here are some charts I generated a while back, showing the moon's position, phase and weather at the time of each of the C5 murders:

[ATTACH]18287[/ATTACH]

The only murder in which the moon's position, phase and cloud cover were reasonably favourable was that of Polly Nichols. Even there, the moon was less than half full, just as the sky was half full of clouds

Edit: I should add, of course, that the moon would have been irrelevant to the Chapman murder, as day was starting to break when she was killed.
                          Thanks for this Sam. Excellent work.

Comment

Incidentally, there's an excellent 19 second YouTube clip of a bullseye lamp in operation, uploaded by Monty (just search for bullseye lamp YouTube.) What the clip demonstrates is that this type of lamp gave out a very modest amount of light, which might explain why we have different versions of what was written.
                            Last edited by John G; 08-30-2017, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Hi John

Anyone can write short passages in passages in the dark, but it`s worth noting that if the author was the killer, he was comfortable working with low visibility, in fact, that seems to have been his bag.

Comment

Incidentally, there's an excellent 19 second YouTube clip of a bullseye lamp in operation, uploaded by Monty (just search for bullseye lamp YouTube.) What the clip demonstrates is that this type of lamp gave out a very modest amount of light, which might explain why we have different versions of what was written.
                                Thanks John, I'll have a look.
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X