Druitt's Coworkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Druitt's Coworkers

Has anyone ever done any research to see what became of Druitt's coworkers at Valentines?
    I'd be curious where they went off to and whether any of them might have been source material for rumors about him?

After all, they spent a lot of time with him in close quarters (I would assume).

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree but it would be interesting as to what might have happened to them.

What co workers it seems much of the time it was Druitt and Valentine, and perhaps one or two female staff to feed and clean.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
      What co workers it seems much of the time it was Druitt and Valentine, and perhaps one or two female staff to feed and clean.
      Hi Gut,
      His peers - there were other school teachers there. They appear in the Census.

Comment

^ Mark Man was the other assistant master. He came from Guernsey and Chris Scott's 2004 book on the Ripper, 'A Cast of Thousands' has some details on Mann's family through census records. It must have been quite a successful school. There was a non-teaching staff of ten.
        Last edited by Rosella; 12-14-2015, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
          ^ Mark Man was the other assistant master. He came from Guernsey. It must have been quite a successful school. There was a non-teaching staff of ten.
          That's him Mark Mann.

and yes Valentine seemed to have a nice little money maker.

I wonder what he's fees were? I know that at about 1880's they were paying around 40 quid a year for boarders, in Aus at what seem to be similar schools.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

That's him Mark Mann.

and yes Valentine seemed to have a nice little money maker.

I wonder what he's fees were? I know that at about 1880's they were paying around 40 quid a year for boarders, in Aus at what seem to be similar schools.
            Interesting. So these 10 people lived and worked in the company of a possible JTR candidate, whose public outing began in 1891, and yet no one ever had a published comment on him. They also don't appear anywhere in the inquest as witnesses to MJD's 'state of mind'. Seems the published inquest results hinged almost completely on William's testimony and nothing else was needed to support it.
            Last edited by SuspectZero; 12-15-2015, 04:43 AM.

Comment

I'm sure the school wanted to be well out of it. Even if Druitt wasn't JtR, his suicide would have certainly cast a shadow over the school's reputation.

Comment

Here's a little advert, probably found originally by Chris but here it is again :

TIMES, APRIL 10th 1889

It seems to exceed board guidelines, even though it's only five lines long! Anyway Valentine wanted an assistant master to teach maths and English, salary £150 plus board and rooms.
                Last edited by Robert; 12-15-2015, 09:53 AM.

Comment

There were 38 pupils altogether, most of them boarders. Some of these would be 'crammed' for university and the professions and so would have been in their mid to late teens. I've always felt that it was very weird that not one word leaked out locally about why Druitt left the school so suddenly, nor does there seem to have been any reaction to his tragic end. From 1886 Mr Valentine no longer slept on the premises so Monty was probably left in charge. Could he have been a bit of a sexual predator or perhaps acted oddly, scaring some of the younger boys?

Comment

Originally posted by Penhalion View Post
                    I'm sure the school wanted to be well out of it. Even if Druitt wasn't JtR, his suicide would have certainly cast a shadow over the school's reputation.
                    Yep suicide was on about the same level as incest or homosexuality.
                    G U T

Comment

There were 38 pupils altogether, most of them boarders. Some of these would be 'crammed' for university and the professions and so would have been in their mid to late teens. I've always felt that it was very weird that not one word leaked out locally about why Druitt left the school so suddenly, nor does there seem to have been any reaction to his tragic end. From 1886 Mr Valentine no longer slept on the premises so Monty was probably left in charge. Could he have been a bit of a sexual predator or perhaps acted oddly, scaring some of the younger boys?
                      Or even found to be AWOL when he should have been supervising.

But I tend towards the 30 Dec by William at the inquest and like the Cricket club he was sacked in his absence, and he was absent because he was dead.
                      G U T

Comment

I too wonder why no word leaked out, and why after 1891 and the rumors became more audible, no enterprising reporter ever followed up with any of these people. These witnesses (so to speak) were far from dead when these stories about Druitt surfaced.

Comment

Originally posted by SuspectZero View Post
                          I too wonder why no word leaked out, and why after 1891 and the rumors became more audible, no enterprising reporter ever followed up with any of these people. These witnesses (so to speak) were far from dead when these stories about Druitt surfaced.
                          Maybe reporters did and got "no comment".
                          G U T

Comment

Maybe reporters did and got "no comment".
                            Possible but then where is the rest of the story (sans coworker commentary)? Dagonet/Sims seems to be the only one making noise. Smells like a plant.

Comment

Originally posted by SuspectZero View Post
                              Possible but then where is the rest of the story (sans coworker commentary)? Dagonet/Sims seems to be the only one making noise. Smells like a plant.
                              Isn't that precisely what Jonathan H argues about those two. That they are MM's plants.
                              G U T

Comment

Working...
                              X