Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The mysterious Mr. Michaelmas

Can anybody help?

I'm trying to find out more about the mysterious Charles Michaelmas.

There is a reference to him in the Old Bailey Archives, having been sentenced to 9 months hard labour,on 28th June 1886, for wounding Jane Payne. The details of the case were not reported as "The particulars of this case are unfit for publication" (This usually means that there was a strong sexual element to the crime).

There is no Charles Michaelmas in any birth, marriage, death or census report.

If anybody could shed some light on this individual and what exactly he was guilty of I'd be very thankful

Originally posted by Harry Poland View Post
    Can anybody help?

I'm trying to find out more about the mysterious Charles Michaelmas.

There is a reference to him in the Old Bailey Archives, having been sentenced to 9 months hard labour,on 28th June 1886, for wounding Jane Payne. The details of the case were not reported as "The particulars of this case are unfit for publication" (This usually means that there was a strong sexual element to the crime).

There is no Charles Michaelmas in any birth, marriage, death or census report.

If anybody could shed some light on this individual and what exactly he was guilty of I'd be very thankful
    Hello Harry,

Maybe, I can help.

I have distant past relations with the last name of Christmas...believe it or not! From what I have been told, the gentleman used variations of his name because of the "Christmas" connections.

Have a look in the census under that name..you might get lucky.

It's more probable however that the name is spelled differently or noted as a different spelling.

Best of luck!

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

The Illustrated Police News of 26 June had a report on the crime:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IPN.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	664444

Comment

Guys, thanks!!!

Phil: I've found a Charles W Christmas living in Lambeth in 1881, he could be my man.

Chris: This is great. Where do you get the Police News reports from?

Cheers
        HP

Comment

Chris: This is great. Where do you get the Police News reports from?
          The Illustrated Police News is available in the 19th Century British Library Newspapers database - which can be accessed through many local libraries in the UK - and also through www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk.

I was intrigued by Inspector Ferret, and surprised to find that he was involved in a (vaguely) Ripper-related incident:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hamblar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	664445

That is from Graham Robb, Strangers: Homosexual Love in the 19th Century, p. 104 (2004). There is a partial preview at Google Books - http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=CzmgiIVWZ0AC - which unfortunately doesn't include the note giving the source.

Comment

Michaelmas is in the Middlesex 1886 criminal register. Nine calendar months for unlawful wounding.

Comment

Inspector Ferret (sic) being, MET Inspector Arthur Ferrett, who brought David Cohen to the Whitechapel Workhouse Infirmary in December 1888. Interestingly, Cohen died in the asylum the month of that report.

Comment

Hamblar had to endure some catty remarks from Saunders :

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                  Hamblar had to endure some catty remarks from Saunders :

http://www.casebook.org/press_report.../18891015.html
                  Yes, Robert

A true master of understatement there.
                  allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Working...
                  X