Jacob Levy asylum records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small

Out of the C5, only Stride and "MJK" would've been taller than JL. Tabram was not taller than he. Don't recall the heights of Coles and Mackenzie. Could be an interesting factor to consider. That the victims may have been selected due to their short stature, not to provide a distinct size advantage for the killer, but to keep a smaller killer from being at a disadvantage. Just a poorly worded thought.
    Valour pleases Crom.

Comment

Originally posted by GregBaron View Post
      Thanks tji, hopefully you'll soon return to full health...

There are some strange similarities between JI and JL....perhaps even Koz and Cohen..........maybe our brilliant authorities conflated some of the above........?

As for Errata's claim of JL being small, I said this once also but people chastised me. There are some strong wiry little b*stards...like jockeys...throw in manual labor and a little fellow can have arms like steel cables.....Chapman could have outweighed the ripper but probably couldn't out bench press him....

Clever Trevor's Feigenbaum was a little sucker too...

And remember that Joseph Levy said the fellow at Mitre Square was about 3 inches higher than the woman. Eddowes was 5'0"......

Intriguing but like grasping at air tji et al...

Greg
      Don't get me wrong... even a 3'6 man could take out a full size man if he was scrappy enough. But it would take some effort. Levy could take me down sure... my niece could as well if she ever learns about the concept of "center of gravity". But not without a fight.

When we talk about the attack scenarios, we are talking about blitz attacks. Immediate control of the victims. These women didn't fight, they didn't thrash around, they didn't scream. Now a wiry little bastard with a will can take down a woman who outweighs him. But not with the mastery that would be required to take them out silently and almost instantly. It's hard enough building a scenario with a 6'2 guy being able to do that. 5'2 weighing in at a buck 20? That's going to take some serious imagination.
      The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

A Profile

Hi Greg
        A VFI indeed. Although i have heard of Chase i must admit i don't know a great deal of his psychology. Didn't he believe he needed to drink blood to stave off attacks by aliens? I'm probably wrong. However i personally believe that there is a risk in comparing modern serial killers (and even there psychology) with the likes of JTR. Jack wouldn't have had the likes of the info overload from tv or the internet. My opinion only.
        If i may mention(i will anyway!), I am about to order a book, Bestial, by Harold Scechter. it deals solely with the life and crimes of Earl Stanley Nelson, arguably Americas first serial sex killer. You may have heard of the Gorilla Killer or the Dark Strangler, he killed up to 30 women between 1923 and 1930, mainly landladies. What caught my interest is that both his parents died within a year of his birth from Syphilis. Looking forward to reading it.
        On another note,while writing the article, i felt i needed to create/discover a profile for Jack. Now i think profiling is greatly over-estimated, brought about by the profile of (i can't remember his name) you know the one, the perp will be dressed in a suit and tie etc. could have been the una bomber? To me that sounds just to good to be true.
        You know ,the type of thing they do to promote a product.
        So, when you mention Jacobs night restlessness, there is a term used by profilers to describe this, its called Trolling, trolling for victims. However i do wonder if jacob didn't need to do this. Could he have been trolling for sites. The places where they repeatedly took there clients?
        Just a thought.
        Keep Well
        Jimi(Neil)

Comment

Originally posted by Jimi View Post
          So, when you mention Jacobs night restlessness, there is a term used by profilers to describe this, its called Trolling, trolling for victims. However i do wonder if jacob didn't need to do this. Could he have been trolling for sites. The places where they repeatedly took there clients?
          Just a thought.
          Keep Well
          Jimi(Neil)
          Traditionally night restlessness means tossing and turning. The inability to find a comfortable sleeping position and stick with it. In psychiatric terms this means either that there is too much energy in the body to find any comfort in stillness (like restless leg syndrome in the whole body) or that a person's mind simply won't relax. Both happen to everyone now and then, but as a symptom it means it's a common occurrence. Regular restlessness is simply the inability to sit still. The knee jiggling thing a lot of people have for instance. Or the inability to stay seated, or constant stretching.

Some people do cope with this with endless rounds of pacing, or simply getting up and doing something. It is typically not described as restlessness, but I don't know how the Victorians would describe it. However Levy was never observed in a way that would indicate trolling behaviors. First he was in prison, next in an asylum. His options for persistent wakefulness were pretty limited. In his second intake form his wife describes him being out for all hours. If he engaged in trolling behavior, that would be the kind of description to look for.

On the other hand, I get the impression that his wife was a rather... dominant figure. He may have not come home because wandering around the streets in the middle of the night (or he could have been in a bar or brothel) was preferable to an endless round of complaints on his restlessness.

Of course my parents marriage may be coloring my perception of that relationship dynamic

Comment

Trolling for victims...

Originally posted by Errata View Post
            Don't get me wrong... even a 3'6 man could take out a full size man if he was scrappy enough. But it would take some effort. Levy could take me down sure... my niece could as well if she ever learns about the concept of "center of gravity". But not without a fight.

When we talk about the attack scenarios, we are talking about blitz attacks. Immediate control of the victims. These women didn't fight, they didn't thrash around, they didn't scream. Now a wiry little bastard with a will can take down a woman who outweighs him. But not with the mastery that would be required to take them out silently and almost instantly. It's hard enough building a scenario with a 6'2 guy being able to do that. 5'2 weighing in at a buck 20? That's going to take some serious imagination.
            I can't disagree with you here Errata. How the women were subdued so quickly and effectively is one of the biggest mysteries of the case. I'm not willing to say a little feller couldn't do it though...

A VFI indeed. Although i have heard of Chase i must admit i don't know a great deal of his psychology. Didn't he believe he needed to drink blood to stave off attacks by aliens? I'm probably wrong. However i personally believe that there is a risk in comparing modern serial killers (and even there psychology) with the likes of JTR. Jack wouldn't have had the likes of the info overload from tv or the internet. My opinion only.
            I believe you're right about Chase here Jimi. A real nutter as the Brits would say. As for internet and tv, Chase operated pre-internet and many people of today forget how comprehensive and universal were newspapers. But I actually think this is contrary to the point, as pointed out by Garry Wroe more than once, human nature has not changed in quite some time - so the question remains, could Chase and Jtr be afflicted with the same mental/emotional illness?

On another note,while writing the article, i felt i needed to create/discover a profile for Jack. Now i think profiling is greatly over-estimated, brought about by the profile of (i can't remember his name) you know the one, the perp will be dressed in a suit and tie etc. could have been the una bomber? To me that sounds just to good to be true.
            Many people poo-poo profiling Jimi. I'm not one of them. It's simply a tool that may or may not be helpful in apprehending a criminal. It actually has assisted in identifying some modern psychos. Of course it's also been dead wrong but nothing's perfect. As for profiling back 125 years, this is indeed difficult and some think worthless. Again I disagree. Back to the human nature thing - but yes, we must be very cautious here and take everything with a heavy grain of salt...

Just a thought.
            Not a bad thought Jimi. He may have also been following prostitutes to learn their habits...

Greg

Comment

Dominant?

Hi Errata
              You Describe Sarah levy as appearing dominant. After jacobs imprisonment in 1886 Sarah keeps trading from their butchers business,it is only after his death that she and her family move to New street, so, personally myself, i see he as more strong than dominant. She has to be controlling due to jacobs mental state, to control his actions,surely.
              I don't think Jacobs size has a lot to do with the attacks. Firstly, jacob could be charming, he had helped to run a successful business. I believe Jack/Jacob would engage the victim in conversation first, and how many prostitutes would get used to seeing Jacob strolling round the streets late at night?
              "Don't worry about him,pet, he's always around, he's harmless"
              And butchers are STRONG. From a young age Jacob would have been throwing dead meat about, anything from 20lbs in weight to 100lbs+,daily,often. Gripping a knife fo hours on end develops forearm and hand strenght(you don't want to arm wrestle a butcher). So when the time came it would be no contest against an under-developed street walker.
              Keep well
              jimi

Comment

Profiling

Hi Greg
                I do agree with what you say about human nature,i've just stated myself poorly. Of course chase and JTR could have had the same mental state. What I am thinking is more the developmental stages. How long would it take JTR to be afflicted than say Chase? Or Chase than say Breivik? I just think its something we need to consider.
                Once again I agree. I certainly didn't mean to put profiling down, like you i think its a very wothwhile tool or guide and it can certainly help narrow down a suspect pool.
                Keep well
                Jimi(Neil)

Comment

Originally posted by Jimi View Post
                  Hi Errata
                  You Describe Sarah levy as appearing dominant. After jacobs imprisonment in 1886 Sarah keeps trading from their butchers business,it is only after his death that she and her family move to New street, so, personally myself, i see he as more strong than dominant. She has to be controlling due to jacobs mental state, to control his actions,surely.
                  I don't think Jacobs size has a lot to do with the attacks. Firstly, jacob could be charming, he had helped to run a successful business. I believe Jack/Jacob would engage the victim in conversation first, and how many prostitutes would get used to seeing Jacob strolling round the streets late at night?
                  "Don't worry about him,pet, he's always around, he's harmless"
                  And butchers are STRONG. From a young age Jacob would have been throwing dead meat about, anything from 20lbs in weight to 100lbs+,daily,often. Gripping a knife fo hours on end develops forearm and hand strenght(you don't want to arm wrestle a butcher). So when the time came it would be no contest against an under-developed street walker.
                  Keep well
                  jimi
                  She refers to him ruining her business. Not his business, which would be more in keeping with the attitudes of the day (and would have been a polite fiction), not "our" business, but hers. And it was her business. But out of keeping with the time, she didn't even nominally hand it over to her husband. She kept it hers. And there was probably a very good reason for that, but he was within his rights to seize it if he wanted to. And he didn't. Sadly it is not true that weak people discover strength when things get hard. A submissive personality does not step up when her husband goes batshit. They go down like the Titanic. Happens all the time.

Another thing that commonly happens is that broken people seek dominant people. Possibly the most popular relationship archetype in the teenage years. He may have married her because she was a dominant personality. He would have seen her as an anchor in his life. The person who keeps everything stable because he can't. It is by no means a bad thing if she was dominant in their relationship. They had kids, and they needed some stability. I imagine she was a rather brilliant single mom. If Levy was manic, and it reads like he was in the end, he would have HATED being told what to do. When you are manic the entire world is populated with people trying to "bring you down, man". Trying to stifle your genius. Any ties a person has are incredibly suffocating to someone who is manic. He was probably a nightmare to live with.

That he appears to be a Kleptomaniac also suggests he was a submissive personality. Kleptos steal to exert control. It gives them legitimate tension as opposed to the random tension they feel all the time that they can't explain. It's like anorexia. Dominant girls don't get anorexia. Submissive girls do. And it has nothing to with popularity, it's when a girl cannot stand up for herself or fix a situation, she controls whatever she can. Like caloric intake. Dominant girls fight. Often inappropriately, but they fight.

I imagine there is a way to test the theory. If she was a submissive personality, she would have remarried almost immediately (and Judaism provides ample opportunity for that). If she waited a few years, that would say she wasn't afraid of doing it alone, and probably had a dominant personality. Not that it really matters. It's a picture I have in my head.

And I don't doubt Jacob could kill people. I think anyone can. But you gotta admit that when you pictured these attacks happening in your head, the attacker was not a little guy. I think we all picture a 6 foot guy weighing about 200 pounds. A guy that size could grab a woman by the throat and put her on the ground in a heartbeat. A guy Jacob's size might have to jump up in order to reach her throat . I'm saying if the Ripper was 5'2, we all to repaint that picture in our head, and start making some assumptions based on a little guy, not based on some random athlete of your choice. It would mean he did not overpower them in a conventional way, which usually means coming down actually over them and pushing them to the ground. He couldn't do that unless he was perched on a fence or something, and leaped at them like a wrestler from the top rope. Everything we assume about what happened during the attacks changes if the assailant is the same size as the victim, or smaller. Which means we have to rewrite the fight scenes.

Comment

Nope - I see someone about 5 foot 3 inches, but fairly muscular - masculine, charming, but dominant - nothing there to rule out Levy (!) - who I see as a good suspect either for the first two, or more. even if pushed, the lot....

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                      Nope - I see someone about 5 foot 3 inches, but fairly muscular - masculine, charming, but dominant - nothing there to rule out Levy (!) - who I see as a good suspect either for the first two, or more. even if pushed, the lot....
                      It's not about ruling him in or out. It's about ruling certain scenarios in or out. A guy without a significant height advantage cannot bear a woman to the ground. I mean, he could do a leg sweep or actually choke her out, but he can't force her to the ground by pushing down on her. It's not a strength thing it's a leverage thing. So if Levy is the Ripper, that didn't happen. a 5'2 guy cannot lean over Mary Kelly's bed and cut her throat. It was too wide, and she was too far away for him to use a knife with any strength. So instead he has to be on the bed, not standing next to it. There's also some problems with the typical assumptions made about Chapman's mutilation, because she was blocked off on two sides. A tall man can kneel on one side of her and get it all done, but a shorter man has to move around some. So then we gotta figure out how he moved given the stairs, the wall, all that.

There are those of us who put a lot of thought into literally how he did what he did. Like I gotta be honest, the who has never interested me as much as the how and the why. What length blades he had to use, where he sat, what he did first. And a lot of that is based on the height of the average man, which at the time was 5'8. Half a foot shorter changes a lot. So I'm not saying his height rules him out as the Ripper. I'm saying that those of us who tried to build a recreation of the murders have to redo quite a bit in order to accommodate a 5'2 killer. That's all.

The only thing about Levy that could possibly rule him out (and I say possibly) was that his profession would mean that he would know what knife was appropriate for what task. Bringing an 8 inch blade to a three inch blade job is a very odd choice for a butcher. Possibly Freudian, but still odd. It would not expect that of a butcher or a surgeon. I would expect that of a soldier or a fisherman (since fish have very little anatomical similarity to humans, and soldiers don't deal in mutilation typically). I don't think the knife work in the murders point to a butcher. I've gone into it elsewhere, and I'm not going to go into it here. It doesn't prove he's not the Ripper. It's just odd. Otherwise, I am comfortable putting him in with the other 30,000 men who could have been the Ripper by virtue of location, habit, motive, or interest.

Comment

"From the fact that he attempted suicide by strangulation at Gaol & that a Brother committed suicide and Insanity is hereditary in his family I consider
                        him suicidal & insane."

This just kills me. He attempts suicide, which is not in and of itself any kind of indicator of sanity. However, because his brother committed suicide and members of his family have been insane, then he gets a diagnosis of insanity.

The only person who mentions violence is a Temporary Warder (and I'm not exactly sure how that is a temporary gig, but whatever). ...

In reading this thread, I caught your comment here, Errata. "Temporary Warder" refers not to the job being "temporary" or part-time (although it MIGHT be), but rather being posted in the Temporary Ward.

BTW, what was 'average' height and weight for males or females in London, c1888?
                        Last edited by C. F. Leon; 06-27-2013, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by C. F. Leon View Post
                          In reading this thread, I caught your comment here, Errata. "Temporary Warder" refers not to the job being "temporary" or part-time (although it MIGHT be), but rather being posted in the Temporary Ward.

BTW, what was 'average' height and weight for males or females in London, c1888?
                          Actually this is where Eastern Europeans blow the average so we have a range rather than an average. Males were 5'6 - 5'8 roughly 180 pounds. Females were 5'0-5'3 roughly 120 lbs. Last I checked.

Comment

No happy meals...

I think we all picture a 6 foot guy weighing about 200 pounds.
                            Not I Errata, you could count guys this big on one hand in Whitechapel at that time..

Actually this is where Eastern Europeans blow the average so we have a range rather than an average. Males were 5'6 - 5'8 roughly 180 pounds. Females were 5'0-5'3 roughly 120 lbs. Last I checked.
                            I think you’re confusing 21st century McDonalds’s denizens with the people of Whitechapel. A guy 5’7” and a buck-eighty is stout, well-nourished, borderline fat…..again not a Whitechapel build…

And a lot of that is based on the height of the average man, which at the time was 5'8. Half a foot shorter changes a lot. So I'm not saying his height rules him out as the Ripper. I'm saying that those of us who tried to build a recreation of the murders have to redo quite a bit in order to accommodate a 5'2 killer.
                            I think the average man was beneath 5’8”. I would guess 5’6” or 5’7” and a buck fifty was about average. I doubt we could find this sort of information statistically. I would expect the wealthier West Enders to be fatter and maybe even taller – not many Oscar Wilde’s trolling Whitechapel, at least in my humble opinion…

I imagine Tumblety at 5'11" ish was a standout and 6'7" Fleming a mistake...

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregBaron View Post

I think you’re confusing 21st century McDonalds’s denizens with the people of Whitechapel. A guy 5’7” and a buck-eighty is stout, well-nourished, borderline fat…..again not a Whitechapel build…

I think the average man was beneath 5’8”. I would guess 5’6” or 5’7” and a buck fifty was about average. I doubt we could find this sort of information statistically. I would expect the wealthier West Enders to be fatter and maybe even taller – not many Oscar Wilde’s trolling Whitechapel, at least in my humble opinion…

I imagine Tumblety at 5'11" ish was a standout and 6'7" Fleming a mistake...

Greg
                              Sorry sorry typo. 150.

I almost imagine Fleming getting a similar reaction to Godzilla on the streets of Tokyo.

As it happens, and I don't think it's a surprise to anyone, the British are not a tall people. They aren't short either. Ireland throws out some impressive giants every so often. Eastern Europeans tend to be about 2 inches taller than the British. Especially Russians. I don't really know why, possibly some adaptation to cold. Africans average about 4 inches more in height, which is interesting because they have both the tallest and the shortest populations in the world. But the immigration boom in England skewed the national average taller. Levy as an Eastern European Jew is just tiny. I'm not going to go into why he would be remarkably tiny, unless you are really interested in Ashkenazi Jewish phenotypes. It's interesting that his people are skewing the numbers towards a taller national average, and he's really small.

Actually, that just reminded me of something. I'm going to research it and get back to this. There may be a genetic thing at play here.

Comment

So if Levy is the Ripper, that didn't happen. a 5'2 guy cannot lean over Mary Kelly's bed and cut her throat. It was too wide, and she was too far away for him to use a knife with any strength.
                                Uhm, I am not sure this is accurate. Mary Kelly's bed was not that wide, about what I would imagine is about a twin size today looking at the photos though I don't have exact measurements in front of me, I admit. I am sitting next to a bed now, in a chair, putting me well under 5'2 and I can reach from one end to the other without problem. And I've got significant striking force to slash a throat, even if she were on the far end of the bed. Even if the bed were queen size, it is an assumption to state that "she was too far away from him to use the knife". She might have been right on the edge. Not saying I think Levy is the ripper, just saying, I don't think this particular argument against him has merit.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                                I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Working...
                                X