The Donald Sutherland Swanson collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Donald Sutherland Swanson collection

As preparation of my article on the history of the Swanson Marginalia nears completion, the Swanson family have asked me to announce that they will shortly be offering for sale the Donald Sutherland Swanson collection. The collection includes the annotated Lighter Side of My Official Life, DSS's police memorabilia and personal effects, including various original letters, certificates and books (several inscribed by Sir Robert Anderson), his Freemasonic jewels and regalia, and police rattle.

Further details will appear here in due course.

Please address any questions to me and I'll post appropriate responses from the Swanson family.

Best wishes
    Adam

Originally posted by AdamNeilWood View Post
    As preparation of my article on the history of the Swanson Marginalia nears completion, the Swanson family have asked me to announce that they will shortly be offering for sale the Donald Sutherland Swanson collection. The collection includes the annotated Lighter Side of My Official Life, DSS's police memorabilia and personal effects, including various original letters, certificates and books (several inscribed by Sir Robert Anderson), his Freemasonic jewels and regalia, and police rattle.

Please address any questions to me and I'll post appropriate responses from the Swanson family.

Best wishes
    Adam
    Perhaps whoever buys the marginalia will allow a new full forensic examination of it. Or a prospective purchaser might insist on that before agreeing to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
      Perhaps whoever buys the marginalia will allow a new full forensic examination of it. Or a prospective purchaser might insist on that before agreeing to buy.
      Why should they. Trevor? Nobody really questions the authenticity of the material and nobody, not even you, has suggested any tests which could add to or materially advance what we already know.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
        Why should they. Trevor? Nobody really questions the authenticity of the material and nobody, not even you, has suggested any tests which could add to or materially advance what we already know.
        Nobody questions it are you sure about that ?

I have suggested several tests but I am not going to get embroiled in arguments on here which have been gone through many times on these issues.

Comment

Let's not let Trevor hijack this thread. It's a private sale after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
            Nobody questions it are you sure about that ?

I have suggested several tests but I am not going to get embroiled in arguments on here which have been gone through many times on these issues.
            Actually, Trevor, as far as I am aware, nobody who knows and understands anything about the origins and history of the marginalia or the people involved questions its authenticity. And there seems no reason to question the credentials, ability, or objectivity of the experts like Dr Davies of Richard Totty. You do, of course, but not for any good reason that I have been able to discern. And I don't recall that you have suggested any tests, be it on the boards or to Nevill Swanson, that would advance our knowledge. You claim to have done, but I've asked before and you acknowledged that you hadn't, although you suggested that the age of the graphite could be established, but that wasn't helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamNeilWood View Post

Best wishes
              Adam
              Hello Adam,

Thank you for the announcement.
              Whilst awaiting for further details, you requested that we ask questions via your good self.

1) are there any 'Ripper related' items amonst the papers, letters, books etc apart from the annotated TLSOMOL?
              2) Will the collection be split into various 'lots' or sold as a whole?
              3) Is/Are there (a) set price(s) or will there be an auction type sale?
              4) A somewhat obvious question perhaps, my apologies if so, but can the items be viewed for perusal pre sale? (via private email, on request, for example?)

Thank you for your kind attention.

Best wishes

Phil
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
              Accountability? ....

Comment

forensics

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
                I have to say I. am with Trevor here. Nothing should ever be taken at face value. That is if there is anything which can be tested.

Best wishes
                C4

Comment

Originally posted by curious4 View Post
                  I have to say I. am with Trevor here. Nothing should ever be taken at face value. That is if there is anything which can be tested.

Best wishes
                  C4
                  Nobody has taken it at face value, C4. The "tests" have been done.

Comment

Hi Adam,

Although I shall not be bidding, this remains fascinating news.

Do you happen to know if the annotated edition of TLSOMOL comes with a copy of the elusive Davies Report—what might be termed its "certificate of authenticity"?

I'm very much looking forward to your Swanson article.

Regards,

Simon
                    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Hello Simon,

A list of items included in the Collection will be posted in due course once the Swanson family have provided it.

Phil, I've sent you questions to the family and will revert asap.

Best wishes
                      Adam

Comment

Hi Adam
                        To me an obvious question - but one the family may well not wish to answer (and would of course be perfectly within their rights to do so) - is why they have chosen to sell at this time?

Comment

Why sell?

Hi Chris,

That's something I asked while preparing my article:

Nevill has said that in the past couple of years he decided that the Donald Sutherland Swanson collection would be in better hands with an interested historian instead of “resting in a case in a museum which nobody could visit.”

Best wishes
                          Adam

Comment

Hi Phil,

Some answers from Nevill Swanson:

1) are there any 'Ripper related' items amonst the papers, letters, books etc apart from the annotated TLSOMOL?

Not to my knowledge.

2) Will the collection be split into various 'lots' or sold as a whole?

Will take advice and decide on basis of any offers that may come in.

3) Is/Are there (a) set price(s) or will there be an auction type sale?

Not decided.

4) A somewhat obvious question perhaps, my apologies if so, but can the items be viewed for perusal pre sale? (via private email, on request, for example?)

Yes in principle.

Best wishes
                            Adam

Comment

Hello Paul,

Presumably advances have been made since the last time? Or was this fairly recent?

Best wishes,
                              C4

Comment

Working...
                              X