Sources for the Millwood case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sources for the Millwood case

Noone seems to have seen the remaining sources concerning the Millwood case, except Sugden (and Quentin Pittman ?).

But in case, for the future, someone can post them here.....

1) Whitechapel Workhouse Infirmary, Admission & Discharge Book, 1888-9, GLRO, StBG/Wh/123/20

2) Death's certificate, St Catherine's House

Whitechapel Union Admission and Discharge Book 1 January 1879 to 24 May 1881. LMA/STBG/WH/123/014 Admitteded as Annie Milward

and

Whitechapel Union Admission and Discharge Book. 25 May 1881 to 13 July 1883 listed as Annie Millward.

Both entries are for the same visit 22 April to 9 June 1881.

Milward was most likely the correct spelling.

Rob

Comment

Thanks Rob, I agree it's tempting to identify Annie Milward, aged 30 in 1881, with Annie Millwood, aged 38 in 1888, although Annie Milward was born in 1844.

But my concern is about the 1888 discharge book. If you had the chance to look at it, do you know who discharged her as cured ?
      Last edited by DVV; 02-16-2012, 10:56 AM.

Comment

The 1881 and 1888 entries match up very well so I don't have a problem.
        The 1844 birth date is problematic but I don't think a major one. Further confirmation would be helpful though.

The Discharge book doesn't say who discharged her just that she was sent to the Workhouse. She was admitted by 'McDonald' whoever that was, perhaps it was him?

Rob

Comment

The 1881 and 1888 entries match up very well so I don't have a problem.
          Is it Milward in the 1888 entry ? (then Millwood would be a mistake from press ?)

The Discharge book doesn't say who discharged her just that she was sent to the Workhouse. She was admitted by 'McDonald' whoever that was, perhaps it was him?
          Many thanks, Rob

Comment

Millwood is in the 1888 book. So that is where the press got it from. The 1881 entry lists Milward as having 'no home' which would explain why she was not been found in the 81 census.

Rob

Comment

Most obliged, Rob. That she had no home cetainly explains why she doesn't appear in the 1881 census. Whatever the reason, by the way, it doesn't make the identification (Millwood = Milward) less likely. The only minor problem, as you said, is the discrepancy between the birth certificate and the age she gave twice (1881: 30; 1888: 38).
              While we're at it, there is something I don't understand in your book. You write : "The marriage does not appear to have had any longevity as Richard had died by 1888."

But he was already dead in 1881, wasn't he ?

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                While we're at it, there is something I don't understand in your book. You write : "The marriage does not appear to have had any longevity as Richard had died by 1888."

But he was already dead in 1881, wasn't he ?
                Well technically we were right, he was dead by 1888 But yeah we should have put 'by 1881' just one of those things that slipped through the net.

Rob

Comment

Oh yes, I know it happens, aaarff. Pas grave, sir.

Comment

Monday the 25th will be the 125th anniversary of the attack on Annie.
                    Last edited by sdreid; 02-21-2013, 09:35 PM.
                    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                    X