• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
    Hello Zagreus. Thanks.

Is that the police officer Pearse?

Cheers.
    LC
    No, Frank Pearse is the name the author is using. No connection to the police officer.

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
      Hi Lynn and Zagreus

So "Frank Pearse" would be a pseudonym ?

And then, we have a family tradition that doesn't name this family ?

How can such things be ? (Ambrose Pearse)
      John Sawyer is not a fake name, and he is the suspect - you can check he existed with the details provided in the book, which are from the record office at Kew, also available to the public.

I'll post the details here if you want?

It isn't a family tradition as such, it is a letter combined with an account passed down, which is a bit more solid than the phrase 'tradition' suggests.

He used a pseudonym so it wasn't his name on the front of the book; like I said, he's retired and doesn't want the publicity personally.

Same as the Amazon page says 'edited by Steve', which is me. I'm a teacher, and I don't want my name coming up alongside Jack the Ripper in a google search, so we didn't say my surname.

You can trace the author's real name from Sawyer's family tree if you were so inclined, it's not that much of a hidden secret.

Comment

thanks

Hello Zagreus. I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Many thanks, Zagreus. Of course, you're welcome to post any detail here. I like candidacies based on old letters and confessions, like that of the father of GWB.

Comment

confiteor

Hello David, Zagreus. I heard a story, over two years ago as I recall, that someone had confessed his role in the WCM many years ago to his son. He had planned to go to the police but apparently never did.

One detail was that he wore some sort of clothing over his other clothes and that allowed him to discard clothing quickly and easily and not get caught.

Could this be the same chap?

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Technologically challenged...

Hi all,

And welcome Zagreus. Any details would be appreciated.

Since I support the unknown man from Whitechapel hypothesis, I'd give this a go. Problem is I'm a Luddite and don't own a Kindle or anything remotely related.

I have friends who insist I must accept the inevitable as resistance is futile. Perhaps I should start a technology thread but can anyone in a few words tell me about Kindles or other devices and which are best and cheapest etc.

Thanks.

For a minute I thought it was being suggested that Tom Sawyer was the ripper, adding to our fictional literary suspects...

Greg

Comment

option

Hello Greg. You might check to see if there is an option to have it printed. Sometimes there is such, given demand.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Gold star...

Hello Greg. You might check to see if there is an option to have it printed. Sometimes there is such, given demand.

Cheers.
                  LC
                  Thanks Lynn,

I'll see what I can figure out. By the way, I see that you're approaching 5000 posts. You should get a golden ripper coffee cup or something for reaching such a milestone...

Greg

Comment

Verily I say unto you, they have their reward.

Hello Greg. Thanks for that. My reward will come when:

1. Princeton University sends my 146 pp of Leland's correspondence (and it turns out that the lady who died a strange and violent death for bearing rumours about WH Hurlbert turns out to be Kate).

2. The Arbeter Fraint "scoop" on the WCM gets translated (and it reveals a bombshell).

Much chance?

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Originally posted by GregBaron View Post
                      Hi all,

And welcome Zagreus. Any details would be appreciated.

Since I support the unknown man from Whitechapel hypothesis, I'd give this a go. Problem is I'm a Luddite and don't own a Kindle or anything remotely related.

I have friends who insist I must accept the inevitable as resistance is futile. Perhaps I should start a technology thread but can anyone in a few words tell me about Kindles or other devices and which are best and cheapest etc.

Thanks.

For a minute I thought it was being suggested that Tom Sawyer was the ripper, adding to our fictional literary suspects...

Greg
                      Hi Greg
                      Apart from not being a real person, it could not have been Tom Sawyer, as he was much too young. ; )
                      "Is all that we see or seem
                      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                        Hi Greg
                        Apart from not being a real person, it could not have been Tom Sawyer, as he was much too young. ; )
                        Twain modeled Sawyer after himself. You know what that means....

Mike
                        huh?

Comment

Hello David, Zagreus. I heard a story, over two years ago as I recall, that someone had confessed his role in the WCM many years ago to his son. He had planned to go to the police but apparently never did.

One detail was that he wore some sort of clothing over his other clothes and that allowed him to discard clothing quickly and easily and not get caught.

Could this be the same chap?

Cheers.
                          LC
                          You mean : is Sawyer the father of GWB ? I don't think so, there is no freemason in the story of GWB, as I recall it.

Comment

No Innocents Abroad...

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                            Hi Greg
                            Hi Abby,

"Tom" was published in 1876. Say Tom was 16. So in the Autumn of Terror that would make him 28. Perfect. Thus I'd add him to my favorite fictional suspects, Sherlock Holmes and Edgar Poe's Orangutan....

Twain modeled Sawyer after himself. You know what that means....
                            Good one Good Michael...........Twain would have been 52 at the time of the fiend....not out of the question........and he often had a bushy mustache...Now if you can place him in Whitechapel !

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregBaron View Post
                              Hi Abby,

"Tom" was published in 1876. Say Tom was 16. So in the Autumn of Terror that would make him 28. Perfect. Thus I'd add him to my favorite fictional suspects, Sherlock Holmes and Edgar Poe's Orangutan....

Good one Good Michael...........Twain would have been 52 at the time of the fiend....not out of the question........and he often had a bushy mustache...Now if you can place him in Whitechapel !

Greg
                              Hi Greg

Well, i could at least see the Orangutan being described as having a "carrotty mustache".

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Zagreus View Post
                                John Sawyer is not a fake name, and he is the suspect - you can check he existed with the details provided in the book, which are from the record office at Kew, also available to the public.

I'll post the details here if you want?

It isn't a family tradition as such, it is a letter combined with an account passed down, which is a bit more solid than the phrase 'tradition' suggests.

He used a pseudonym so it wasn't his name on the front of the book; like I said, he's retired and doesn't want the publicity personally.

Same as the Amazon page says 'edited by Steve', which is me. I'm a teacher, and I don't want my name coming up alongside Jack the Ripper in a google search, so we didn't say my surname.

You can trace the author's real name from Sawyer's family tree if you were so inclined, it's not that much of a hidden secret.
                                Hi Zagreus
                                Welcome to the boards and thanks for posting this. Please excuse my (and others) joking as you will find we joke alot on here. Dont take it (at least on my part) for laughing off the John sawyer suspect/theory, as, quite honestly, I think that if this is ever solved, it will be exactly this type of information that comes forth that will finally put a name to jack the ripper.

Please do post here any more info you have on the suspect. Is it possible you could provide the letter, or at least the text of the letter of his death bed confession? I would be very interested in reading it, as I am sure evryone here would.

Thanks in advance!

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                                X