No announcement yet.

Butchers' Row, Aldgate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debs just reminded me of this drawing of Butchers Row. It appeared in 'Chatterbox' 23 September 1893.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ButchersRow1892 Chatterbox 23 September 1893.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	659007

And a short description.

Name:	ButchersRow1892 Chatterbox 23 September 1893 text.jpg
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	659008

Rob

Comment

Thanks for the drawing Rob.
      However,there have been several pieces I have read lately stating that Whitechapel,particularly around its main thoroughfares,was, in fact ,quite prosperous,the main streets well lit and wide.One account is by Emile Zola,who stated very clearly that Covent Garden was far more slummy and run down,as was Holborn -see Ripperologist 106[I think] Zola does point out that there were,ofcourse, the slum alleys and side streets that revealed poverty but stated they tended to be tucked away. George Sims also wrote of the Whitechapel High Street area being a colourful and vibrant area where well dressed Jewesses paraded with their parents on Saturdays etc
      Jerry White too writes about a lot of new Rothchild buildings going up in Whitechapel after slum clearances of the mid 1880"s.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
        Debs just reminded me of this drawing of Butchers Row. It appeared in 'Chatterbox' 23 September 1893.
        Thanks again. That's a nice illustration, as it includes number 43 - which I think from what's been posted so far must have been demolished before any of the photos was taken (presumably Mansell Street was widened?) - and extends over most of what remained of Butchers' Row at the time of the murders.
        Last edited by Chris; 03-09-2010, 02:11 AM.

Comment

This is the Aldgate High Street/Mansell Street corner from the 1870s. This is from the Collage website. The original was at the Guildhall and should be at the London Metropolitan Archives now. I'll have to try and track it down when I'm up there next.

Name:	Aldgate 1870s.jpg
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	659009

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
            Thanks for the drawing Rob.
            However,there have been several pieces I have read lately stating that Whitechapel,particularly around its main thoroughfares,was, in fact ,quite prosperous,the main streets well lit and wide.One account is by Emile Zola,who stated very clearly that Covent Garden was far more slummy and run down,as was Holborn -see Ripperologist 106[I think] Zola does point out that there were,ofcourse, the slum alleys and side streets that revealed poverty but stated they tended to be tucked away. George Sims also wrote of the Whitechapel High Street area being a colourful and vibrant area where well dressed Jewesses paraded with their parents on Saturdays etc
            Jerry White too writes about a lot of new Rothchild buildings going up in Whitechapel after slum clearances of the mid 1880"s.
            I've no doubt Norma that there were areas that were a lot worse then Whitechapel and Aldgate and other parts of East London for that matter. The Booth maps show that clearly.

Rob

Comment

Another great pic of Aldgate.I love the pictures of this area because of those few buildings left from that time that are clearly recognisable when you see them.
              Thanks Rob,
              Norma

Comment

All things considered, isn't Jacob Levy the prime candidate to be the man Sagar said was watched, and who was later commited? And Scott entertained that possibility in his essay.

Levy's shop at 36 Middlesex, one of many butchers on that street, was right around the corner from Butcher's Row "proper" on Aldgate, if I understand the geography right. When Sagar said Butcher's Row, he could be speaking in general terms. The vicinity.

Roy
                Sink the Bismark

Comment

Butchers Row Aldgate

Hi All
                  Myself and TJI have been researching Jacob Levy as a suspect for a while now. during that time one of the dissertations that we have read was Mark Kings. in this he states the ONLY person to visit jacob in Stone asylum was one Isaac Barnett.
                  Isaac was a milk dealer with a shop/property in Middlesex Street, i have to confess that i don`t know how close this is to Butchers Row, but the pertinent fact for me is that Isaac was married to Elizabeth Levy, Jacobs sister. Could the man we are looking for have been staying with his Brother-in -law? At this time (1888) i can`t see Sarah Levy (jacobs wife) letting him stay at home with Syphillis and all his mental problems.
                  Keep Well
                  Jimi

Comment

Re de Leeuw, he was the subject of a receiving order in November 1890.

These two items are from the Times, 29th Feb and 2nd March 1892.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                      Re de Leeuw, he was the subject of a receiving order in November 1890.

These two items are from the Times, 29th Feb and 2nd March 1892.
                      Many thanks for posting these articles.

I should explain that the reason I'm interested in Solomon de Leeuw is that he died in the City of London Asylum at Stone in 1895. It doesn't seem likely that he was Sagar's suspect, because he had been admitted to the asylum less than a month before and it was said to be his first attack. But obviously any information bearing on his earlier state of mind may be relevant.

Comment

Another view of the late Christopher Hill's premises (now the Hoop and Grapes), from 1910 according to the web page I found it on (http://www.citypubs.co.uk/pubs/hoopandgrapes_pic.html) - so of almost the same date as the earlier of the photos posted by Rob above, though in this one the adjacent butchers' shops are open and displaying their wares:

Name:	hoopandgrapes-aldgate-oldpi1910.jpg
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	659079

Comment

Great picture Chris.Thanks for posting it.
                          Norma

Comment

Various photographs of Butchers Row from the 1870s to the 1920s:

Two from c1875

Name:	cbAldgate High Street c1875 01.jpg
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	659086

Name:	cbAldgate High Street c1875 02.jpg
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	659087

Two from 1899

Name:	cbAldgate High Street 1899 01.jpg
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	659088

Name:	cbAldgate High Street 1899 02.jpg
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	659089

Two from c1910

Name:	cbAldgate Hight Street c1910 01.jpg
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	659090

This is the one Chris posted earlier

Name:	cbAldgate Hight Street c1910 02.jpg
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	659091

and two from c1920

Name:	cbAldgate High Street c1920 01.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	659092

Name:	cbAldgate High Street c1920 02.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	659093

Rob

Comment

Thanks for these Rob, I think.

Looks like the road apples haven't changed in shape and size for a hundred years. People still bumbling about, oblivious to what lies in their path.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                                Various photographs of Butchers Row from the 1870s to the 1920s:
                                Many thanks for posting these - an excellent sequence showing the buildings in successive decades.

Comment

Working...
                                X