Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Provenance of picture - can anyone help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Provenance of picture - can anyone help please?

Do you know where this picture of SK comes from please?

Helena
    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Hello Helena,

I believe that the picture comes from a sketch made while he was standing trial.

Best wishes.

Comment

Hi Helena.

The image comes from Norman Hastings' series of articles on Chapman/Klosowski that appeared in Thomson's Weekly News in June, 1930. Sorry I don't have the exact date but it comes from the last of the articles.

Wolf.

Comment

Hi Helena

Here's a photo of the waxwork of Klosowski that was on display in the Mme Tussaud Wax Museum near Baker Street station for over 50 years ie well into the 'swinging sixties'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	waxwork 4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	662503
        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
          Hi Helena

Here's a photo of the waxwork of Klosowski that was on display in the Mme Tussaud Wax Museum near Baker Street station for over 50 years ie well into the 'swinging sixties'.
          Thanks EVERYONE for the help. I don't suppose you Stephen have a better res copy of that photo do you?

I've now decided to write a little local history booklet about SK and so if anyone has anything they can lend me for inclusion, to enrich my story I'd be so grateful!

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
            Hi Helena

You might be advised to contact the The Evans - Skinner Crime Archive. You will see that they have on their site an illustration that appears to show Klosowski in the dock.

All the best

Chris
            Christopher T. George
            Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
            just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
            For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
            RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
              I don't suppose you Stephen have a better res copy of that photo do you?
              Hi Helena

That's the best I can do, I'm afraid, but it looks OK to me. A rather handsome devil wasn't he? It might be the case that the clothes on the waxwork model originally belonged to him. By the way, I was intrigued by Mark Ripper's mention on another thread of you having a Wikipedia entry and googled your name and found your beautifully written account of life in Faraday House in the 1970s. I was there doing the same job all the time you were there so our paths must have crossed many times all those years ago .

Good luck with your Chapman booklet.
              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                Hi Helena

That's the best I can do, I'm afraid, but it looks OK to me. A rather handsome devil wasn't he? It might be the case that the clothes on the waxwork model originally belonged to him. By the way, I was intrigued by Mark Ripper's mention on another thread of you having a Wikipedia entry and googled your name and found your beautifully written account of life in Faraday House in the 1970s. I was there doing the same job all the time you were there so our paths must have crossed many times all those years ago .

Good luck with your Chapman booklet.
                I assume the waxwork must look like him. I've been pondering how he managed to persuade four three women to live with him out of wedlock, when such a thing was so frowned upon in those days. Also got them to lie even to their own parents pretending that they were legally married. As a woman, I'm wondering what kind of a man would he have to be to have such an effect on me. He wasn't rich, he wasn't an aristocrat, so what did he have that made them do such a socially unacceptable thing?

Your final comment leaves me utterly astounded! The chance of meeting someone on here who worked in the same building thirty-five years ago! Oh, and thanks for the compliment, I am glad you think it well written. I've written five books since then LOL.

And now I am going to write a short local history book about SK. Hence hoped for a higher res pic.

Helena

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post
                  Hi Helena.

The image comes from Norman Hastings' series of articles on Chapman/Klosowski that appeared in Thomson's Weekly News in June, 1930. Sorry I don't have the exact date but it comes from the last of the articles.

Wolf.
                  Thank you Wolf. So, the sketch wasn't taken from life but from memory? Or from a photo?

Comment

Working...
                  X