Nagorna(k)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nagorna(k)

Sam Flynn was correct. Nagorna is on a 1944 1:30,000 topographic map prepared by the allied command in WWII, but not there on a 1966 1:30,000 topographic prepared by the united states army. Nagorn is the root for "hilltop" and and the a (ak) is the diminutive form implying a small community. The 1944 map shows Nagorna as 22 buildings on the first ridge north east of the city of Kolo. N 52 degrees 12 minutes and 30 seconds, E 18 degrees, 39 minutes. Respectfully Dave
    Last edited by protohistorian; 08-22-2009, 06:05 PM.
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

watch the amzing disappearring Polish hole in the wall! Bask in the glory of it's demise.
    Attached Files

Comment

Nagorna(k) is probably Nagórna - village near Kolo (Koło) that became part of this city in 20th century. There is just Nagórna Street now...
      f.e http://mapa.targeo.pl/Koło,Nagórna+10

Comment

well done sir Respectfully Dave

Comment

Originally posted by adamkle View Post
          Nagorna(k) is probably Nagórna - village near Kolo (Koło)
          Indeed, Adam. I made that identification back in 2006/07, after trawling through (almost literally) hectares of maps of pre-WWII Poland. For years we seem to have been misled by the "Nagornak" spelling, despite the fact that "Nagorna" (without the "k") is also mentioned in the trial transcripts, and reproduced in HL Adam's book. Perhaps it's because "Nagornak" has a biting, harsh sound to it more fitting to the birth-place of a devil like Kłosowski. In contrast, "Nagórna" ("na-gourrr-na") sounds like a place where a pigeon-fancier might have been born

Thanks for linking to the map of the modern-day town.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

And that's how one of the main streets of Kolo looked like in 1910:

Not so bad I think.
            Now this Sienkiewicz street leads to Nagorna street, so perhaps 100 years ago it also leaded to Nagorna village...

Comment

That photo hints at a decline between 1910 and 1937. Perhaps a new research area for those interested. Respectfully Dave

Comment

Does anyone know what proof, if any, has ever been uncovered to show that he actually was born in Nagorna?

Bulldog

Comment

eoffrting that right now. Respectfully Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
                    Does anyone know what proof, if any, has ever been uncovered to show that he actually was born in Nagorna?
                    Given that Nagórna was such a tiny, out-of-the-way village, I see no reason to believe otherwise. In fact, I doubt that too many people living in Radom/Zvoleń/Warsaw (some 150 miles to the East) had even heard of Nagórna.

Here's another pre-WWII map image, at a lower level of detail than those kindly posted by Dave above:

Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
                      Nagorn is the root for "hilltop" and and the a (ak) is the diminutive form implying a small community.... north east of the city
                      Here's me chiming in 2 years late.... my 2p worth is this:" Gora" means hill, mountain or top and "Na" means on. The -ak ending is a misprint, it was called Nagorna. And Kolo isn't a city, but a small town.

I'm very grateful to those who uploaded these maps - thanks so much!
                      Last edited by HelenaWojtczak; 06-22-2011, 10:11 PM.
                      Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                        Indeed, Adam. I made that identification back in 2006/07, after trawling through (almost literally) hectares of maps of pre-WWII Poland. For years we seem to have been misled by the "Nagornak" spelling, .
                        Chiming in years later... a Nargornak would be someone from Nagórna. So maybe that is what is written on that birth certificate, something like, "the wife of the Nagornak Antonio gave birth to a child". The translator translated that as "a native of Nagórna" .... remember?

There is a page on Wiki about Nagorna.

Unfortunately it claims Klosowski was hanged in the USA.

Helena
                        Last edited by HelenaWojtczak; 07-26-2011, 09:32 AM.
                        Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Working...
                        X