Death of D'Onston's Wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of D'Onston's Wife

Further to the discovery that D'Onston's wife was still alive at the time of the 1911 census, I have now found the record of her death.

She died 21.1.29, aged 86, at 7 Knidlinston Road, Howden. Informant was Gertrude Bateman, Neice.

Occupation appears to read 'Widow of DonStephenson Newspaper Contributor'.

Excellent work, David Knott! Any further details to share? How did you find this?

Perhaps the 'Gertrude Bateman' connection could provide a new line of enquiry for our good friends, Howard Brown and Mike Covell, if they're still on the hunt for D'Onston.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Tom,

Found it by trawling the death register.

She was living with her sister (Sarah Bateman) and brother in law in Yorkshire in 1911, so that narrowed down the search area a bit, which helped.

David

Comment

Hi David
        A great find and many thanks for posting
        The details below of Sarah and Gertrude Bateman may be of interest
        Regards
        Chris

Sarah Bateman:

Marriage:
        Sculcoates, Yorkshire
        Sarah Deary married Isaac Bateman

1881 census:
        Clark's Cottages, Goole, Yorkshire
        Head: Isaac Bateman aged 35 born Thorne, Yorks - Ship smith (?)
        Wife: Sarah Bateman aged 36 born Thorne
        Children:
        Annie aged 7 born Leeds
        James aged 5 born Leeds
        Lewis aged 3 born Old Goole
        Jane aged 10 months born Old Goole

1891 census:
        26 Millon Street, Hook, Yorks
        Head: Isaac Bateman aged 45 born Thorne - Blacksmith
        Wife: Sarah Bateman aged 46 born Thorne
        Children:
        James W aged 15 born Hunslet - Blacksmith
        Lewis C aged 13 born Goole - Grocer's errand boy
        Gertrude aged 8 born Goole

1901 census:
        32 Fifth Avenue, Goole, Yorks
        Head: Isaac Bateman aged 55 born Thorne - Ship and general blacksmith
        Wife: Sarah Bateman aged 56 born Thorne
        Children:
        Gertrude aged 18 born Goole

Comment

Dear Dave:

As mentioned elsewhere, great work and for giving closure to Anne Deary and her fate.

Dear Chris:

Thanks for providing everyone with the Batemen information. I was hoping that within the census report you kindly provided that someone had some significant income...income that may have provided a lead to run down the most nagging problem in Stephenson studies: His financial life.

The hunt continues...

Thanks to both of you gents once more.

Comment

Dave, Excellent find,

Chris, Nice work,

I guess a trip to Goole is on the cards, not sure when, and I will need to find the time and money to get there, but I have looked online and I am assured by a good friend that they have a collection of trade directories, newspaper etc at Goole!

Funnily enough, one of the Information officers has the surname....Knott!!
            Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown
              I was hoping that within the census report you kindly provided that someone had some significant income...income that may have provided a lead to run down the most nagging problem in Stephenson studies: His financial life.
              I've always suspected he lived a very frugal life, subsisting on the commissions of his articles and the kindness of the women he'd swindle. In the case of his cosmetics business, wasn't it Collins and Cremer ponying up the dough while D'Onston supplied his 'recipes' for cosmetics? I'd like to know why he had these recipes!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. is Goole near Hull? Is that pronounced like 'ghoul'?

Comment

Hi Tom,

I think the most likely way that Donston had these recipes for cosmetics could be down to the family seed crushing business.

Cosmetics were at one time made from whale oil and Hull was at one time an important whaling port. With the decline in whaling came the need to find a replacement source of oils and the vegetable oil produced by the seed crushing industry came about through the decline of whaling.

Goole is about 20 miles west of Hull and an inland port. It is pronounced as in "pool"

Rgds
                John

Comment

Tom, here is a map showing Hull in relation too Goole,

It's about 20 miles as John pointed out.

John, I think you might be onto something with the fact that his father had his hand in both seed crushing and the subsidiary trades attached to the whaling industry. I would say it is quite possible that RDS knew what his father's trades entailed, and I believe, although I am still trying to find further proof, that RDS spent a year with his father at The Union Mill.

Howard, I am looking at the Deary family, and it doesn't appear as though they were that wealthy, instead, I think the money trail leads back through Isabella Stephenson to the Dawber side of the family.
                  Regards Mike

Comment

I will be visiting an archival centre tomorrow which houses a large collection of East Yorkshire burial records and grave transcriptions. If I find anything on Annie Deary/Stephenson, I will let you all know.
                    Regards Mike

Comment

So Donston's make up recipe wasn't a green oil that you rubbed over your eyes?

Comment

Originally posted by albie View Post
                        So Donston's make up recipe wasn't a green oil that you rubbed over your eyes?
                        His Green Make Up only worked on the Evil Eye!
                        Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X