Moon phases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moon phases

I'm guessing someone will probably be able to answer this question. Does anyone know what the moon phases were at the time of each of the Whitechapel murders? They say crime and general madness increases at the time of full moon. I'm looking at Tabram through Kelly and the times between murders are approximately three weeks, one week, three weeks, and five weeks, so obviously they can not all have been at or near full moon. I just thought I'd pose the question and see who might know what.

Those charts are great. Does anyone have the Moon rises and sets to add? There is also the phenomenon of the Zodiacal Dawn in the case of Chapman's murder that should be noted, I think. It can make the sunrise look imminent as much as three hours earlier than a normal dawn.
    Last edited by sdreid; 11-14-2009, 07:38 PM.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by kensei View Post
      I'm guessing someone will probably be able to answer this question. Does anyone know what the moon phases were at the time of each of the Whitechapel murders?
      Originally posted by sdreid View Post
      Does anyone have the Moon rises and sets to add?
      I gave the percentage phase of the moon, and plotted the moon's location (relative to the East London horizon) at the moment of each victim's death here:

Forum for discussion about how Jack could have done it, why Jack might have done it and the psychological factors that are involved in serial killers. Also the forum for profiling discussions.

And here's Tabram's "Moon Chart" if you need it:

Forum for discussion about how Jack could have done it, why Jack might have done it and the psychological factors that are involved in serial killers. Also the forum for profiling discussions.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Wow, so no full moons whatsoever. So much for that theory then. Thanks for the info, Robert.

The question occurred to me while looking at Andrew Firth's incredible photo of the full moon through the clouds above Christchurch. (East End Photographs and Drawings- page 151.)
        Last edited by kensei; 11-14-2009, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Which then draws attention to what he accomplished on nights that he didnt even have the full moon as his "operating" light. He didnt time his killing to the nights when the moon would have helped him.

Cheers all.

Comment

Hi Michael

Even if he had, it would have been pot luck, with all those narrow lanes and tall buildings, whether the moon would have been obscured.

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post
              He didnt time his killing to the nights when the moon would have helped him...
              ...nor those who might have pursued him.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                Hi Michael

Even if he had, it would have been pot luck, with all those narrow lanes and tall buildings, whether the moon would have been obscured.
                True Robert, but he is only out from under the stars apparently that one time, so my guess is that ambient moon light had to have been somewhat important.

Thats also a good point Sam, the coppers would have benefited from the full moon as well.

Best regards

Comment

Working...
                X