Pinterest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinterest

I'm a casual Pinterest user. I basically have boards on booze, recipes, gardening, coffee/tea, musical instrument and a couple of others. My booze one seems to have garnered a small following, but otherwise I'm pretty much ignored.

So as part of the Pinterest family, about once a day or so I get an email giving me a list of 5-7 recommended pins, based on my areas of interest. Today's selection included a couple of interesting looking craft beers, a cheap plastic gizmo for sprouting avacado seeds, an article about the Giant Sequoia State Park (!?) and...."Debunking the Holocaust Myth"...wtf? Why in Eris' name would Pinterest recommend this to me, given my already established interests?

I mean, I occasionally get stuff that is not directly related to my interests, but there's usually at least a tangential connection, but this was truly off the radar bizarre. Has any else experienced something similar?
    “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
    I'm a casual Pinterest user. I basically have boards on booze, recipes, gardening, coffee/tea, musical instrument and a couple of others. My booze one seems to have garnered a small following, but otherwise I'm pretty much ignored.

So as part of the Pinterest family, about once a day or so I get an email giving me a list of 5-7 recommended pins, based on my areas of interest. Today's selection included a couple of interesting looking craft beers, a cheap plastic gizmo for sprouting avacado seeds, an article about the Giant Sequoia State Park (!?) and...."Debunking the Holocaust Myth"...wtf? Why in Eris' name would Pinterest recommend this to me, given my already established interests?

I mean, I occasionally get stuff that is not directly related to my interests, but there's usually at least a tangential connection, but this was truly off the radar bizarre. Has any else experienced something similar?

Facebook does similar, tosses up suggestions totally out of left field.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Like Netflix or YouTube recommendations...sometimes they make no sense whatsoever...it's all somebody buying and selling info and marketing...sad but true.... scares me even more when they get recommendations that are dead on... now that freaky!!

Steadmund Brand
      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
        Like Netflix or YouTube recommendations...sometimes they make no sense whatsoever...it's all somebody buying and selling info and marketing...sad but true.... scares me even more when they get recommendations that are dead on... now that freaky!!

Steadmund Brand
        Yeah, frightening. Like when FB recommends friends that you've known for years, but have no friends in common, or much else I can see.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

This reminded me...I took one of those quizzes the other day that said "we can tell you your age by answering 10 questions" well... according to them I am 15 years older than I actually am

Steadmund Brand
          "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Working...
          X