Albert Bachert's actual names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albert Bachert's actual names

Bachert's career has a number of unanswered questions.
    When was he actually born?
    His ages, as given in successive census returns, are wildly erratic and self contradictory. The earliest two - 1871 and 1881 - give his ages in those years as, respectively, 8 and 18. This would suggest a year of birth of 1863 or very close thereto. There is no birth record in 1863 for an Albert Bachert. The only record anywhere near that is of a William Albert Bachert born in Whitechapel in 1860.
    I summed this up in the "Cast of Thousands" book as follows:-
    "The question of Albert's date of birth and age is not an easy one to resolve. In the 1871 data his age is given as 8 years of age, which would place his birth in or around 1863. However, I have checked the BMD registers for the period 1860 to 1865 and the only possible entry that could refer to him is the record of a William Albert Bachert, whose birth was registered in Whitechapel in the last quarter of 1860. If this is indeed the Albert Backert under discussion, then his actual age at the time of the 1871 census would have been 10 years old.
    However, the extraordinary nature of the ages recorded for Backert in successive censuses make this two-year discrepancy seem positively trivial. In 1871 he is recorded as 8 years old, in 1881 he is 18 years old, in 1891 he is 22 years old and in 1901 his age is given as 26! I have in the course of my researches seen some wildly varied ages given over the course of different returns for what is undoubtedly the same individual, but this is probably the most extreme example I have encountered."

The remaining questions include these:
    What happened to him after 1901 when he is listed as living with his married sister Flora? I have found no record for him in 1911 census
    Did he leave the country and emigrate?
    When did he die? No death record for him has been found to my knowledge
    Did he ever marry?

However I have found another record which gives an alternative version, naming his as Albert Edward Bachert. This is from the Electoral Roll of 1893 and the address of 13 Newnham Street and the inclusion of his father John make it certain this is the same Albert Bachert.
    He is listed as occupying, in the long term family home, one unfurnished room on the second floor.
    Attached Files

closer look

Hello Chris. Thanks for posting this. Well done.

This age looks much more realistic than the early 20's figure so often encountered.

This and Tom's research make me wish to give him a closer look.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

It appears that he lied about his age.

I was wondering if 13 Newnham Street still exists today? With apologies for my ignorance.
      Best regards,
      Maria

Comment

It is possible to browse addresses in the electorals, but the way the search engine is working at the moment, it's not at the top of my agenda.

Comment

No problem.
          No time whatsoever for me to look up London stuff presently, I've got my plate full with the search for a cheap local Hebrew translator here in Chicago, while 90% of my energy goes into my book and into a conference I'm organizing for June.
          When I settle the Jewish stuff, I might attempt researching the WVC, and that's about as much as I can handle. (Apart from some Pinkerton stuff here in Chicago.)
          Best regards,
          Maria

Comment

Working...
          X