Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reynolds' shilling map 1895 OR Charles Booth Poverty Map 1889

Hello there!

I'm trying to find a way to legally obtain a relatively high resolution digital version of Reynolds' Shilling Map of 1895.

From what I see, it is better suited for research, imo, than Booth's Poverty map of 1889.

But I could live with Booth's map as well.

I found segments online, but I need my own copy so I can trace possible itineraries and point specific places on it. The website is, how should I put it, strangely designed, and a bit hard to maneuver.

I assume there must be a way to do that for local English people.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would very much appreciate.

Thank you.
    Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
    - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Hello SirJohn,

Stanfords in Covent Garden usually carry the "Godfrey 1894 Whitechapel" map and the Booth map.

dustymiller
    aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
      Hello SirJohn,

Stanfords in Covent Garden usually carry the "Godfrey 1894 Whitechapel" map and the Booth map.

http://www.stanfords.co.uk/
      Thank you so much.

Will look them up.
      - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

The MAPCO site has numerous high resolution and zoomable maps of London freely available. The best is usually reckoned to be Stanford's Library Map of London (used as the base for Booth's poverty maps) and two versions are available.

High resolution scans from the David Hale Map Collection.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Rusteze View Post
          The MAPCO site has numerous high resolution and zoomable maps of London freely available. The best is usually reckoned to be Stanford's Library Map of London (used as the base for Booth's poverty maps) and two versions are available.

High resolution scans from the David Hale Map Collection.

Steve
          Excellent! Thanks!
          - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Something interesting.

In the map provided by mapco.net, dated of 1886, there is indication of the Southwark Bridge.

In Wikipedia, they say the bridge was called Queen Road Bridge. And got the name Southwark when the old bridge was rebuilt in 1921.

Any Londoner can confirm/deny?
            - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Take a look at Darton's map of 1817 which has Blackfriars Bridge, as does Cruchley's of a few years later. Certainly long before 1921.

Steve

Comment

For "Blackfriars" read "Southwark" !

Steve

Comment

Take a look at Darton's map of 1817 which has Blackfriars Bridge, as does Cruchley's of a few years later. Certainly long before 1921.

Steve
                  impossible. Wikipedia cannot be wrong!!!
                  - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

For "Blackfriars" read "Southwark" !

Steve
                    ... and thanks.
                    - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
                      Hello there!

I'm trying to find a way to legally obtain a relatively high resolution digital version of Reynolds' Shilling Map of 1895.

From what I see, it is better suited for research, imo, than Booth's Poverty map of 1889.

But I could live with Booth's map as well.

I found segments online, but I need my own copy so I can trace possible itineraries and point specific places on it. The website is, how should I put it, strangely designed, and a bit hard to maneuver.

I assume there must be a way to do that for local English people.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would very much appreciate.

Thank you.
                      These are not the Schilling maps, but the National Library of Scotland has placed the London Ordnance Survey Maps online. They are five feet to the mile (1:1,056 scale.) They were published app. 1895 as the result of a revision of the previous OSM based on surveys from 1891-1895.

They are VERY detailed and easy to view online.

Link to maps: http://maps.nls.uk/os/london-1890s/info.html
                      Last edited by Jack Whicher; 09-26-2015, 11:13 PM. Reason: add information
                      Jack Whicher
                      __________________________________________________ ___________
                      FONT="Garamond"]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains,
                      no matter how improbable, must be the truth."[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                      X