No announcement yet.

Domestic or lunatic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes Ben, but I don't think Sarah Lewis had seen the man's face.
    She would if he was across the street from the entrance to Miller's Court, David (which, I believe, is where she had him in her police statement). She may have been describing just a figure, but Hutchinson didn't know that.

Regards,
    Ben

Comment

• May be so, Ben,
      but it was dark...
      I still think that Flemchinson would have had more reasons to be wary than Hutchinson.

Amitiés,
      David

Comment

• Hi David

Originally posted by DVV View Post
        Hi Observer,
        I personally believe Mary to be a Ripper victim. My sentence about "copy-cat work" refered to the McKenzie's murder.
        On the contrary, with Fleming becoming insane (or progressively showing signs of insanity), and being at large after the Miller's Court affair, there is a (slight) possibility that the murders did not have an abrupt end (ie: McKenzie being, as an example, the work of a debilitated Ripper).
        But I may have misunderstood your post, and if so, I apologize in advance.

Amitiés,
        David
        No it is I who misinterpreted you, so accept my apology. I thought you were reffering to Mary Kelly as a copycat murder. I also believe Mary Kelly was a Ripper victim, not so sure about McKenzie though, there's little in the way of the injuries inflicted on McKenzie to suggest she was a Ripper victim.

all the best

Observer

Comment

• Hi Observer!

There is even less in the Stride case, mind you...!

The best!
          Fisherman

Comment

• Hi Observer,
            I agree: just like you, I've never thought that McKenzie was a Ripper victim.
            But in the hypothesis of "Fleming the Ripper", it's only fair and logical to see her murder as a posible "delibitated Ripper work".

Amitiés,
            David

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben View Post
              Hi David,
              Oh indeed, this is as good a place as any to explore that angle, and as you know, I believe a plausible argument can be advanced for identifying Fleming with Hutchinson. It's just a pity that the original extensive discussion, "Alias Fleming and Hutch", was lost in the relatively recent "crash".
              Hi Ben and all,
              I re-read this morning the thread "Alias Fleming and Hutch", and also "Hutchinson: conviction for stealing?".
              Of particular interest was the researches of Hutch in the census by Sam Flynn (post 30 / 02-24-2006). It reveals several "George Hutchinson", but none of them seems to be "our" Hutch.
              I may have missed something, however...
              Has our Hutch been traced in between time? Or still is he as elusive as in 2006?

Amitiés,
              David

Comment

• Hello David,

I can't recall anyone pinpointing "the" George Hutchinson definitively since. I guess we're left with a choice of those already identified, foremost among which (personal opinion) would still be the watch-stealer from Cottage Grove and dear old "Toppy".
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Merci beaucoup Sam.
                  Hélas, je commence à ne voir que Flemchinson dans ma ligne de mire et j'ai envie de presser la détente.
                  Besoin d'une douche et de quelques pastis bien frais...

Amitiés,
                  David

Comment

• Hi David,

If you have the contents of "Alias Fleming and Hutch" to hand, could you remind us of his date of birth and date of entry to Claybury Asylum? I think I've located the most likely repository for the individual patient records of that hospital, and would probably need to cite both when I contact them.

Many thanks in advance!

Oh, and personally I still prefer "Flemchinson", but of the various "George Hutchinson"s out there, I'd agree with Gareth that George Thomas Hutchinson of Cottage Grove is the closest fit among them.

Ben
                    Last edited by Ben; 08-26-2008, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• That, Ben, sounds extremely intriguing!

I wish you the best of luck!

Fisherman

Comment

• Thanks, Fisherman!

I'll let you all know how I get on.

Comment

• Hi Ben,
                          sorry for replying late, I was out.
                          Here is what I found from "Alias...", posted by snelson:
                          "Joseph was admitted under the name of James Evans to the City of London Asylum at Stone on July 4, 1892. On Feb 14, 1895, he was transfered to the City of London Mental Hospital at Claybury, where he died on Aug 28, 1920. His mother, Henrietta, is listed in the Stone records as residing at 261 Nile Street.
                          Here is the Death Cert. quoted:

28 Aug 1920 at Claybury Mental Hospital, Urban District. Joseph Fleming, otherwise James Evans. Male, 65 years. Of City of London Union Infirmary. Previous address unknown. Chargeable to Bethnal Green, a dock-labourer. Cause of death, Pulmonary Tuberculosis, 6 months, 13 days PM. Certified by F. Paine, acting Medical Superintendent, Claybury Mental Hospital, Ilford, 1 Sept 1920."

Amitiés,
                          David

Comment

• About Fleming's birth, from the thread "Mysterious ex boyfriend", posted by Clandrews, 4 March 2006:

"Joseph Fleming's birth was registered in the 3rd quarter (April to June) of 1859 in Bethnal Green District. In 1861 his family was living at 60 Wellington Street South in Bethnal Green. They were:

Richard Fleming, head of family, married, age 39, plasterer, born Ramsgate, Kent;
                            Henrietta Fleming, wife, married, age 40, born Camberwell, Surrey;
                            William Fleming, son, age 5, scholar, born Shoreditch, Middlesex;
                            Jane Fleming, daughter, age 4, scholar, born Shoreditch, Middlesex;
                            Joseph Fleming, son, age 2, born Bethnal Green, Middlesex."

Comment

• Thanks for the reminder, David!

I've just shot off an email to the respository in question.

Best wishes,
                              Ben

Comment

• My pleasure, Ben,
                                we will be waiting for your findings.
                                Now it's rugby time for me, first match of the season (Top 14) at Mayol stadium, Toulon.
                                Good evening.

Comment

Working...
                                X