Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: Was Ernest Dowson Jack the Ripper? - by SuspectZero 22 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 37 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by jerryd 47 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 1 hour and 19 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by richardnunweek 2 hours ago.
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - by DirectorDave 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (10 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (6 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: Elizabeth's murder and the double event - (4 posts)
General Discussion: Albert Backert - did he emigrate? - (3 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (2 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2017, 01:53 PM
Inspector

Hi Jerryd

I suppose that this is why we're all hooked on the case. Every avenue leads to half a dozen others. Every scenario suggests half a dozen others.
I do take your point about his 'friend' though. After all you would think that she would be overjoyed at the thought of her man becoming successful. I wonder if he now felt that he could get her off the streets but she didn't want to.

Who knows?

Regards
HS
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:50 PM
Chief Inspector

Default Biographical sources on Francis Joseph Thompson (1859-1907)

My search was performed on WorldCat at www.worldcat.org ("the world's largest library catalog") using the search string SUBJECT: Francis Thompson (1859-1907) biograhy / filtered by format Book and language English. The result list was "about 20" and included books, e-books, and a couple of database articles of the reference type. Most of the books were originally published between 1912 and 1988, and most had multiple editions. I have noted down how many libraries hold each title, as this is often an indication of the quality of a nonfiction book.

I hope it will help Casebook readers who want to learn more about the life of Francis Thompson, seminary and medical school student, poet, author, street-dweller, and recent Ripper suspect.

Boardman, Brigid M.
Between Heaven and Charing Cross: the Life of Francis Thompson
1988, Yale University Press. Available as an ebook. (9 editions, held by 477 libraries.) She also wrote the article "Thompson, Francis Joseph (1859-1907), poet and writer" for the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography Online.

Butter, Peter H.
Francis Thompson. 1961, Longmans, Green. (17 editions, held by 606 libraries.)

Connolly, Terence L.
Francis Thompson: In His Paths, a Visit to Persons and Places Associated with the Poet. 1944, 1954, Bruce Publishing Company. (9 editions, held by 357 libraries.)

De La Gorce, Agnes and Kynaston-Snell, Harold.
Francis Thompson. 1933, Burns, Oates, and Washbourne, Ltd. Available online. (5 editions, held by 73 libraries.)

Fisher, Benjamin Franklin.
Francis Thompson Essays. 1971, Franklin Publishing Co. Available as an ebook. (5 editions, held by 55 libraries.)

Hind, C. Lewis.
Naphtali: being influences and adventures while earning a living by writing, with forty-four illustrations. 1926, John Lane, The Bodley Head. Available as an ebook. (13 editions, held by 141 libraries.)

Kelly, Michael A. (Note: search by Thompson, Francis.)
Author of a biographical sketch on the poet included in a reprinted edition of Thompson's The Hound of Heaven (originally 1916) 2015, Forgotton (sic) Books. (151 editions, held by 748 libraries.)

Koch, Hugo.
The real "Man with the Twisted Lip": Francis Thompson: some observations upon the extra-canonical source and model for TWIS with remarks upon "the Hound of Heaven" -- and-- a hound of hell--. 2007, H. Koch. Series: Holmesiana, v.54, no. 1. Note says: Limited edition. 100 copies "privately printed for distribution to the Holmesian fraternity at Christmas, 2007." No library holdings.

Meynall, Everad.
The Life of Francis Thompson. (1913). This edition is a reprint: 1971, Scholarly Press. (64 editions, held by 710 libraries.) This edition is also available as an e-book, held only by the HathiTrust Digital Library.

Meynall, Viola.
Francis Thompson and Wilfrid Meynall, a Memoir. 1953, c.1952, Dutton. (20 editions, held by 593 libraries.)

Owlett, F. C.
Francis Thompson. (1936) This edition is a reprint: 1976, Norwood Editions. (13 editions, held by 80 libraries.)

Reid, J. C. (John Cowie)
Francis Thompson, Man and Poet. 1960, c.1959, Newman Press. (21 editions, held by 459 libraries.)

Thomson, John. (2 books)
-- Francis Thompson: Poet and Mystic. 1974, Haskall House. (13 editions, held by 179 libraries.)
-- Francis Thompson, the Preston-born poet: with notes on some of his works. 1977, Norwood Editions. Note: "Reprint of the 1912 edition, published by A. Halewood, Preston, England." I think Thomson likely is the editor of the older book in this reprint and probably added the notes. (25 editions, held by 162 libraries.)

Van K. (Kuykendall) Thomson, Paul.
Francis Thompson: a Critical Biography. 1973, c.1961, Gordian Press. (15 editions, held by 566 libraries.)

Walsh, John Evangelist.
Strange Harp, Strange Symphony: The Life of Francis Thompson. 1968, Allen. (12 editions, held by 652 libraries.)

Wright, Thomas Henry.
Francis Thompson and His Poetry. 1977, Norwood Editions. (18 editions, held by 151 libraries.)

Additional resources:
Article called "Thompson, Francis (1859-1907) poet and contributor to the Athenaeum and other critical reviews" in the online database Who Was Who by Oxford University Press.

Online encyclopedias such as The Catholic Encyclopedia and the Encyclopedia Britiannica also contain articles on this man.
---------------

Last edited by Pcdunn : 05-29-2017 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Correcting typos.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:00 PM
Commisioner

Thanks for the last Dunny.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:19 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
Thanks for the last Dunny.
You're welcome, of course, Gut. It was a lengthy project, but one I've been planning to do for some time.

Oh, by the way, a great site for finding online versions of older books that are out of copyright is Project Gutenberg. Could be a source for Thompson's writings.

Facts want to be free!
---------------

Last edited by Pcdunn : 05-29-2017 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Forgot something!
Old 05-29-2017, 03:38 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
You're welcome, of course, Gut. It was a lengthy project, but one I've been planning to do for some time.

Oh, by the way, a great site for finding online versions of older books that are out of copyright is Project Gutenberg. Could be a source for Thompson's writings.

Facts want to be free!
I love Gutenberg (they even named it after me....)

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:39 PM
Inspector

That was no easy task I imagine. Good stuff. That one piece of info that proves or disproves could be out there somewhere.

Regards

HS
Old 05-29-2017, 03:49 PM
Sergeant

Thank you PCdunn for compiling this list of books about the Life of Francis Thompson. There is much to read but each book adds to the knowledge base. Here are a selection of books that I have sourced in my research. Some of these books are on Thompson and some are on the Ripper crimes. It is not an exhaustive list and some of the titles, that you have already listed, are included.

'The Poems of Francis Thompson'. London University Press. 1960. Reprint of 1913 edition. Beverly Taylor 'Francis Thompson'. 1987. G.K. Hall & Company. , Blunt. Wilfrid Scawen 'My Diaries. Being a Personal Narrative of Events 1888-1914'. Part Two 1900-1914. New Knopf. York. Alfred A. 1822. Uncut edition. , Boardman. Brigid M. 'Between Heaven and Charing Cross'. The Life of Francis Thompson.' 1988, Connolly. Rev. Terence L. S.J., Ph.D. 'Poems of Francis Thompson.' 1941 Appleton Century-Crofts, Inc. New York. , 'Francis Thompson, In His Paths.' The Bruce Publishing Company Milwaukee. , Darrell. Figgis. (1882-1925) 'Bye-Ways of Study.' 1918. Talbot Press. , Megroz. R.L 'Francis Thompson the Poet of Earth in Heaven, A Study in Poetic Mysticism and the Evolution of Love-Poetry.' 1927. Faber & Gwyer. , Meynell Everard. 'The Life of Francis Thompson' 1913 1st edition. & 1926 5th revised. Burns Oats & Washbourne. Ltd. , Meynell. Viola. 'Francis Thompson and Wilfrid Meynell'. 1952. London. Holis & Carter. , ‘Francis Thompson and Wilfrid Meynell’ A memoir by Viola Meynell. London Hollis & Carter, 1952. ,The 'Works of Francis Thompson'. Vols. I,II,III. London. First Impression, May 1913. , Thompson. Francis 'Selected Poems'. London. Burns and Oats. Ltd. , Thompson. Paul Van K.. 'Francis Thompson a Critical Biography''. 1973. Gordian Press, New York. , Walsh. John Evangelist 'Strange Harp, Strange Symphony'. The Life of Francis Thompson. 1987, Walsh. John Evangelist 'The Letters of Francis Thompson'. 1969. Hawthorn Books, Inc. , Jackson. Holbrook. 'The Eighteen Nineties A Review of Art and Ideas at The Close of the Nineteenth Century.' 1913. , Merry England Nov, 1888 edition. London. , Dew Walter. Chief Inspector. 'I Caught Crippen.' 1938. , Harrison Michael 'Clarence, Was He Jack the Ripper?' 1972 . W. H. Allen. 1972. , Leyton Elliott 'Compulsive Killers'. The Story of Modern Multiple Murder'. 1986. , Evans Stewart P. & Skinner Keith. 'Jack the Ripper. Letters From Hell' 2001. Sutton Publishing. , Fido. Martin 'The Crimes Detection and Death of Jack the Ripper'. Copyright Martin Fido. 1987. , Howells Martin & Skinner Keith. 'The Ripper Legacy. The Life & Death of Jack the Ripper.' 1987. Begg Paul, Fido Martin & Skinner Keith. 'The Jack the Ripper A-Z'. Headline. , Rumbelow Donald. 'The Complete Jack the Ripper.'. 1975. Penguin Books. The Revised Edition. Sphere Books. Ltd. , Sudgen. Phillip 'The Complete History of Jack the Ripper'. 1995. Robinson Publishing Limited. London. , Washington Mews Books. , Wilson. Colin & Odell Robin. 'Jack the Ripper' Summing Up and Verdict.' Bantam Press 1987 & Wilson. Colin & Seaman. Donald. 'The encyclopaedia of Modern murder.' 1989. Pan Books & Also Wilson and Seaman 'The Serial Killers. A Study in the Psychology of Violence.' 1990. Unwin. , The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Companion. Stewart P. Evans & Keith Skinner. Carroll & Graf Publishers, Inc New York, 2000. 'Altick. Richard D. 'Victorian Studies in Scarlet'. 1970. J. W.W. Norton & Company, Inc. , Farmer. David Hugh. 'The Oxford Dictionary of Saints.' Oxford University Press. Oxford. 1978. , FFinch. Michael 'G.K. Chesterton A Biography'. 1986. Harper and Row. Publishers. Inc. 10 East 53rd Street, Fishman. William J. 'The East End 1888'. 1988. Gerald Duckworth & Co. Ltd. , Heath-Stubbs John. 'The Darkling Plain'. Eyre & Spottiswoode. London. , Kuntiz. Stanley. J. 'British Authors of the Nineteenth Century'. 1936. H.W. Wilson & Company. , Lowndes Marie Belloc. 'The Lodger'. 1913. Methuen & Co. Ltd. First Four Square Edition reprints. December 1966. , Palmer. Alan. 'The East End'. 1989. John Murray. Ltd. , Microfiche of 1888. 'Times' also for August 31 dock fire. Also Australian 'Argus' 1888. Stowe John 'Survey of Westminster' mdxcviii, inc maps. , Bible Old and New Testaments. Various Internet Sites including 'The Ripper Casebook'. The Victorian State Library, La Trobe University Library, Melbourne Salvation Army Archives, The British Library, British National Art Library. , Moorehead Caroline ‘The Lost Treasures of Troy’. 1994. Phoenix Giants. London.

"Jack the Ripper, The Works of Francis Thompson"

http://www.francisjthompson.com/
Old 05-29-2017, 07:26 PM
Chief Inspector

Here are some more references to Francis Thompson.
Archie Lindo April 1939.
Marion Turner march 1924.
Margaret Stuart May 1930
Rev W.J.Turnball October 1916.

From the same source. Alice Meynell wrote the poem '«hrist in the universe'.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:09 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
Here are some more references to Francis Thompson.
Archie Lindo April 1939.
Marion Turner march 1924.
Margaret Stuart May 1930
Rev W.J.Turnball October 1916.

From the same source. Alice Meynell wrote the poem '«hrist in the universe'.
Hello, Harry, thanks for this-- but is there a journal title (or titles) you've left out? I don't know if you're referring to articles or books.
---------------
Old 05-30-2017, 07:06 PM
Chief Inspector

Pcdunn,
The articles I mention are taken from a colonial newspaper,the Jamaica Gleaner.
While all refer to lectures given in Kingston,Jamaica,it seems the persons mentioned were held in high esteem,and their knowledge from a personell study of Francis Thompson.
W hether they wrote books or left evidence of their studies,I do not know.
I have not yet read every article concerning Thompson,nor tried to follow up on the persons mentioned.
Regards.