X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
    Hi Dave.

How long were the rag and bone men around? (I guess I assumed they were all gone by WWII. Thanks.)

Archaic
    I knew a rag and bone man who was around in the late 1980s Bun.

Rob

Comment

• One still goes down my street.

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• 'Totter' was another name for them.

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
          Hi Dave.

How long were the rag and bone men around? (I guess I assumed they were all gone by WWII. Thanks.)

Archaic
          In Camberwell there were stables for 'Rag & Bone' men near the Green up to 1977. Though they still used the 'Any ole rags an' bonessssss' cry, they mainly collected household throwouts and scrap metal. This was often of ecclesiastical origin.

I was, as a young PC, called to a distressed horse in Albany Road, where the 'Totter' was attempting to move most of the ton of new lead for St. Giles's Church roof. Result: My first and only issue of a Form 28 (I think it was) 'Request to a Vet to put down a Horse' and my first arrest for cruelty to the horse and theft!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
            'Totter' was another name for them.

Rob
            Hi Rob.

Were they called "Totter" because the poor horse pulling the wagon tottered in the road? The definition of totter is "To move in a feeble or unsteady way; to sway, staggger or wobble."

Reminds me of the old Stephen Foster song:
            "Just a few more days for to tote the weary load,
            No matter, 'twill never be light;
            Just a few more days till we totter on the road,
            Then my old Kentucky home, goodnight."

Hi PC Roadnight.

I'm a horse owner, and love my horses very much, so that's a sad story about the horse you had to order put down. It's shocking how some people forget that domestic animals are living things, and abuse them as if they're machines that can't feel exhaustion or pain.

I wonder when America saw its last rag & bone men?

The closest thing to it that I've seen is the old guys who go up & down the streets, checking in trash bins for aluminum cans to sell for recycling- probably for mere pennies. They're usually old alcoholics. It looks like a sad life.

Best regards,
            Archaic

Comment

• Bunny this will make you feel better.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• 'Rag & Bone Men' Memories and A Cool 1979 Video!

Thanks for that Robert.

Out of curiosity I looked up rag & bone men on Google & on YouTube.

Found some terrific reminiscences online that I thought others might enjoy- stories of kids getting a fish or a balloon for a bundle of old clothes!

Rag & Bone Memories: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...0123532AAt54kE

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

*Best of all is this YouTube video
                'Mitcham Rag & Bone Man Tom, on Magpie, 1979' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rApQ0pxMWXs

I'm pleased to see that the horse 'Joe' looks very happy and healthy... Going around with the horse-pulled wagon actually looks like fun!

(Love the completely incoherent "Ol'iron'n'bone!" cry- at least i thinks that what it started out as...)

Cheers,
                Archaic

Comment

• Tot I believe is a slang term for bones. Other than that I don't know where the name came from.

Rob

Comment

• Thanks Rob.

According to an 1874 dictionary:

"Totting, bone-picking, either peripatetically or at the dust-heaps. "Tot" is a bone, but chiffoniers and cinder-hunters generally are called Tot-pickers nowadays. Totting also has its votaries on the banks of the Thames, where all kinds of flotsam and jetsam, from coals to carrion, are known as Tots. "

Hmmm, puts the term "Tater Tots" in a new light...
                    (For those of you not familiar with them, tater tots are baked shredded potatoes shaped like small thick logs, beloved of children.)

Thanks,
                    Archaic

PS: "Chiffonier" is French for "rag-gatherer", and is also a rather elegant term for an enclosed antique sideboard! Odd.
                    Last edited by Archaic; 05-21-2012, 09:35 PM.

Comment

• Tots is another word for little children like toddlers, ankle biters or little b'stards.

Rob

Comment

• Hi Rob.

I know you're right.

"Tots" meaning "bones" just made Tater Tots sound gross; I guess because kids dip them in blood-like ketchup.

Archaic

Comment

• The only tot I generally acknowledge is 1/32 of a bottle!

Dave

Comment

• The Coachman

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                            My mother would often say it when she saw a horse drawn vehicle...especially the local rag and bone man...on a visit to London she once badly upset a very pompous coachman exiting the Royal Mews...

Dave
                            It wasn't John Netley was it?

Regards, Colin.
                            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Alas no, but he had ruddy cheeks, and a haughty demeanour...It probably didn't help that while my mother was calling out Whalla whalla Cats meat in her most refined Wapping tones, my brother and I (aged 7 and 11) were chanting out a version of the Steptoe theme tune...not very well bred children now I look back on it...and god was my father cross with us all...

Dave

Comment

• ...because you returned without any cat's meat.

Comment

Working...
                                X