Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by David Orsam 9 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by David Orsam 15 minutes ago.
Annie Chapman: Can someone explain to me 'shabby gentile?' - by ChrisGeorge 2 hours ago.
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by ChrisGeorge 2 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by caz 2 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Cecil Hotel, Richard Raminez, Jack Unterweger - by Abby Normal 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (15 posts)
Bury, W.H.: Mock trial for Bury Feb 3 - (11 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (9 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: RE : Joseph Issacs - (7 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Cecil Hotel, Richard Raminez, Jack Unterweger - (3 posts)
Annie Chapman: Can someone explain to me 'shabby gentile?' - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Lechmere/Cross, Charles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-20-2016, 07:02 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterySinger View Post
In the case of Polly, William Nichols seems to have had a stronger motive for wanting her gone than did Lechmere and he was having a bad time of it, but I'm not suggesting that he was Jack.
Do, by all means. All you need to prove is why William Nichols would kill four or five MORE victims, and of course, that he was in place at the murder sites.

The suggestion is NOT a good one, and the two are worlds apart in terms of viability.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-20-2016, 07:12 AM
Rainbow Rainbow is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 284
Default

Yes, it will be a good idea for a new thread too

To compare William Nichols with Joseph Barnett

One had killed the target woman first , and continue to kill more 4 women

And one had killed 4 women first, and then he killed the target woman

William Nichols vs. Joseph Barnett

Well well well... I need a cup of coffee..


Rainbow°
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-20-2016, 07:13 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
Yes, it will be a good idea for a new thread too

To compare William Nichols with Joseph Barnett

One had killed the target woman first , and continue to kill more 4 women

And one had killed 4 women first, and then he killed the target woman

William Nichols vs. Joseph Barnett

Well well well... I need a cup of coffee..


Rainbow°
Joseph Barnett...?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-20-2016, 07:35 AM
MysterySinger MysterySinger is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 420
Default

Well since not everybody agrees as to the number of victims there were for JTR, it's not necessarily correct to say that there "had" to be a target at 1 or 5, no matter what a certain Police official may have written.

What was Joe Barnet's motive to murder Kelly anyway - as far as I know they weren't wed so he was already free to marry again if he wished (and in some departments it is said he did so to Mary Ann Cox??). As you say, anyway, that's a different thread.

What was Charles Cross's motive for murdering Polly (and was there ever any proof, or hint, that he was insane)?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-20-2016, 07:52 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterySinger View Post
Well since not everybody agrees as to the number of victims there were for JTR, it's not necessarily correct to say that there "had" to be a target at 1 or 5, no matter what a certain Police official may have written.

What was Joe Barnet's motive to murder Kelly anyway - as far as I know they weren't wed so he was already free to marry again if he wished (and in some departments it is said he did so to Mary Ann Cox??). As you say, anyway, that's a different thread.

What was Charles Cross's motive for murdering Polly (and was there ever any proof, or hint, that he was insane)?
IŽll leave Barnett out, if you donŽt mind. As for Lechmere, the "normal" motive for a serial killer is to exert control over other people, whether it is to satisfy sexual urges or something else. The fewest serialists are insane, in the technical meaning of the word. Generally speaking, they are fit to plead, and they usually know that they are doing something they are not supposed to do. They just donŽt care, since they write their own rules.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-20-2016, 07:53 AM
Rainbow Rainbow is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Joseph Barnett...?
Joe Barnett


http://www.casebook.org/suspects/barnett.html
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-20-2016, 07:59 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
Yes, I know - I was just wondering how he came into the picture. Maybe I missed something, I donŽt know.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-20-2016, 08:21 AM
Rainbow Rainbow is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 284
Default

I mean almost everyone can create a motive that suits his suspect, thats why I don't believe in this motive approach to solve the case..

Who would ever know that the Zodiac motive was to take slaves for his afterlife ? for example

Find him, then ask him what was his motive..


Rainbow°
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-20-2016, 10:31 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
I mean almost everyone can create a motive that suits his suspect, thats why I don't believe in this motive approach to solve the case..

Who would ever know that the Zodiac motive was to take slaves for his afterlife ? for example

Find him, then ask him what was his motive..


Rainbow°
IŽm not even sure that heŽd be able to put it into words himself. Most likely, it would end in a "I dunnoŽ, I jst wanted to do it, and I did".

The whole idea that we should look for motives is quite ridiculous, I agree.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-20-2016, 12:24 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,407
Default

[quote=Fisherman;401100]
Quote:
IŽll leave Barnett out, if you donŽt mind. As for Lechmere, the "normal" motive for a serial killer is to exert control over other people, whether it is to satisfy sexual urges or something else.
Is there any source showing that Lechmere wanted to exert control over other people?

Quote:
The fewest serialists are insane, in the technical meaning of the word. Generally speaking, they are fit to plead, and they usually know that they are doing something they are not supposed to do. They just donŽt care, since they write their own rules.
Is there any source showing that Lechmere wrote his own rules?

Since I assume you want to write a history about Lechmere and not about "serial killers" or "serialists".
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.