What was withheld??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Lovejoy and AP,

The police must have known the killer's shoe size, and perhaps style, without ever revealing it. I can't imagine with all the blood and such around that JtR wouldn't have stepped in some of it and left some tracks.

AP-It looks like you identified the suspect but refused to give testimony against him. No further killings occurred after he was confined in an asylum.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
      Hi Lovejoy and AP,

The police must have known the killer's shoe size, and perhaps style, without ever revealing it. I can't imagine with all the blood and such around that JtR wouldn't have stepped in some of it and left some tracks.

AP-It looks like you identified the suspect but refused to give testimony against him. No further killings occurred after he was confined in an asylum.
      hi without possible dna traces which ive heard from evidence left there is none due to being kept in plastic bags clues like shoe size help a bit more but clues like the two rings taken or decription of mans clothing at 130am in mitre square high chance its jtr if this was matched to stuff found at burys kosminski or druitts or chapmans house after there deaths it would substantial evidence are there any records of what was found inthere houses are there any decriptions of the rings taken can any help here i think this is a good line of enquiry two rings were found at burys but i need descriptions to match for me to nail him as jtr

Comment

correction

i meant after the deaths of driutt and kosminski sent away and arrest of bury and chapman sorry for that interuptions from phone perhaps this is an excuse for errors done years ago lol

Comment

Related questions could be:

Was there false information put out by police with the intent of tripping up the killer?

And if so, might some of it have gone unretracted and we now accept it as fact when it is totally false?

Stan Reid

Comment

Of course, things could have been withheld because of embarrassment as much as anything.

For example, if a policeman was following Eddowes, lost the contact and this resulted in her death with no capture of the killer.

Stan Reid

Comment

It is my udnerstanding that witholding bits of information, especially things known only to the killer was a practice as far back as the LVP.

I think that law enforcement's strong feelings that the Ripper was a local mentally ill, Jewish man were witheld, and I think that there were some other piece(s) of evidence that led them to surmise this that were also witheld...
              Cheers,
              cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

Maybe I am wrong, but as far as I remember the summarising police report on the Nichols case (written by Swanson?) mentions two or three stabs in intimate parts. These are not mentioned in the inquiry.

So if I am not making a fool of myself (I don't have the Sourcebook at hand at the moment) this could be a withheld piece of information.

Comment

Hi Frank,
                  right, two small stabs, and it's to be found in Swanson's report.
                  However, I don't think it has been purposely witheld by the police. Most probably, Llewelyn didn't find necessary to reveal this "indecent" detail at the inquest.
                  Plillips also wasn't willing to talk too much at the Chapman's inquest.

Amitiés,
                  David

Comment

I was wondering when some authorities started thinking that an "enterprising young journalist" wrote Dear Boss and Saucy Jack, because if the felt that way early on, why make up the posters with the reproduced letters so you can show the handwriting? Is there some other reason they might have done that even if they thought it was faked...and they knew who wrote it? Was that reason withheld maybe?

Is withholding the reason we really dont know why the 3 detectives were searching streets and lanes near Mitre before Kate is murdered? It was not related to Liz, that much is clear.

It seems to me that there may well have been crossed mandates on some occasions that Fall...police working on more than 1 important investigation at a time. If evidence of an extremely sensitive nature is found within evidence gathered while investigating murders...or vice versa....there might be National Security issues that dictate suppression of facts or data.

It seems to me that both kinds of crimes were being brewed up..of course along with tea ... in the East End at the time.

Best regards all.

Comment

The name of the City P. C. near Mitre Square who may have seen JtR, as per Macnaghten, seems to have escaped release to the press but I'm not sure what the investigative advantage of that would have been. I guess they could have held him in reserve as a guard against false confessions or accusations but I'm not confident of the value of that since they couldn't have been sure if it really was the Ripper he saw, that is, if the account is even true in the first place.

Stan Reid

Comment

The identity of "the only person who ever saw the murderer" was also never revealed, that is, if he truly ever existed. Lord only knows why unless it was to suborn obstruction of justice which makes no sense and this leaves the story somewhat in my mind's doubt.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Stan,

One thing is clear....that among all the most senior men involved with the Ripper cases, and all of the men most prominent in the streets, there is no "consensus" story.

They all wrote what they personally felt.

I dont think we have ever got a sense of what the actual investigations concluded, the official line as it were, because they didnt conclude anything.

I think there was activity equal to or more important than the Ripper murders going on in tandem with those investigations....and thats why no-one can draw an unbroken line to a truth in here.

Its like we have 3/4 of the big picture. We look at minute details within some unsolved murders....not so much at what they may have meant in "the big picture" or why that particular Fall.

I think of the Parnell Commission coming up that Winter, the foiled assassination attempt on Lord Balfour that at least one senior official thought was to be orchestrated by "Jack"....the Torsos and their locations in 88 and 89, the fallout from something like a Trafalgar Square, the tense relations with immigrant Jews and self Rule Irishmen, .....are some things we dont know due to the fact they overlap on investigations thought to be more pressing than the murder of some desperately poor and homeless women?

Cheers Stan

Comment

I don't believe the details of Schwartz' account regarding Stride and BS were released at the time or were they? Right now, I don't remember seeing the story in Ripper books released much before the centennial.
                            Last edited by sdreid; 11-18-2009, 03:56 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Stan

Not sure off the top of my head, but I think it was Stephen Knight who first published the Schwartz story.

Comment

Working...
                              X