Cater florists, 15 Northways Parade, Finchley Road. NW3 5EN

Hepworths tailors, 43 Burnt Oak Broadway, Burnt Oak. HA8 5JZ

Burtol cleaners, 129 Finchley Road. NW3 6HY

D. Cowley newsagents, 408 Scotland Road, Liverpool. L5 5AJ

Reynold’s Billiard Hall, 12 Lime Street, Liverpool. L1 1RD

St.George’s Hall, St George's Place, Liverpool L1 1JJ

Stevonia Cafe, 64 Central Drive, Blackpool. FY1 5QB

Old Shire Hall, 5 Northgate Street, Warwick. CV34 4SP

Langham Gardens, Burnt Oak. HA8 9EG (Deacon)

Jim – residences

12 Sycamore Grove, Kingsbury. NW9 8RB (Family)

72 Wood Lane, Kingsbury. NW9 7PA (Vienna register)

46 Mildenhall Road, Clapton. E5 0RU (Pryce)

Vienna Hotel, 158 Sutherland Avenue. W9 1HP

Freeling House, Boundary Road, St John’s Wood. NW8 0RX (France)

23 Cambridge Court, Sussex Gardens, Paddington. W2 1EU (Anderson)

Salvation Army Hostel, 240 Bute Street, Cardiff. CF10 5TY

Ingledene, 60 Kinmel Street, Rhyl. LL18 1AW

O’Flynn’s Hotel, 1 Camden Place, Patricks Bridge, Cork, Ireland

Hope House, 80 Central Drive, Blackpool. FY1 5QD

Valerie and Mike

Road Research Laboratory, Langley Hall, 348 Langley Rd, Slough. SL3 8BS

Cassiobury Park, Watford. WD18 7LB

15 Anthony Way, Cippenham. SL1 5PG

Sabine House, Shirley Road, Abbots Langley. WD5 0NF

68 St Mark’s Road, Maidenhead. SL6 6DL

Ewer

10 The Station Arcade, Swiss Cottage. NW3 6HY

King’s Head Inn, 39 Saltisford, Warwick. CV34 4TD

Alphon

7 Hurst Avenue, Horsham. RH12 2EL

Barrington Club, 91 Jermyn Street. SW1Y 6JB

Hotel du Louvre, Place André Malraux, 75001 Paris, France

Justice and Fox’s country house Laudate in Newdigate, Surrey, may also deserve a mention.

It was dubbed ‘a sink of iniquity’ by the News of the World after details of their rural pursuits came to light in the rent boy trial. In the year following Hanratty’s execution Alphon paid several visits and there were at least two periods when he was left alone there. In 1963 Ewer came down for a weekend.

Later in the 60s it was sold to Peter Asher of ‘Peter and Gordon’. Great train robber Bruce Reynolds hid out there when he was on the run. When Kenny Everett stayed there his wife, Lee Middleton, was inspired to take up spiritualism. There were also Beatle connections; Harrison stayed there, as did Lennon who wrote part of ‘Happiness is a warm gun’ at the house.

Comment

Originally posted by NickB View Post
      The current addresses and post codes of places associated with the case:

Car journey

1 Marsh Lane (or Elm View Farm), Dorney Reach. SL4 6QR

Regent garage, Sipsons Corner, Bath Road, Harlington. UB3 5AY

Shell garage, 584 Kingsbury Circle. NW9 9RR

Deadman’s Hill, Clophill. MK45 3QT

Avondale Crescent, Ilford. IG4 5JB

Jim - visits

Broadway House Hotel, 39-40 Dorset Square. NW1 6QN

Rehearsal Club, 3-4 Archer Street. W1D 7AP

Cater florists, 15 Northways Parade, Finchley Road. NW3 5EN

Hepworths tailors, 43 Burnt Oak Broadway, Burnt Oak. HA8 5JZ

Burtol cleaners, 129 Finchley Road. NW3 6HY

D. Cowley newsagents, 408 Scotland Road, Liverpool. L5 5AJ

Reynold’s Billiard Hall, 12 Lime Street, Liverpool. L1 1RD

St.George’s Hall, St George's Place, Liverpool L1 1JJ

Stevonia Cafe, 64 Central Drive, Blackpool. FY1 5QB

Old Shire Hall, 5 Northgate Street, Warwick. CV34 4SP

Langham Gardens, Burnt Oak. HA8 9EG (Deacon)

Jim – residences

12 Sycamore Grove, Kingsbury. NW9 8RB (Family)

72 Wood Lane, Kingsbury. NW9 7PA (Vienna register)

46 Mildenhall Road, Clapton. E5 0RU (Pryce)

Vienna Hotel, 158 Sutherland Avenue. W9 1HP

Freeling House, Boundary Road, St John’s Wood. NW8 0RX (France)

23 Cambridge Court, Sussex Gardens, Paddington. W2 1EU (Anderson)

Salvation Army Hostel, 240 Bute Street, Cardiff. CF10 5TY

Ingledene, 60 Kinmel Street, Rhyl. LL18 1AW

O’Flynn’s Hotel, 1 Camden Place, Patricks Bridge, Cork, Ireland

Hope House, 80 Central Drive, Blackpool. FY1 5QD

Valerie and Mike

Road Research Laboratory, Langley Hall, 348 Langley Rd, Slough. SL3 8BS

Cassiobury Park, Watford. WD18 7LB

15 Anthony Way, Cippenham. SL1 5PG

Sabine House, Shirley Road, Abbots Langley. WD5 0NF

68 St Mark’s Road, Maidenhead. SL6 6DL

Ewer

10 The Station Arcade, Swiss Cottage. NW3 6HY

King’s Head Inn, 39 Saltisford, Warwick. CV34 4TD

Alphon

7 Hurst Avenue, Horsham. RH12 2EL

Barrington Club, 91 Jermyn Street. SW1Y 6JB

Hotel du Louvre, Place André Malraux, 75001 Paris, France
      Hi All

New member here and always been fascinated by the Hanratty case.

Can i ask what relevance the 2 Warwick addresses have please?

I've read the Paul Foot and Bob Woffinden books many times and dont recall any mention of Warwick (near where i live).

Thanks
      JPR

Comment

Hi JPR,

You are right - my mistake. I was confusing the Old Shire Hall in Warwick with the one in Bedford. In fact I was led astray by looking for a Kings Head in Bedford (where Ewer told his 'cleaners' story to journalists) and only finding one in Warwick. I presume there was such an inn in Bedford and it was renamed.

Nick

Comment

Thank you Nick.

A few years ago when in St John's Wood - I walked down to Maida Vale and found Sutherland Avenue, and when in Rhyl last year I found Ingledene.

Next stop the Stevonia in Blackpool which I'm told is still there.

Cheers

JPR

Comment

Hi Nick,

did you post a while back that the photo collection posted on this Forum by 'Steve', prior to the crash, is still available? If so, how do we find it?

For JPR's info, Steve posted a large number of quality shots of many of the key places in the A6 story, including the Frances' residence, shots of Scotland Road, and many more.

Like you, JPR, over the years I visited quite a few of the key sites, including parking at Taplow Station and then walking along Marsh Lane to The Field. This was about 25 years ago if I recall correctly. I also had a look at where The Old Station Inn used to be. Not massively interesting, in all honesty, but good for soaking up some atmos!

When you went along Sutherland Avenue, what was No 158? Not still The Vienna, presumably?

Graham
            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

I don’t think Steve re-posted all his photos after the crash, but there are several scattered through the ‘a6 murder’ thread.

From Google Maps, it looks like 158 Sutherland Avenue is a private residence now. I wonder how easy it would have been to plant the cartridge cases by gaining access from the green space behind (as has often been suggested) as I cannot see any public entrance to it.

I included the Barrington Club because Woffinden said that is where Justice met Alphon before the Green Park ‘fracas’. But I've since noticed that in Mrs Hanratty’s evidence she said that the meeting was at the Ritz Hotel. She also said that she attended the meeting (not join them only after they had left) and the reason Mr Hanratty was at Green Park tube station was that he refused to meet with Alphon and so she went on alone to do so.

Comment

I don’t think Steve re-posted all his photos after the crash, but there are several scattered through the ‘a6 murder’ thread
                Indeed, and I've come across one or two, but I do seem to recall that someone had 'cached' all of them (if that's the right word...)

From Google Maps, it looks like 158 Sutherland Avenue is a private residence now. I wonder how easy it would have been to plant the cartridge cases by gaining access from the green space behind (as has often been suggested) as I cannot see any public entrance to it.
                Well, yes, but of course if the cases were planted via the green space and the windows then this puts a whole new slant on the case. They could, of course, have been planted frominside the hotel which I'd have thought was the most likely - if indeed they were planted and weren't accidentally dropped there by Hanratty as he re-loaded his gun. As I believe. It was only sheer coincidence that led to their discovery - they could well have laid there in Room 24 for months before they were found.

Graham
                We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

A quick google seems to indicate that 156-158 Sutherland Avenue has been converted into 10 one bedroomed flats, which sell for between Ł450,000 and Ł650,000. That's not bad for an ex-doss house!

Comment

I'm not sure if The Vienna really was the kind of grubby doss-house Foot and Woffinden described. Sutherland Avenue in 1961 was a 'respectable' address. The Ritz it certainly wasn't, but there was a shot of its interior in one of the early documentaries, and I reckon I've stayed in worse places. From what I gather it was one of the many hotels in 1960's London that catered for gay men, at a time when being homosexual was still a criminal offence.

Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                      Hi Nick,

did you post a while back that the photo collection posted on this Forum by 'Steve', prior to the crash, is still available? If so, how do we find it?

For JPR's info, Steve posted a large number of quality shots of many of the key places in the A6 story, including the Frances' residence, shots of Scotland Road, and many more.

Like you, JPR, over the years I visited quite a few of the key sites, including parking at Taplow Station and then walking along Marsh Lane to The Field. This was about 25 years ago if I recall correctly. I also had a look at where The Old Station Inn used to be. Not massively interesting, in all honesty, but good for soaking up some atmos!

When you went along Sutherland Avenue, what was No 158? Not still The Vienna, presumably?

Graham

Thanks Graham

I remember seeing that entry by Steve when I was just a viewer of this site, but I have recently just joined.

As mentioned above, Sutherland Avenue looked a very nice road (a shortish walk form Lord's cricket ground) and looked like they were individual flats now.

The same day I also got the 36A Bus.

When in Rhyl, I found Ingledene (although I think the road's house umbers had changed) and very near the train station, you can see how someone would end up there after arriving by train, there are some shops/pun opposite, one of which I guess waqs the bookies where the man in the book said he had put up distinctive signage (although not there now). I also stayed in the Westminster Hotel Rhyl, which I found out afterwards is where Paul foot/Hanratty Family used years after when appealing for witnesses etc.

Thanks

JPR

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                        Indeed, and I've come across one or two, but I do seem to recall that someone had 'cached' all of them (if that's the right word...)

Well, yes, but of course if the cases were planted via the green space and the windows then this puts a whole new slant on the case. They could, of course, have been planted frominside the hotel which I'd have thought was the most likely - if indeed they were planted and weren't accidentally dropped there by Hanratty as he re-loaded his gun. As I believe. It was only sheer coincidence that led to their discovery - they could well have laid there in Room 24 for months before they were found.

Graham
                        This last sentence set me to thinking .
                        Is it not the case that Hanratty was sent to The Vienna from the Broadway head hotel ,as they were too busy to take him there.And is it not the case that Alphon had to accept the bigger room at a higher price, unless a smaller room became available ,which fortunately due to a cancellation became the case.
                        I'm thinking, if you follow me so far,that business if not booming,was doing very well,thank you very much. The very idea that room 24 would have lay empty for long is a non starter. Incidently Wasn't Alphon advised due to the rental climate at present, he may have to share the room .
                        Someone just made a comment while I was typing "Are you telling me that Alphon and Hanratty shared Accomodation in the same hotel, 24 hours apart,and we're both taken to task ,over the A6 crime?and people think that's just a coincidence,and that apparently they didn't know each other?

Comment

The co-incidence springs from the manager of the Alexandra Court Hotel reporting Alphon to the police. Had this not happened it is difficult to see how Alphon would have figured in the case at all. You could also argue that Hanratty would not have figured either, as it was Alphon’s connection to the murder enquiry that made Crocker feel obliged to report finding the cartridge cases to the police.

A couple more addresses:

Alexandra Court Hotel, 330 – 340 Seven Sisters Road, London. N4 2PE

Juniper Antiques, 57 Greek Street, London. W1D 3DY
                          (there are two front doors at number 57, it is the one on the left)

Comment

If Alphon and Hanratty were really part of a 'conspiracy', does anyone truly think that, when asked where he was on the night of the murder, Alphon would have told the truth, as he did? I don't think so. It also confirms to my mind at least that Alphon was totally unaware of the cartridge cases that were subsequently found in Room 24. To bring the police roaring into The Vienna Hotel would have been tantamount to suicide. As Sherrard said, this case is literally dripping with coincidence.

Graham

Comment

Hi JPR,

don't know if you've visited the lay-by - I stopped there several times when on my business travels for a bacon sarnie from the eats van that was usually there. You'll know that the lay-by today isn't the same as it was in 1961 - the actual site of the crime was where the northbound carriageway now is.
                              Worth stopping off if you're ever in that neck of the woods, though.

Graham

Comment

Working...
                              X