Greatest hoax of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    Although it’s not strictly speaking a hoax I’d also mention those who propound Creationism as opposed to the scientifically proven evolution. I genuinly find it hard to accept that most of these people don’t actually know that evolution is true but they see it as a kind of negative publicity, somehow pulling people away from faith. Let’s face it science can no more disprove religion that the religious can prove the existence of god. Even the Pope accepts evolution (with the obvious caveat that it was started by god of course )So they are either suggesting that all of the most intelligent men and women scientists over the past 100+ years have all misinterpreted the facts simultaneously or that they are all involved in a massive hoax to just discredit religious texts. They have created laughable ‘science’ books and ludicrous ‘Creation museums.’
    I therefore feel on safe grounds in proclaiming a ‘Creation Museum’ as a dangerous hoax.
    Right on the button Herlock!

Carl Sagan wrote a wonderful book called "The Demon Haunted World" which calmly and logically demolishes creationism and a multitude of other fanciful ideas.

If you Haven't read it, I can highly recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
      Right on the button Herlock!

Carl Sagan wrote a wonderful book called "The Demon Haunted World" which calmly and logically demolishes creationism and a multitude of other fanciful ideas.

If you Haven't read it, I can highly recommend it.
      I have that one Barn. In fact I was only thinking of giving it a re-read one day soon.

Of course some Creationists have now taken a side step into ‘intelligent design.’ Thankfully their efforts to get this stuff taught in schools in the USA have been scuppered. Sadly there are still faith schools here that won’t teach evolutionary biology. Some teachers in some schools even get grief for teaching evolution and pressure is put on them to teach that evolution is only one possible explaination. The governments constantly wimps out from doing anything about it for fear of ‘offending.’ mmm where have we heard that before?
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I have that one Barn. In fact I was only thinking of giving it a re-read one day soon.

Of course some Creationists have now taken a side step into ‘intelligent design.’ Thankfully their efforts to get this stuff taught in schools in the USA have been scuppered. Sadly there are still faith schools here that won’t teach evolutionary biology. Some teachers in some schools even get grief for teaching evolution and pressure is put on them to teach that evolution is only one possible explaination. The governments constantly wimps out from doing anything about it for fear of ‘offending.’ mmm where have we heard that before?
        Hi Herlock.
        I'm a Genevolutionist, so I'm good with both. I see two different approaches - scientific myth and scientific method - to the same story.
        there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Although it’s not strictly speaking a hoax I’d also mention those who propound Creationism as opposed to the scientifically proven evolution. I genuinly find it hard to accept that most of these people don’t actually know that evolution is true but they see it as a kind of negative publicity, somehow pulling people away from faith. Let’s face it science can no more disprove religion that the religious can prove the existence of god. Even the Pope accepts evolution (with the obvious caveat that it was started by god of course )So they are either suggesting that all of the most intelligent men and women scientists over the past 100+ years have all misinterpreted the facts simultaneously or that they are all involved in a massive hoax to just discredit religious texts. They have created laughable ‘science’ books and ludicrous ‘Creation museums.’
          I therefore feel on safe grounds in proclaiming a ‘Creation Museum’ as a dangerous hoax.
          Hello Herlock,

One of the worst arguments put forth by creationists (and there are many) is that people accept the theory of evolution because although they know that there is in fact a God they just want to sin and don't want to have to answer to a God. Now think this through -- an atheist somewhere thinks to himself you know I really want to sin but I don't want to be punished by God. Hmmmm. How can I get around this dilemma? I know, I'll just say that there is no God (even though I know in my heart that there is). Now I can sin with impunity and I will believe in evolution to seal the deal.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
            Hi Herlock.
            I'm a Genevolutionist, so I'm good with both. I see two different approaches - scientific myth and scientific method - to the same story.
            What’s that?

Comment

A funny story -- I was watching "The Atheist Experience" on youtube today. A creationist called up to say that even Darwin himself admitted that evolution is impossible. Of course he had Darwin's famous eye quote to back up his assertion. The hosts asked him to read it out loud and when he was done he had this aha gotcha moment. The hosts asked him to continue reading what comes immediately after what he had just said. Of course that is where Darwin goes on to say that while it is very hard to believe that something so complex as the eye could come about through evolution the evidence indicates that that is exactly what happened. The guy was so dumb and so entrenched in his creationist mindset that he couldn't even comprehend that he had just defeated his own argument and made himself look like a fool.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                I'm always fascinated where threads end up going-this one from hoaxes to cricket/ LOL. its like some weird chaos theory
                Hello Abby,

What do you expect from people that drive on the wrong side of the road and don't drink their beer ice cold?

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                  Hello Abby,

What do you expect from people that drive on the wrong side of the road and don't drink their beer ice cold?

c.d.
                  And like cricket

Comment

A funny story -- I was watching "The Atheist Experience" on youtube today
                    I'm not sure I believe you.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hello Herlock,

One of the worst arguments put forth by creationists (and there are many) is that people accept the theory of evolution because although they know that there is in fact a God they just want to sin and don't want to have to answer to a God. Now think this through -- an atheist somewhere thinks to himself you know I really want to sin but I don't want to be punished by God. Hmmmm. How can I get around this dilemma? I know, I'll just say that there is no God (even though I know in my heart that there is). Now I can sin with impunity and I will believe in evolution to seal the deal.

c.d.
                      I’ve always been staggered that anyone could come up with that one. I’ve even heard Peter Hitchens (whois an exceptionally intelligent man) say that some people use atheism to allow them to sin. What! So someone says “ I want to live a life of sin but I’m scared of being tortured horribly for all eternity so I’ll pretend that god doesn’t exist (even though I’m certain that he does). Then I can sin all I like and, because I’m pretending god doesn’t exist, i can’t get tortured. Brilliant. Oh......errr hold on....I think I’ve missed something here?.”
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Hello Abby,

c.d.
                        We don’t like our beer too cold so we can drink it quicker
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

A funny story -- I was watching "The Atheist Experience" on youtube today. A creationist called up to say that even Darwin himself admitted that evolution is impossible. Of course he had Darwin's famous eye quote to back up his assertion. The hosts asked him to read it out loud and when he was done he had this aha gotcha moment. The hosts asked him to continue reading what comes immediately after what he had just said. Of course that is where Darwin goes on to say that while it is very hard to believe that something so complex as the eye could come about through evolution the evidence indicates that that is exactly what happened. The guy was so dumb and so entrenched in his creationist mindset that he couldn't even comprehend that he had just defeated his own argument and made himself look like a fool.

c.d.
                          It’s insane that people still use that partial argument. It reminds me of barristers in court who question a witness but cut them off part way through their answer to get the response that they want.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                            And like cricket
                            We’ve tried to educate the world with cricket Abby but have failed miserably.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Militant atheists are almost as annoying as religious fundies.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                                Militant atheists are almost as annoying as religious fundies.
                                exactly. both think they know for sure. Nobody does-no one is that smart or has that much knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                                X