scan of Hanratty statement re Rhyl alibi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickB View Post
    Alfie and Sherlock have quoted from Hawser, so I assume they have copies.

The map was presented to Hanratty during his cross-examination. He was unable to place the guest house, except to say that it was on the seaward side of the railway line.

I think he would have been asked about the coach station’s location then, particularly if the prosecution wanted to show that he only had to fall out of the bus to be in Kinmel Street. But if he used Crescent Road he would know it was close to the sea and therefore not adjacent to Kinmel Street.

We are hampered again by newspapers reporting only bits of his evidence. However if the prosecution had been able to score on this it would be more likely to be reported, so my guess is that he pointed out it was a different coach station.
    There looks to be a discrepancy with regards to the cinema near the humped back bridge also. Recently posted map shows Odeon , Natalie had a photo of the
    Apollo near humped back bridge, (on page one of thread,)what could this mean, cinema name change, or two cinemas close to bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by moste View Post
      There looks to be a discrepancy with regards to the cinema near the humped back bridge also. Recently posted map shows Odeon , Natalie had a photo of the
      Apollo near humped back bridge, (on page one of thread,)what could this mean, cinema name change, or two cinemas close to bridge?
      The Odeon became Apollo Bingo and there were two other cinemas on the High Street in 1961, The Regal and The PLaza, see posts 45 and 50 above.

Comment

Originally posted by Spitfire View Post
        The Odeon became Apollo Bingo and there were two other cinemas on the High Street in 1961, The Regal and The PLaza, see posts 45 and 50 above.
        I've even tracked down what each cinema was showing on Tuesday 22nd and Wednesday 23rd August 1961 . The Odeon had "Flame on the Streets", The Plaza had "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" and the Regal was showing "The Guns of Navarone".

Comment

Originally posted by Spitfire View Post
          [URL="http://mttrust.co.uk/crosville-dfb-43-256-sfm/4546661446"] My question is, did the trial proceed on the basis that the coach station to which Hanratty travelled was the one at the junction of High St and Kinmel St? Does anyone have a copy of the Hawser report with the map of Rhyl used at the trial?
          I don't have the map, but this quote from Hawser points to the trial being conducted on the basis that Jim alighted at the High St bus station:

"The salient points were these: (a) Kinmel Street is very easy to find. There are two good landmarks for it: the Odeon Cinema and the Bus Station. ... (The map of Rhyl which was produced during the trial shows that the Bus Station is immediately adjacent to and to the north of Kinmel St: and the Railway Station is on the other side of – that is to the south of Kinmel Street ..."

Comment

Working...
          X