Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Recording

Hi,

Does anyone know what the rules are around video recording in public places (ie in the street)? Obviously if you're just doing a bit on your mobile phone or your digital camera on holiday I doubt the Ol' Bill are going to come and cart you off - but I am planning a project at the minute which will likely attract a *little* more attention than that and mean filming for a couple of hours or more, on and off, and so I was wondering what the legal/ logistical position is?

I know there are plenty of people on here who have experience of videoing fairly large scale events (ie the 2009 conference tour) as well as filmmakers - can any of you advise whether I need to worry about licenses or permission from local council(s), or - God forbid - rushing after anyone who walks into shot to get them to sign a release form?

Not for profit, if that makes any difference.

Any help appreciated.

Hi
    There is an article on the Guardian website entitled
    What you need to know about filming in public

You can find this at
    As soon as you set up a camcorder and a tripod in public, you're probably inconveniencing someone. But filming on location doesn't have to be a headache

Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks Chris, that's brilliant.

Comment

Glad it was of use
        For more detailed info you should see

Comment

Found that site through the original link as it happens - a very useful little website. Surprised to see that E1 doesn't appear on the list of 'popular filming sights' where they reccomend extra notice, that said I am not complaining.

We will only be a 2 man crew and from the sounds of it that will fall into something of a grey area, whereby we could probably get away without permission - we will be using a mix of Steadicam and handheld, and moving around quite a lot, but just to be safe we will atleast contact the local authority, hopefully they will just say 'ok then' and that will be the end of it - £2m public liability insurance sounds a bit scary though!

I am a bit unsure whether the project qualifies as 'non-commercial' or not (ie no pesky release forms), as while it won't make us any money it will be made publicly available - and I know how I would feel about suddenly turning up on the internet walking down Commercial Street. But hopefully the authority will be able to let us know about that.

Many thanks again Chris - watch this space as they say, of course there will also be updates on the project on my website - once I get that working - that's the current challenge for this famous techophobe. Hmmm. Back to it, as it happens.

Comment

Working...
          X