Barlow and Watt investigate the Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Radical Joe View Post
    Type in 'barlow and watts' on Google Video - the whole series is available through there.
    Is there any reasonably easy way to download a version that will play for more than just the first five minutes?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      Is there any reasonably easy way to download a version that will play for more than just the first five minutes?
      Hi Chris,

Try this link. There's a list of documentaries along with the Barlow and Watts ones.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
        Try this link. There's a list of documentaries along with the Barlow and Watts ones.

Yes, that's where I've been trying to download from, but the problem is that even though I've installed their proprietary software, all I see when I click "Download Video" is a message telling me to install their software.

But maybe it's just me ...

Comment

That's a bit strange. Sorry I don't know what to suggest.

Comment

As a rule, it is I who have difficulties with technical things; but I've been enjoying the videos all afternoon. Thanks. Although people should be aware that there was never an "s" on the second guy's name. It's Watt.

Comment

I experienced the same problem but sorted it by ignoring the desktop Veoh icon and going into the Start menu. There, I was prompted to download a Flash plug-in - strange, since I already have Flash. Anyway, once I'd downloaded and installed the said software, the Barlow and Watt video ran normally. That said, it looks as though Episode One has been pulled.

Hope this helps.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Then I'm glad that I saw Episode 1 this afternoon. Why don't they just leave it alone? This is great stuff!

Comment

P.S. Although, for all their research, I notice that they couldn't spell Nichols correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Garry Wroe View Post
                    I experienced the same problem but sorted it by ignoring the desktop Veoh icon and going into the Start menu. There, I was prompted to download a Flash plug-in - strange, since I already have Flash. Anyway, once I'd downloaded and installed the said software, the Barlow and Watt video ran normally. That said, it looks as though Episode One has been pulled.
                    Thanks - I discovered the same thing. I think it was a question of the Flash viewer not being a recent enough version.

Episode 1 doesn't seem to appear in search results, but I found it here with the help of Rob's link:

Comment

The Ripper File

I have transferred the whole series on to DVD. Copies a mere £10 plus p&p.

Comment

Thanks, Chris. I'm unsure as to the age of this site, but it does appear to be experiencing a few teething problems. File size is an issue, too. Episode Two is about 500mb and was downloading last night at 3kb/sec. At that rate, it'll complete just as the Christmas turkey is coming out of the oven.

Thanks again.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Thanks, Chris. I'm unsure as to the age of this site, but it does appear to be experiencing a few teething problems. File size is an issue, too. Episode Two is about 500mb and was downloading last night at 3kb/sec. At that rate, it'll complete just as the Christmas turkey is coming out of the oven.
                          Yes, I found the download very slow, and worse still the file was unplayable when it had finally downloaded. Apparently I needed to install yet another bit of software, but when I followed the link to do so I saw a "file not found" message.

But I haven't have any problems so far watching the episodes online.

Comment

At that rate, it'll complete just as the Christmas turkey is coming out of the oven.
                            Something to look forward to, Garry!
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Yes, Sam. That and a specially extended edition of Deal Or No Deal. Should be quite some Christmas.

Or maybe not.

Comment

All I had to do(on my imac) was download the Veoh player, and sure enough I could finally watch episodes 2-4 on my browser.

I'm so grateful that they're posted(though I sadly missed the missing ep #1). These were excellent-much better than i expected...in fact I was astoished at the approach. It could serve as a very good and solid primer to the murders, in more ways than one. Such a series could in my opinion never be made here in the US-much too intelligent and factual. The two actors who played Barlow & Watt made me miss the few UK series I used to be able to see on our local PBS station here in L.A. in the 70s; wry, understated, appealing. It also had me wanting to catch some of their other, actual shows starring more of themselves--yeah, good luck with that, right?

But so much detail! And the clever cross-cutting between the officials, press, police and witnesses-all in their own words! And casting not glamour pusses but people close to who really lived in the east end at that time. Amazing. It'd be great to do a JtR series like this, using this "actual words" approach, but with a bigger budget. Again--wishful thinking. But if only!

I was dismayed with proffered solution(or one of them, I gather): the dark portents of the Masonic idea (I only got as far as the end of ep 4) but after all, it was-what? 1973? given everything, they did their homework and it showed. Kudos from me.

Comment

Working...
                                X