Evidence found from Amelia Dyer case in 1896

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evidence found from Amelia Dyer case in 1896

She was a baby-farmer and killed many of the infants.

Evidence used to convict Amelia Dyer, who killed up to 400 babies, is donated to a museum.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Whoa... What a thing to find in one's attic!
    - Ginger

Comment

Gives hope that there may still be something out there about Jack.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

? Brown paper packaging, tied up with strings...

Mike
        huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
          Whoa... What a thing to find in one's attic!
          I'm alarmed by the comment that the detectives were expected to bring the evidence with them to court. This stuff was apparently taken home afterwards and forgotten about until a descendant or other relative found it. Wow-- talk about lax rules about chain of authority!

Glad to see the tag was still with it, and that the finder did the correct thing and gave it to a museum.
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
            ? Brown paper packaging, tied up with strings...

Mike
            Just some of Amelia's "favorite things"?

Jeff

Comment

Dear me!

What does "a loft" mean in the UK? If we said the below (from the link) in the US, we might think it was the overhead storage part of a barn...

<< "And so the packaging - which was evidence to convict Dyer of Helena Fry's murder - had likely been kept and stored in the loft since 1896." >>

Comment

Two nations divided by a single language...

Originally posted by Merry_Olde_Mary View Post
                Dear me!

What does "a loft" mean in the UK? If we said the below (from the link) in the US, we might think it was the overhead storage part of a barn...

<< "And so the packaging - which was evidence to convict Dyer of Helena Fry's murder - had likely been kept and stored in the loft since 1896." >>
                From Wikipedia:

"A loft can be an upper storey or attic in a building, directly under the roof (US usage) or just a storage space under the roof usually accessed by a ladder (British usage)."

I figured it was in the attic.
                ---------------
                ---------------

Comment

Curious spelling in the transcription. If this was a faithful rendering of Dyer's handwritten statement, she was spelling words like 'tell' and 'will' with only one 'l' but on one occasion spells 'will' correctly.

Comment

The tone sounds like it was dictated to a police officer, who was coaching her in certain directions. ("I have made a full statement I have told the truth and nothing but the whole truth...I have wrote out a true and faithful statement of everything...") So I don't think those would have been her misspellings, but someone on staff's...

Comment

Working...
                    X