No announcement yet.

Diemschutz and Westow Hill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The original engineering room still stands and has been turned into the Crystal Palace museum - open to the public on Sundays.

The base of one of the water towers still stands nearby.

Comment

Hi Suzi

Those towers used gravity feed to propel water through the water pipes. Water was pumped to the top of the towers, and released in a downward mannner the resulting momentum of the drop forced the water through the pipes. Ah you might say why didn't they just use the pumps to pump the water through the pipes, well the pressure generated by the drop far outwayed the pressure that could be achieved by the pumps.

All the best

Observer
      Last edited by Observer; 05-27-2008, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Hi All,

The Grove Tavern, in Lordship Lane East Dulwich (now a Harvester), was where the pony is supposed to have taken its master for a pint on the way back to Berner.

In 1987, before I had ever heard of Diemschutz or his nag, hubby took this nag there the night before I went into hospital to have our daughter.

I also did jury service at Westow Hill a couple of years previously.

Click image for larger version

Name:	grovetavern.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	654104

Love,

Caz
        X
        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

James B Cook

Mr. Cook, the architect of the Crystal Palace and the Victoria and Albert Bridge later moved to America. He designed Tate County Courthouse in Senatobia, Mississippi.

Roy

Tate County courthouse in Senatobia, Mississippi. This duplicates a shot already in the U.S. County Courthouses group. I almost didn't stop to see this courthouse, since Tate County was already in the US County Courthouses group, and I expected that the failing light would be gone before I got there. Luckily, the clouds parted and I was rewarded with a sunset view of an absolutely beautiful building. I drove right by it the first time I saw it, assuming it was a church because I mistook the tower and fleur-de-lis decoration for a cross-topped steeple. This is an HDR image image produced from a dark and light "exposure" from a RAW digital "negative". [see also: cornerstone, tower detail, other courthouses] [P-20060704-194053-raw-hdr-crop8x10]
          Sink the Bismark

Comment

Mr. Cook also designed the Gayoso Hotel in Memphis.

Fun88 เป็นเว็บพนันออนไลน์น่าชท่อถือชั้นนำ ประเทศไทย นำเสนอเกมที่หลากหลาย โปรโมชั่นน่าดึงดูด ทางเข้าfun88มือถือ และ PC ล่าสุดที่ให้โดย Randy Voepel

It still stands, minus the front columns and is apartments. (but watch out for the $350 cat deposit)

Roy
            Sink the Bismark

Comment

Here's a lovely view of the city including the gherkin from Westow Hill. I used to live around WH and the hill is incredibly steep.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X