No announcement yet.

Richard III and the princes in the Tower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to remind you all of the complicity of this one -I'll post a couple of pics and something that made me laugh!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	jt3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	654711

Name:	jt4.jpg
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	654712

Name:	jt5.jpg
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	654713

Suz x
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

As a matter of interest this is worth a read about the funeral/death of Josephine Tey http://www.r3.org/fiction/mysteries/tey_butler.html
      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

On a slightly different note, did anyone read A A Gill's piece in the Sunday Times Magazine on the battle of Towton, fought not long before Bosworth? Very interesting (if you can put up with Gill's inate and rather irritating snobbery), and as good a description as I've ever read about how mediaeval battles were fought.

Bosworth was one of the last battles fought on British soil in which archers played an important part. Just out of interest...

Cheers,

Graham
        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post

Bosworth was one of the last battles fought on British soil in which archers played an important part. Just out of interest...
          Certainly the last where both sides had large numbers...Stoke in 1487(the REAL last battle in the WotR) saw them used against the Yorkist Irish & Flemish troops & they did severe damage to the Scots at Flodden in 1513...Went over to Bosworth a couple of months ago,The re-fitted visitor centre is very good.
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
            Hi all... just picked this up-

'The Daughter of Time'-Josephine Tey- is one of my favourites and as far as I'm prepared to say here is a reasonable theory- for a mildly entertaining case

How bizarre is that Jeff- Wonder who posts it??

Suzi
            Suzi,

The last I heard there was a fairly well established RIII society here in the USA. Perhaps they posted it?

Cel
            "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
              If anyone missed it, every August 22nd there is a notice among the death notices in the New York Times in honor of King Richard III and the other loyal soldiers of his who fell at Bosworth Field. I thought I should make note of it here.

Jeff
              Hi Jeff,

You didn't happen to save a copy of that issue, did you?

Hope you're well.

Best,

Cel
              "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Phryne Fisher View Post
                I.

The other thing is Shakespeare 'sucking up' to those in power, or possibly taking bribes: probably the thought of getting his head chopped off if he portrayed anyone connected with the PTB in a bad light was enough to persuade him to treat them more kindly than they may have deserved
                A very reasonable assumption, Phryne! And probably most accurate!

Best,

Celesta

Comment

Originally posted by Celesta View Post
                  Hi Jeff,

You didn't happen to save a copy of that issue, did you?

Hope you're well.

Best,

Cel
                  Hi Celesta,

I thought I saved the announcement but I appear to have lost it. However, I find I have one from last year that is similar in wording:

THis was from the New York Times Obituary page of Wednesday, August 22, 2007, P. A17.

PLANTAGENET -- Richard. Remember before God, Richard III, King of England and of those who fell on Bosworth Field, having kept faith, 22 August 1485.
                  Loyaulte me lie. http://www.r3.org

As you can see it is from the Richard III Society. I also have a 2002
                  copy of the same notice with the address

Richard III Society, American Branch,
                  P.O. Box 13786,
                  New Orleans, L.A. 70185 - 3786.

I don't know if that particular address is active...especially with hurricaine Gustav about to repulverize the Crescent City.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                  X