Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by RockySullivan 1 hour and 29 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by curious 2 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by curious 2 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by RockySullivan 3 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by RockySullivan 4 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by Abby Normal 13 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - (7 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 10-11-2017, 02:18 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Flower View Post
Yes, there are some who believe Tex Watson was the driving force for the murders, for his own drug-related reasons.

I think they're wrong, and it's usually quite apparent that they're being selective with the evidence. Cherry-picking. Others say the HS motive was sensationalist bs that even other prosecutors thought Bugliosi was over-egging, even if Manson was the mind behind the spree.

I think they're wrong.

I know this is OT so that's all, I promise
Understood Henry. Thanks for the info. Another book that I need to re-read

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:34 AM
Commisioner

Some of the muppets on JTR forums recently commented on my article about Robert Smith's book. I'm not a member of JTR forums, and it's unseemly to respond to posts on JTR Forums on Casebook, so my response to the muppets can be found here:

www.orsam.co.uk/responsetothemuppets.htm

There was also, for some reason, a response on JTR Forums to my post earlier in this thread about Rod McNeil's ion migration test and I have responded to this in a separate article here:

www.orsam.co.uk/responsetoatwit.htm
Old 10-17-2017, 09:49 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
Some of the muppets on JTR forums recently commented on my article about Robert Smith's book. I'm not a member of JTR forums, and it's unseemly to respond to posts on JTR Forums on Casebook, so my response to the muppets can be found here:

There was also, for some reason, a response on JTR Forums to my post earlier in this thread about Rod McNeil's ion migration test and I have responded to this in a separate article here:

What a charmer you are, Orsam - a real credit to the field.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:33 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarnett View Post
What a charmer you are, Orsam - a real credit to the field.
Well, Gary, I didn't mention you by name but it was, of course, you who said of my article about Robert Smith's book:

"The primary purpose of the piece seems to be to show how clever the author is."

What an outrageous, unpleasant and absurd comment that was. As if I need to show anyone how clever I am! It's almost as absurd a comment as when Tom Wescott called you "petty and jealous" for questioning the hospital record he produced in his book. Feel free to challenge my arguments and conclusions by all means but it's quite wrong and unacceptable of you to impugn my motives in such a manner.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:02 PM
Chief Inspector

"...I rather thought that this was the most important point I made in the article but no-one in JTR Forums seemed to want to discuss it..."

Perhaps, since you appear to be interested in what is posted about your article in JTR Forums you could join and respond directly instead of choosing a circular route of response?

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888
Old 10-17-2017, 12:19 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
"...I rather thought that this was the most important point I made in the article but no-one in JTR Forums seemed to want to discuss it..."

Perhaps, since you appear to be interested in what is posted about your article in JTR Forums you could join and respond directly instead of choosing a circular route of response?
Well you quote me saying that no-one in JTR Forums wants to discuss a particular (important) point and then comment by way of what seems to be a non sequitur by suggesting I respond in JTR Forums!!

But there's nothing to respond to on that point in JTR Forums because no-one has said anything about it! That was what I was saying in my article.

Perhaps you might want to select a different quote from my article to illustrate your post and perhaps I'll respond, otherwise I won't bother.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:34 PM
Inspector

Members of JtR Forums are just as capable of responding over here unless they have managed to get themselves banned for bad behavior. I don't believe anyone contributing to this discussion falls into that category.

JM
Old 10-17-2017, 12:39 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmenges View Post
Members of JtR Forums are just as capable of responding over here unless they have managed to get themselves banned for bad behavior. I don't believe anyone contributing to this discussion falls into that category.

JM
exactly.

But I doubt they'll leave the comfort of there warm cozy self back patting echo chamber. I would be surprised if they did. But would be interesting, though probably short lived.

lets see if Gary steps up to the challenge since hes already here.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 10-17-2017, 02:24 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post

Hi David
I read your first article listed above. well done as usual!

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 10-18-2017, 09:00 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
The issue with the diary's use of the phrase "one off instance", in the specific way in which it uses it, has been known for quite some time. I myself raised the issue eight or nine years ago, and I know I wasn't the first to do so. In 2008/9, I used Google Books searches to count how frequently certain diary phrases turned up, and when those phrases first appeared in print. From that, I was able to produce graphs like the one below, which should speak volumes about when the diary was most likely to have been written:

Attachment 18282

The details will have changed slightly since I did my original survey, but I would expect the overall findings to be broadly the same. Namely, that if we see the three phrases "one off", "top myself" AND "spreads mayhem" occurring in the same document, the likelihood is that it was written in the latter third of the 20th Century.
Dear all,

Looking at the above graph it appears there is no mention found of the phrase "top myself." before the 1980's. This is interesting and links in with the main point I was going to make which was referring to the Wearside Jack hoaxer John Humble, as he used the phrase in his infamous tape that he sent to George Oldfield in 1979. Maybe that was too late to be included in the 70's but it was obviously in common use for him to know about it and use it.

The main point was that the hoaxer was referred to for years as a "super-hoaxer" and was assumed to have been hugely clever to have committed the hoax and got away with it. When found he was, of course, a hopeless drunk who could hardly tie his own laces! So basically, anyone who thinks that a hoax of the diary's level couldn't have been perpetrated by someone like Mike Barrett should take that into account.

regards

tecs