Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Patrick's Day

Top O' the Mornin' to ya!

True, St. Patrick's Day does not actually happen till next Wednesday but since this is the Saturday before, I imagine more people will be out celebrating it today than on a weekeday. So, what is eveeryone doing to celebrate this most intoxicating of holidays? As for me personally, I will be doing the Northeast Philly Erin Express, which takes patrons via bus to every Irish pub in the Northeast section of the city. Only crappy part is it is pouring rain out there. Oh well, a little water never hurt anyone, right?
    I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

I will be waiting for the day itself to celebrate and as usual I will be hoisting a few in honor of the good Saint. Might go out and brave the crowds if I am in the mood. By tradition, I also listen to Irish music. I have a CD of Irish drinking songs that is absolutely excellent and never fails to lift my spirits. It is a certified toe tapper. If you go to amazon.com and put in "Irish drinking songs" as your search term, it is the first one that comes up. Shows a bunch of men at the bar with their glasses raised. The songs are by Tommy Makem and the Clancy Brothers as well as the Dubliners. I can't recommend it enough. I also have some other Irish music that is really good. Mary Black for instance and other people. I try to save "Danny Boy" for after I have had a few. Always makes me mist up (but in a manly way).

Long Live Ireland and may you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows your dead.

c.d.

Comment

As my family came from Ireland as well Oy'm wearing a wee bit of a green sprig in me hat right now and listening to "Wearing of the Green" and "Rosin the Bow".

I would add to Mary Black the Chieftains as well.

Happy St. Patty's Day to ya all!
      Last edited by Hunter; 03-13-2010, 08:46 PM.
      Best Wishes,
      Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

As I am neither Irish, nor Catholic nor a drunk, this is quite possibly the most pointless holiday of the year for me.

Let all Oz be agreed;
        I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
          As I am neither Irish, nor Catholic nor a drunk, this is quite possibly the most pointless holiday of the year for me.
          You beat me to it, Ally.

Here in England we are expected to celebrate St Patrick's Day, St Andrew's Day and St David's Day (the latter two the patron saints of Scotland and Wales respectively) but St George, our own patron saint (and that of Russia too, as it happens) goes unremarked. Due, I suspect, to PC which tells us that it is wrong to be patriotic for your own country, if you're English.

Graham
          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
            I thus have two good reasons to celebrate this day.

Amitiés,
            David

Comment

Well let's see David,

I don't believe your Irish... and I'm not Catholic.

By golly we have something in common.

Cheers.
              Best Wishes,
              Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

I wonder how Mary Jane spent her St. Patrick's Day?
                I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Originally posted by JTRSickert View Post
                  I wonder how Mary Jane spent her St. Patrick's Day?
                  If she'd got any sense, she'd have spent it keeping her gob shut and trying not to let on that she was Irish.

Graham
                  We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

I'm Irish,Scottish and English Can't celebrate one thing without annoying the others

Maybe Mary felt more Welsh having grown up there.

I'm rather annoyed with old Patrick if he hadn't gotten the place all Christian we might still have Real Druids

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post
                      I'm rather annoyed with old Patrick if he hadn't gotten the place all Christian we might still have Real Druids
                      Yeah, but their ceremonies would have been constantly interrupted by snakes.

Comment

Don't be so sure I think it was all a scam involving legless Lizards

Comment

Well I may not be Irish or catholic but any excuse for a party and I'm there! Here in Birmingham we have a large Irish population and every year sees a big parade through the city centre. This year it took place on Sunday when aprox.80,000 people turned out. The Guiness was flowing freely I can tell and I did my bit to try and soak it up!http://www.birminghammail.net/news/t...7319-26033171/

Comment

Well ,the day is upon us. All Ripperologists have a drink and offer up a toast to all those that fell victim to Jack's hand. May angels voices sing thee to thy rest.

Comment

Working...
                            X